“A Trip back in time..” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 98 Oban B&B and Inns
Banbury, United Kingdom
“A Trip back in time..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I first visited Oban, when i was in the RAF Regiment, on my way to Benbecula some 32 years ago. I am now at the age that i want to revisit places i have been to in my life, but not in a long time.. I chose the Lancaster Hotel for the price and the excellent views.
The hotel was good for me. But it is not suitable for disabled people or elderly people. I am over 50 and i managed the stairs, but they are steep.
The bar was excellent and the food was excellent. My room had a small window that i could view the bay/loch with. It openened fully so plenty of fresh air.. My room was in need of a spruce up, otherwise i got what i paid for and no complaints. Would i use the hotel again? YES...

Room Tip: My single room was excellent
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

kl hotel, on par with shearings, good staff .rooms old but clean, not for those expectiung 5* acc for 2* prices, swimming pool ect a good bonus, great value considering general prices in oban, breakfasts again on par with shearings,

Room Tip: try and get one with a sea view.watcing the ships sail in and out is a bonus,gret vievs generally
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Poolewe, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Lovely staff but awful accommodation. The room looked like a bad 1970s b&b and I suspect that the bed was that old too. Carpet in the toilet which smelled disgusting, velvet curtains thick with dust and a bedspread which Iooked and smelled unclean.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

We have never consider ourselves fussy guests but Room 27 took first prize for sheer tat! - tucked at the back of building with high level windows providing a view over the rear flat roof. The shower facility comprised a rubber hosing attachment to the taps. The TV was incorrectly tuned in terms of contrast etc and we suspect it was on the way out...not long after us. The hotel is desperately in need of modernisation. However, our stay was also memorable for the terrific breakfast enjoyed in the dining room over looking the loch - something not available at hotels in the town centre.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Augustus, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

We are a couple who love to stay in Oban at least twice a year. First time we've used this hotel and wont be returning. Stayed in room 22, very dated, marks on carpet, chunks missing from furniture, shower too short, we had to bend down to get under it (we did have a good laugh about it though! ). The entrance to the spa was very shabby and smelly. The one good thing I can say is that the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Such a shame as the hotel is situated with beautiful views.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

After seeing the rooms we considered trying for a refund and moving on but Oban is a nice town, lovely harbour and walking. This is a hotel begging for an update. My room had an old cracked sink right beside the bed, I could barely see out of the window and the burgundy curtains were grey with dust. The metal shower stall had mould along the seams, carpet was icky and while the bedspread was either really old or just dirty I think the sheets were clean, I slept in my clothes, just in case.
Friends next door had an old cast iron tub with a rubber "shower hose" and no shower curtain.
On the plus side breakfast was good and the view from the dining room is lovely. The young man who served us was delightful, unfortunately as we were leaving we saw an unpleasant female staff pocket his tip.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Bedford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2014 via mobile

Lovely friendly staff but that is it. This hotel has not been updated since the 70's thankfully we only stayed one night so we found it funny. Our room was at the back of the hotel with a an awful view dirty curtains uncomfortable bed weird electrical gadgets bolted to the wall. I couldn't use the shower it looked like a hose pipe . It wasn't cheap at. 74 pounds I expected more my advice go elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2014

Been to Lancaster? Share your experiences!