“Excellent customer service!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Mold, North Wales
“Excellent customer service!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Not so much a hotel review, however a chance to put something up about excellent customer service.

Having had a pretty torrid time at another hotel, we popped into The Caledonian to see about rooms. Unfortunately, they don't take AMEX which stopped us booking, however the receptionist was simply excellent.

Listened to what we needed, then phoned across to another hotel across the bay to see if they had rooms and took AMEX.

This is just what we needed - a friendly face, willing to help even though we wouldn't be staying. Thanks go to the reecptionist. You definitely made our Oban trip more memorable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Stewart W, General Manager at The Oban Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Oban Caledonian Hotel. We very much appreciate your comments . I am delighted that we were able to help you find alernative accommodation . Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Oban Caledonian Hotel.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Had a 2 night stay in this hotel which is in a fab location in Oban right next to ferry terminal railway station etc. upgraded to a seaview room by lovely gentleman receptionist because we waited all of 2 minutes which was really nice of him. Room was lovely and warm on entering, sash windows had double glazing added. Breakfast was lovely scrambled egg was freshly made to order. Service from all staff was good. Great value for money.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you your feedback which is very uplifting and delightful to read your comments regarding your stay with us, and is so pleased that you find your stay with us so enjoyable. It is extremely encouraging for all the staff here at the Oban Caledonian Hotel to receive such positive feedback, particularly in light of the sometimes negative reviews which appear from time to time on various website, which can be extremely disheartening.

Stewart Walker General Manager
Falkirk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed for two nights short break. Short distance from rail station. No wait to book in. Given sea front room ( brilliant view ) with secondary glazing, no noise disturbance whatsoever even including a Friday night! Room spotlessly clean, loads of hot water, tv reception a bit variable with the weather but didnt go to Oban to watch telly! Had two brilliant nights sleep. Breakfast was good, staff all were very helpful, attentive and friendly. Yes the hotel is showing some signs of wear , like us all, but she is stil a grand old lady and I will certainly return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and that the “team” looked after you well. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Oban

Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed here as part of a business trip to the West coast - Oban is beautiful - well, its situation is - the town is a little run down in places (people are nice though...). I was booked into this by my work. Looks impressive from the outside - grand victorian facade, but sadly, like many of these places, it has seen better times. Communal areas were ok, but my room needed upgrading (a lot of noise intrusion from the road outside, old furnishings) - I should say rooms, as I had to move rooms in the middle of the night due to the smoke alarm low battery warning sounding in the room next door - I tried calling the night porter at midnight - eventually got him at 2am - he investigated, and told me that I would need to sleep in another bedroom, ad the alarm was in an occupied room - obviously a heavy sleeper! The bed in the new room was well past its best, offering little in the way of support or comfort, and I got up the next day less than well rested. Breakfast was ok - full Scottish - but it was only ok. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the young girl on the desk in the evening/morning, but I wouldn't choose to stay there were I paying for it.

Room Tip: I got a room on a higher floor, but facing the road in the town. Still very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments on trip advisor it was pleasing to here you enjoyed your weekend with us at the Caledonian Hotel.

I will certainly pass on your great comments to my team staff who will be pleased to hear these, I was extremely sorry to read that there were points during your visit, which had caused you concern, particularly with reference noise from the street. As I am sure you will appreciate, Oban is a busy little town, particularly all year round, and our situation as a centrally located hotel can have both positive and negative aspects with noise from the streets late at night.

Once again thank you for the time and trouble you have taken in writing your review on Trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as those you have made that we are able to continually improve our standards of guest care and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

First time staying in the hotel. Room was old and tired. Tv didn't work. No hot water in the room. At £65 a night that is the basics without going into the fact that the room could do with an overhall. Dinner was edible but after waiting over 5 minutes I had to go find a member of staff to take my order.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Stewart W, General Manager at The Oban Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Please accept my apologies with regards to the issues you experienced, this is certainly not my normal standard at the hotel & every effort will be made to ensure this is not repeated. I am sorry that you had to endure a substandard bed during you stay, as we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I can now assure you that the experiences that you received within the hotel, and highlighted for our attention are already being addressed

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write your recent review on Trip Advisor, regarding your recent stay

edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I really don't know what all these people are complaining about as we just got back last night from a 2 night stay at this hotel and had a lovely time. Our daughter booked it for us for our anniversary and asked for a nice room and we certainly did -room 224 - overlooking the bay from every window. Yes it is a bit old and tired but spotlessly clean and lovely and warm. Breakfast was lovely - fresh and hot, yes we did have to queue for a few minutes for a table as they were very busy but chill out, you're on holiday - whats the rush. We also only had a few channels on the tv but so what - if you want to watch the telly stay at home or get a life. We had a ball.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view - we did and they were happy to oblige
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your feedback that you have placed on Trip Advisor, your comments are very much appreciated by my team and I at the Oban Caledonian Hotel, were delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kindest Regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

What can I say. The wifi works. Room was warm.
Well that was about it. Badly needs huge investment.
Very tired, bed uncomfortable. TV doesn't work despite the excuse. Break fast basic fare. Even the front door is broken.
Won't be back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I was extremely sorry to read that there were points during your visit, which had caused you concern, I have now investigated the points you have raised with the heads of departments and I can now assure you that the problems you experienced within the hotel, and highlighted for our attention are already being addressed.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Stewart Walker

Been to The Oban Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!