“Accomodation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Accomodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

The hotel is situated near the main road going to Melrose centre. There's a path at the side of the hotel leading to the river Tweed for a leisure walk after breakfast/dinner on a dry day/night. My room is a single room but quite comfortable. Bed linens and towels are changed daily although it can be reused for one more day. I just wish I can opt for a wash today /tomorrow if there's an option sign for them. The water pressure from the shower head is a bit weak but the pressure in the wash basin is ok. Tea/coffee is enough in the room and if more are needed can be requested at reception. Wish they can provide some pens and note pads in the room to make little notes. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Overall the hotel is clean but some carpet stains in my room should be treated as soon as it's vacated. The menu for dinner is good and the service is good at mealtimes. I only saw one performer on the entertainment night but he's the resident performers and quite good too.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Leni S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I will pass your kind comments on at my next team meeting to the staff mentioned.

I will have maintenance investigate your comments regarding water pressure.

Hope to see you again soon,

Luke Binks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

My friend and I returned yesterday from a Shearing's holiday, staying at this hotel for four nights. Our room was adequate. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom on the whole very clean, apart from brown gunge seeping up from the bath plug when the sink taps were turned on for more than a few seconds. I also had to report a lump of "pigeon activity" on the window, which I have to admit was dealt with almost immediately. However, as the windows looked as they hadn't ever been cleaned, it was impossible to know how long it had been there...

The hotel staff at Reception, in the bar and in the dining-room were both helpful and friendly. However, the meal on our first night was, to put it politely, unacceptable. I chose the haddock, which was a tiny piece of frozen packet fish, with chips - 8 of them, very anaemic-looking - carrots and leek, which was mashed to look like cabbage, That and the carrots were overcooked, the carrots both appearing and tasting like little orange leather buttons. My friend ordered chicken, which she said was very nice (not what a group of guests with whom we had made friends described it as being, however) but the mashed potato was apparently "disgusting" and clearly out of a packet. I preceded my main course with what had been described as asparagus soup but turned out to be an upper-class version of coloured, lukewarm water, barely warm. The mixed ice-cream was delicious, but then again one can hardly go wrong with that, and the tea and coffee were very nice. Vinegar, sauces and mayonnaise are presented in miniature sachets, hardly the way to serve such items in what is meant classified a 4-star hotel. The food did improve as the week went on however, but nevertheless for a 4-star hotel, it was well below standard. On the second day we were given a packed lunch, which was far better than the previous night's evening meal.

Breakfast was adequate, but my friend and I would have appreciated it had the glasses for the various fruit juices not been stored upside-down on dirty trays, resulting in me liberally wiping the rims before pouring in the juice; far better to store them the correct way up - then all they would need would be a wipe round of the inside with a serviette if required, with only the stem of the glasses resting on the dirty trays - far more hygienic and, I would have thought, common sense.

The towels in the bathroom were spotlessly clean, of good quality, and changed daily. Two tiny bars of soap were provided, but again, it is a 4-star hotel, so there should have been a bathroom cabinet with a few little freebies such as shower gel and shampoo in them, as well as extra storage for our own items. I have never yet stayed in a guest-house that didn't offer one or two freebies, let alone a four-star hotel. There was what looked like an air-conditioning unit, but this was no use as there were no vents in the room that we could see.

The carpets look a bit tired, and the ballroom is at the moment being refurbished, therefore the entertainment, which incidentally was excellent, is temporarily being held in the bar area, a very pleasant room but with no air-conditioning, so it was rather hot in there. We found a sign directing people to the Games Room, but weren't able to find the Games Room.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but issues such as a lump of plaster missing from a section of the wall in the dining-room, dirty windows in the bedroom, and a handle on the window which would definitely fall off if used too often, are three of many things that need dealing with, because the small touches add up. It is always cheaper to maintain a building, whether a private house/flat or a guest-house or hotel, as it needs doing rather than allowing things to fall behind, resulting in the inevitability of having to spend money on extensive maintenance work in one fell swoop, especially (sorry to reiterate) bearing in mind that this is meant to be a 4-star hotel.

Having said all this, I would definitely stay there again, and with the adjustments I have mentioned, I would also recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: The second floor is a good choice - not a great view from our window, but that only matters if you...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear EssexPussycat,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am afraid you must have booked the wrong hotel when coming on holiday as we have never been or want to be a 4 star hotel. We operate at a budget 3 star, so that we can offer good value to our customers. I mean the price you paid was certainly not a 4 star price.

