“Excellent Value for Money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Clovenfords Country Inn

You added The Clovenfords Country Inn to your Saves list
The Clovenfords Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Vine Street | Clovenfords, Galashiels TD1 3LU, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Galashiels
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had stayed here before so it was my first choice when looking for a hotel when working in nearby Galashiels. We stayed in the accessible room on ground floor and only complaint would be that there is no heating in the bath/shower room and it was cold in there in the morning. Had I thought about it we could have left the door open during the night and allowed the heat from bedroom to warm it up.
Some of the fittings in the shower room need attention ie the shower hose and head need replaced and the shower seat is broken but I know that the hotel is in first year of new ownership and is work in progress so these things were minor.

The room was clean and comfortable and even though our room was right at front door we were not disturbed at all and a good sleep was the order of the night. Choice of breakfast was fine with cereals, fruit juice, tea and coffee then choice of hot breakfast, toast etc. All in all I would say that it was definitely value for money and I would have no second thoughts about booking again.

Room Tip: We stayed in ground floor accessible room which is right next to front door and there is a bus stop...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Spent three nights here last week. This is our second visit, our first being 3 years ago with the previous owners, hence we left it this long to return. Having seen that it had new owners we decided to give it another go. We were pleasantly surprised. Had a lovely warm welcome from Paul, however, we did't see him for the remainder of the stay, no need all other staff we encountered were equally as pleasant. Breakfast was very good. Ordered the evening before after being left an order sheet. This wasn't done for our last morning so there was a slight wait not an issue as we wern't in a rush. The only problem we had was being woken up at 6am each morning with the person in the next room using the shower and departing early. The rooms use a macerator system and this is extremely noisy, so much so when we were woken with a start on the first morning my husband had to get up and dressed to find where this strange swooshing noise was coming from, this is when he heard the shower running next door. We would however stay again as the room was very comfortable and lovely and warm on a cold winters day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Galashiels, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The cloven is a nice place for a family meal or lunch! They where happy to make whatever we wanted, on the menu or not! We went for a family meal with my father and my mother in law with the kids. Everyone enjoyed the meal. We had 3 courses and some drinks wine etc and it was £130 all in not bad for the amount of food and drink we had! We where served my the manager we has fantastic, the waitress could do with a smile! We all have bad days though

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a lovly christmas day meal at the hotel food and service was as usual perfect really felt relaxed and enjoyed the day look forward to the next time. definatly one of the best places to eat in the area.

• Stayed December 2012
Scottish Borders
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

For the second year running I have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed a fabulous meal at the Clovenfords Hotel on Christmas Day. To be honest, I never have had a poor meal there, but inevitably there is always added pressure to maintain these standards on Christmas Day. The Clovenfords Hotel did not disappoint, the food was excellent and the service exemplary. There was no feeling of being rushed either, the only thing missing was the sight of snowflakes gently falling outside!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Ignore the bad review Paul and his staff couldn't be more help full, the food is excellent and the locals are welcoming, having worked in this area for over 10 years its very hard to find some where better to stay whilst on business. The rooms are nice and well furnished, free wifi and the best steak around, couple that with great beer what more could I need!

• Stayed December 2012
Galashiels, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went for a lunch in bar as dining room was booked waitress pleasant enough but only offered us the bar menu. Salad was awful some ham a bit of rocket two little tomatoes and a bit of cheese pannini was so hard nearly broke my teeth also brie was still not melted inside. Bar is drab and in need of a makeover also no heating on we were so cold just got bill paid and left as was too cold to eat a dessert. Toilets were slighlty warmer but Would not recommended and will not be back very dissapointing

Ann Galashiels

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
PDH2012, Owner at The Clovenfords Country Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make your comments.
I would like to take this opportunity to respond.
Firstly, you say you were ONLY offered our bar menu. We only have two menus available throughout the hotel. We have a lunch menu 12-2.30 and an evening menu 5-9pm. No doubt you visited us during our lunch time trade. So the menu offered to you was indeed the correct menu.
On your next point. regarding your lunch experience. It is rather disappointing to read your comment, however I find it rather hard to understand that if this were the case, then why did you not advise us at the time? I'm 100% sure any genuine customer complaint regarding there meal would have raised to the staff and dealt with correctly at the time rather than list a review on the internet. You say you nearly broke your teeth? Again if this were the case then I'm sure you would have complained at the time. Yet you didn't. Had this been myself I certainly would have refused to pay, yet you paid us in full? Strange.
You will see from our previous reviews that we take our business very seriously and pride ourselves in customer service and satisfaction. Your review is very much a minority, however I am more than happy to discuss your experience in person. Although I very much doubt you will get in touch with me and discuss on a personal face to face level.
As for being cold, we run a business in a very old building and with the recent extreme weather conditions it is not particularly easy to keep it as warm as we would like. Our central heating system is permanently on at this time of year. Also we have a roaring fireplace in the bar which is lit each day for the benefit of our customers and I'm sure had you mentioned that you were cold then you would have been offered to sit in our bar next to our coal fire. I would agree with you that the decor in the hotel in certain areas requires updating but as you will appreciate as a new owner in the first year we have to prioritise areas and in the current financial climate we don't have thousands of pounds to improve at this time. However we have updated some of our bedrooms and also our upper bar area so we are making plenty progress with lots still to happen.
You grammar and punctuation needs some work when writing a review which makes me suspect that it may not be very genuine, however I have taken your comments on board and have given them the attention they deserve.
I also find it strange that considering you have been a trip advisor member since February 2011 that you have only posted this one review? Surely you have eaten out or stayed in other establishments in the last two years? I look forward to discussing this with you in person. Hopefully you will not try and hide yourself behind a review posted on the net.
Kind regards
Paul
Clovenfords Hotel

Been to The Clovenfords Country Inn? Share your experiences!