“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 13 hotels in Oban
Erskine, Scotland
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked on price and based on other reviews, didn't expect much.
How some people like to moan just for the sake of it!
Phoned in advance and asked for a nice sea view room. checked in promptly by a very friendly girl at reception and advised where to park and had booking taken for dinner, then given keys. No hassle or problems at all. Room on the 5th floor which had recently been refurbished with a fantastic sea view. Tea, coffee biscuits, replaced each day, flat screen tv, hairdryer and complimentary toiletries in bathroom. Room clean, bright and big enough for two adults.
Restaurant staff clearly understaffed but worked hard to provide a speedy friendly service, especially Irene! Food the entire weekend was fantastic and yes there may be a limited menu but if you can't find something on it to eat, you're obviously too fussy!
We didn't drink in the hotel or sample the Saturday night entertainment so can't comment.
It is a very old Art Deco building and as such does need some renovation, but the room was clean, spacious and well equipped, the food was a very pleasant surprise and I can honestly say I've paid more money for less satisfaction. You'll never get 5 star luxury from a two star hotel but I'd definitely go back based on my most recent trip.

Room Tip: Ask when you book for a sea view room on the 5th floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments on trip advisor

It is very nice to read such positive comments and I will as always pass these to our team. I am glad you had such a enjoyable stay and enjoyed the food in our restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Regent in the not too distant future .

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I arrived and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who was happy for us to leave our bags as my husband and I had arrived early. I was in a room on the 2nd floor. Room was very dated and in need of modernisation but clean and comfortable enough for a night's stay. The room had no hair dryer and I had to wait for a bit after requesting one from reception. My husband eventually had to go down to reception where I think the enquiry had been forgotten about. I never had breakfast as I was getting the early ferry so can't comment on the food. For £38 per night the value was good but I would only stay here again if getting an early ferry in the future. I would recommend other hotels in Oban if people were staying longer. This hotel needs some modernising as it does appear to be run down which is a shame.

• Stayed February 2013
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments on trip advisor

I am glad you found your stay value for money and that you had a warm friendly welcome. We are in the process of decorating all guest bedrooms and have already completed rooms with new beds and furniture, which we will do with all the rooms as the year goes on.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay and a training day in the hotel. My advice? Walk along the front until you reach the Regent Hotel ... then walk past swifty and find somewhere else!

No food after 8pm as that's when the dining room closes. I asked for a sandwich and presume that it took a few minutes so that the person who served me could go round all the mousetraps in the building looking for cheese because that's exactly what it tasted like. The bread was stale and no amount of dressing it up with salad and crisps could change the taste.

Training facilities - dreadful. Go somewhere else. Tea and coffee were indistinguishable from each other, lunch was a horrible experience and many of the trainees went to local shops for takeaway.

The bedroom was fine, clean and I have no complaints but I don't think the Regent Hotel is quite geared up for the Global Conferencing Trade.

I may have been in worse hotels but I'm struggling to think of one.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for the review on the Regent hotel.
As a direct result of your review we have changed our procedures for any conference/meeting bookings and I would like to sincerely apologise for all the issues you had to deal with during your training day.
We do as you mentioned close our dining room at 8pm during the off peak season and we don’t offer food beyond this time , however on this occasion one of our team fulfilled your request over an hour after the advertised closing time . I can assure you that the bread was not stale, but is kept in the fridge when not in use after dinner service as the kitchen temperature is not suitable to store bread in. We do bring this out prior to food service times to ensure it does not have the temperature and consistency of inedible bread but on this occasion we had no time to do this as it was for immediate consumption.
I would like to sincerely apologise again for all these problems.
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have just returned from the Regent Hotel Oban we stayed there for the new year and had the best time ever the food was excellent, the room was warm and very clean, Tommy and his staff really looked after us and the entertainment was varied to suit all ages will be back next year if not before.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for great review on the Regent hotel.
We have replied exactly the same to the previous review as the reviews were so kind to the staff we asked for their direct input for these reviews .
Your kind words make all the teams extra effort so more worthwhile, we try to create a guest new year experience that we too would enjoy as a paying guest, and by the feedback we have received like yours it was a success.
We(the entire team ) enjoyed the new year break as much as our guests did and we thank you for making it a fun working environment and look forward to the same next year and hope to see you soon .
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just spent three nights to celebrate "Hogmanay", in the Regent Hotel, Oban. The food was fantastic with a great choice and so much of it. The entertainment was excellent all weekend and very varied. The staff could not have been more helpful and Tommy, Stuart and Irene went out their way to ensure that we were well looked after and thoroughly entertained. I was there with my sister and both found the Hotel spotless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for great review on the Regent hotel.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I rang up to check I could re-arrange the night of dinner in a 5pm deal before I booked and they sorted the same deal directly through them. Booking two weeks in advance however, I was unable to get a double room but we simply put the beds together. Sea view was great. The shower was VERY temperamental - couldn't get a happy medium so had to wash in lukewarm water to avoid being scalded. Beds were very comfy. Both dinner and breakfast were disappointing in terms of the quality of the food but to be expected for the price we got (£99 for 2 nights B&B and dinner one night).

I would recommend if you're looking for something cheap and aren't too fussy.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your review on the Regent hotel.
I’m sorry we could not allocate a double room however I was glad to read you enjoyed the view from the twin bedded room. I wish one of our team could have rectified the issues with your shower during your stay and for this I apologise.
The issues you encountered with both meals is not the standard that we aim for at the Regent and I hope some time in the future we can welcome you back to show our food in a far better light.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed in the Regent for 2 nights in late November. Room was warm, beds were comfy - I don't sleep well usually but I did there. Bath and shower, but bathroom very cold only towel rail for heat. Had sea view room and as it was the last night of the Winter Festival we were treated to a firework display as we ate dinner, a perfect view. The old single glazing was cold but the food and service were excellent. In the evening only the small bar was open and the service was warm and friendly, some seating is very comfortable. Reception staff were helpful. 2 things would have made me give this 2 star hotel 5 trip advisor stars - Free parking vouchers for the street near the hotel and a warm bathroom.

Room Tip: get a sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review on trip advisor.
It is always great to hear that our guests had a good nights sleep and enjoyed the hotels breakfast and dinner .I’m also glad you enjoyed the views and the fireworks .
I will as always pass on your kind comments regarding our team’s friendliness and excellent service. On our last enquiry regarding parking vouchers we were informed that this option is not currently available.
Regent Hotel management and on behalf of all the staff at the Regent Hotel Oban

Been to Regent Hotel? Share your experiences!