All your comments raised will be looked into and actioned where needed.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have just come back from this hotel I was discussed by the state of my room there was dirt all over the walls n stains all over the carpet mold in and around the bath room dirt and dust on every thing sanitary towel wrappers in the draw by my bed . The food was ok but not a lot of it all frozen veg and even some of the salad was frozen on this trip I took a service user and even his room was the same he had a copper pipe goin into his toilet n I was told it was a overflow pipe this place is shocking the only great thing I can say about this hotel is the entertainment I would never use this hotel again

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
MrBinksGM, Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Jo P,

Having read through your review with great detail I firstly would like to offer my deepest apologies. I have however undertaken a full inspection on the room and some of the comments regarding your room are correct. I am in the process of rectifying all points raised at the present.

I do hope your experience with us here at The Waverley Castle has not put you off travelling with Shearings in the future.

All the best on your future travels

Daniel Robert McDonald
Trainee Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My husband and I were at the lovely hotel, we requested the premier room and can I say it was worth the extra money. The room was just lovely, and they left us wine chocolates, basket of fruit and 2 bottles of still water and 2 bottles of sparking water. The staff were all very friendly and the food was great. The entertainment was also very good. Thank you for making us feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Go for the premier room as you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Joanne M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed for stay with us. Room 110 is a great front facing room which many of our guests seem to enjoy.

I will pass to kind comments on at my next team meeting and I would love the chance to welcome you back again soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I need to read tripadvisor reviews before booking any more hotel. From the outside the hotel looked fine surrounded on all sides by mature trees. Didn't expect what I found on the inside though. We were given ROOM 1(should have read the reviews). Can only really repeat what other reviews have said. Grubby carpets, TV only received 4 channels. Lack of storage space (medium sized cheap wardrobe and one drawer in the dressing table) totally inadequate. Depressing decor, 3 walls of some shade of grey I think we decided it was. The bathroom was less than basic. An old bathroom suite of which the bath looked like the original survivor from the 1970's. Replacement basin and toilet that didn't match. The bathroom had had a splash of paint at sometime to spruce it up. The splashes were still on the tops of the bath taps, the wall brackets of the towel heater and the edges of the tiles and toilet. The tiles had also been painted white but the paint was now flaking off to reveal the original blue colour. There was only one small shelf for toiletries and no toilet roll holder. A major problem with ROOM 1 is that it is located below the dining room/kitchen area. Before during and after meal times you have the sound of things being dragged on the floor. Things being dropped on the floor, but worst of all the constant sound of staff walking about. Some seem to wear heavier footwear than others. An acceptable level of noise is usually attained around 9.45 in the evening.
The rest of the hotel I saw was just tatty and scruffy. The bedroom doors had a variety of different (cheap) handles. Some doors didn't have handles. Dirty paint work on doors around handles and finger plates, but my favourite had got to be the main handrails on the stairs fixed to the walls by what could only be described as ugly pieces of scrap wood from somebody's shed. Somebody should hang their head in shame.
Breakfast was okay.
As for the staff I'll have to split them into 2 categories. The young staff in the dining room were very good. Always pleasant, helpful, polite and smiling. The receptionist on the other hand wasn't. We arrived back at the hotel on Sunday evening around 7, the receptionist was nowhere to be found. After a 10 minute wait (and enough shouting to raise the dead) we went in search of her and was finally told she had just left the dining room. I found her in the corridor with a plate of food in her hand. I told her we had been waiting for 10 minutes for our key but no apology she was more concerned about eating her dinner before it got cold. Totally unprofessional management. We shall not return.

Room Tip: It's been said before but I'll say it again. If you are offered ROOM1 refuse it.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

I have read your review in great detail, I believe that not only were you harsh; but there were certain parts of your review that are just not true.

The wardrobe in your room certainly costs more and is bigger than the usual standard wardrobes you buy for your home. There is enough space to comfortably store 16 hanging items and it also has 4 big compartments for you to store your folder cloth items. As a hotel our wardrobes are designed to the needs of our guests and for a 3 day stay i believe that is more than enough space for clothes.

I have checked the maintenance book and at no point did you notify so there was an issue with your TV.

Your bedroom carpet was brand new in December 2013 as was the bedroom. While your bathroom is down to be done on the refurbishment plan, it is however clean and fully functional.

Your comments regarding the doors, hand rail and receptionist is completely exaggerated.

I wish you every luck with your future travels.

Regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I should have read the reviews before booking. Many reviewers complain about room 315 being in a very poor condition and I can confirm after my stay it is disgusting with filthy carpets and very
poorly maintained.
I am sure the hotel will respond by saying they are in the middle of a refurbishment programme,
but why let this room in the first place?
Breakfast was poor with cold food and very small portions.
Will give this hotel a big swerve next time I am in Scotland.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Regards,

Harrogate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is my second time here. Every time I come here we are greeted with homely and friendly staff.

The food at the hotel was just as good as before. Dinning room was a bit hot, but then again it was nearly 28oC outside.

Hotel was great value for money and will be back again soon.

Room Tip: refurbish rooms are really good
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Lu B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly. I shall pass your comments on at my next team meeting,

Luke Binks

Been to Bay Waverley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!