“Great place for a business and a holiday stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Clovenfords Country Inn

You added The Clovenfords Country Inn to your Saves list
The Clovenfords Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Vine Street | Clovenfords, Galashiels TD1 3LU, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Galashiels
“Great place for a business and a holiday stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Ignore the bad review Paul and his staff couldn't be more help full, the food is excellent and the locals are welcoming, having worked in this area for over 10 years its very hard to find some where better to stay whilst on business. The rooms are nice and well furnished, free wifi and the best steak around, couple that with great beer what more could I need!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Galashiels, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went for a lunch in bar as dining room was booked waitress pleasant enough but only offered us the bar menu. Salad was awful some ham a bit of rocket two little tomatoes and a bit of cheese pannini was so hard nearly broke my teeth also brie was still not melted inside. Bar is drab and in need of a makeover also no heating on we were so cold just got bill paid and left as was too cold to eat a dessert. Toilets were slighlty warmer but Would not recommended and will not be back very dissapointing

Ann Galashiels

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
PDH2012, Owner at The Clovenfords Country Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make your comments.
I would like to take this opportunity to respond.
Firstly, you say you were ONLY offered our bar menu. We only have two menus available throughout the hotel. We have a lunch menu 12-2.30 and an evening menu 5-9pm. No doubt you visited us during our lunch time trade. So the menu offered to you was indeed the correct menu.
On your next point. regarding your lunch experience. It is rather disappointing to read your comment, however I find it rather hard to understand that if this were the case, then why did you not advise us at the time? I'm 100% sure any genuine customer complaint regarding there meal would have raised to the staff and dealt with correctly at the time rather than list a review on the internet. You say you nearly broke your teeth? Again if this were the case then I'm sure you would have complained at the time. Yet you didn't. Had this been myself I certainly would have refused to pay, yet you paid us in full? Strange.
You will see from our previous reviews that we take our business very seriously and pride ourselves in customer service and satisfaction. Your review is very much a minority, however I am more than happy to discuss your experience in person. Although I very much doubt you will get in touch with me and discuss on a personal face to face level.
As for being cold, we run a business in a very old building and with the recent extreme weather conditions it is not particularly easy to keep it as warm as we would like. Our central heating system is permanently on at this time of year. Also we have a roaring fireplace in the bar which is lit each day for the benefit of our customers and I'm sure had you mentioned that you were cold then you would have been offered to sit in our bar next to our coal fire. I would agree with you that the decor in the hotel in certain areas requires updating but as you will appreciate as a new owner in the first year we have to prioritise areas and in the current financial climate we don't have thousands of pounds to improve at this time. However we have updated some of our bedrooms and also our upper bar area so we are making plenty progress with lots still to happen.
You grammar and punctuation needs some work when writing a review which makes me suspect that it may not be very genuine, however I have taken your comments on board and have given them the attention they deserve.
I also find it strange that considering you have been a trip advisor member since February 2011 that you have only posted this one review? Surely you have eaten out or stayed in other establishments in the last two years? I look forward to discussing this with you in person. Hopefully you will not try and hide yourself behind a review posted on the net.
Kind regards
Paul
Clovenfords Hotel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

My Husband and I were married in Hotel 10/11/12 (1st wedding ceremony ever to take place in Hotel) ! From beginning to end the Staff and Managers (Paul and Gary) Not to mention Pauls Partner Kirsty care and attention to us and our guests were exceptional ! Everything from serving 50 guests a fantastic 3 course meal,100 guests in evening piping hot filled rolls to making my new Husband and I toast and tea at 1am in morning after our final guests had gone home ! (Their motto really should be 'Nothing is too much trouble'! As thats exactly how they made all of us feel ! We could not have asked for better food,accomodation,service and of course our truly superb freshly cooked breakfast morning after !! No amount of words can ever thank them enough for making our Special Day so memorable !!!! Don't just take ourselves and 100 guests word for it ! 100% recommendation Try it for yourselves !!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your review.
We were delighted to play a huge part in your big day.
Paul, Gary & staff @ Clovenfords Hotel.
Scottish Borders
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Went to the Sunday Carvery for lunch. Nice warm welcome and waiting staff reasonably attentive. They appeared to be on the young side and not highly experienced waiting staff, more casually employed. Carvery was about £9/head but my granddaughter who is under three yrs old was charged £5 which I thought was a bit steep considering how little a two year old would eat! Quality of food was acceptable if not exceptional. Could have been hotter and the coffees which we had with our meal was less than hot. We were invited to help ourselves to extra veg but no further extra meat was offered. Wouldn't hurry back based on our experience

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've not been for a few years now, but we went to the Clovenfords Hotel for a bite to eat this Sunday. We couldn't believe there was an all-you-can eat carvery for £8.95 so we filled our boots. The roasts were generous, not overcooked, and very tasty indeed. With a free drink included, we had a dessert each and it was still only £42 for two adults and two children.
Aside from good value, the staff were all very friendly too and we will most certainly visit again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Clovenfords
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We popped down to the Clovenfords Hotel for a meal last night, and to watch the Firework display that the hotel put on for the people of the village.
I can't speak highly enough of this place since the new owners took over.
Now I am pleased and proud again to call it my local.
The Monday steak night is FABULOUS, and great value for money. The three of us ate our fill for under 30 quid, and our plates were clean!
All of the staff are friendly, and can't do enough for you.
I think this might be a regular Monday night thing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here as I had a business meeting the next day very early in the morning.

The rooms are recently renovated comfortable and functional.

The welcome was warm, food good, breakfast very good.

The landlord is really trying hard and I would recommend this for an over night stay.

A tad pricey at £75 but competitive for the area

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Clovenfords Country Inn? Share your experiences!