“needs some tlc” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 13 hotels in Oban
Inverness, United Kingdom
“needs some tlc”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before on business and have to say each time I have been there is gets more tired.............. my room was not the cleanest with dust and litter behind the chair, the bathroom was also had really dusty skirting boards. I have suffered with the noise in the past but this time there were no problems, even with the 80 mile an hour winds! The TV dated back to the last century and the noise on the channels stopped me from watching it.
I have to say that although the reception staff were nice (even though they had to be reminded twice that the room was paid for already) the waiting staff in the dining room could do with being a wee bit more cheerful and need a brushing up of their customer service skills. Our table was not fully set and I had to 'pinch' from other tables at least three times. The breakfast was poor with the eggs tasting of vinegar and the fruit out of a tin.............. not good and as stated it could do with some tlc

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Argyll123, General Manager at The Oban Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review on Trip Advisor.
I was concerned and disappointed to read your comments regarding customer servive in the hotel, as they did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I can now assure you that the experiences that you received within the hotel, and highlighted for our attention are already being addressed. Thank you again for contributing, your response is very valuable to us.

643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here on Saturday to Sunday on a voucher deal, couldn't fault anything, lift wasn't working but at reception they did check that 3rd floor was o.k. with us at check in. The room was large, sea view, very clean, nice big bathroom even a heated towel rail. Dinner was from a special menu which a few things had supplements on but there was plenty to choose from and supplements were only a couple of pound anyway, The meal was lovely and great service, breakfast was really nice, plenty of choice of cereals and then a cooked breakfast which is served to you at the table, not buffet style. Very central, Oban is a good place to have a short break there were plenty of pubs and nice restuarants to choose from. The only downside was the weather. Would go bavk again when the sun is shining as it is a lovely place. Great value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed the spacious rooms and fantastic view over Oban harbour, and thank you for your positive comments about that we food serve in the restaurant. I have now passed on your positive and kind words to all the team at the hotel; we look forward to welcoming you back to the Oban Caledonian Hotel in the near future.
Lanark, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Linen clean - very handy for train and ferry. Day/evening reception staff friendly. However- if you want to sleep forget it - this has to be the noisiest hotel I have ever ever stayed in. Traffic noise , shouting, screaming and singing from the surrounding streets will keep you awake well into the earlier hours of the morning. Strange humming noise in bedroom but this stopped at about 11 pm. I booked an early breakfast at 5:00 as I had an early get away. This breakfast was advertised as 'continental' well it was the poorest offering I have ever seen. The morning receptionist pointed me in the direction of the breakfast room - once in there a self serve table was laid out with cereal, fruit juices, 'seen better days' tinned fruit, two slices of ham that was going dry and some individual cheeses wrapped in plastic. No tea, no coffee, no bread, no rolls etc. I returned to reception to enquire where I might find the tea and bread rolls - I was then asked to wait a minute so I returned to the breakfast room. Minutes later the receptionist returned with a small pot of tea and four slices of white bread - the kind you would happily describe as budget supermarket bread. This experience finally made me decide not to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Even if you had a room with sound proofing beware of the lack of care and service
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Oban Caledonian Hotel. I have investigated the points you have raised with the relevant Department Heads and can now assure you that the problems you experienced within the hotel, and highlighted for our attention are already being addressed, through closer monitoring and more stringent procedures. I hope we can welcome you to the hotel again
Brampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel has seen better days - probably 120 years ago or maybe 50 years ago. From the deleted 4 star rating (now 3) sign at the hotel entrance to the tiny lift that rarely worked to the push of a button on the ground floor - a visit from the Hotel Inspector should be sought immediately. The Staff were very helpful; the service good and Room Service - acceptable. The 'electrics' seemed a bit antiquated - a blowing bulb blew the light fuse for the suite! Problem rectified by highly rated Receptionist! Thank you.
The room was really quite down at heel - floor sloping so foot of bed was higher than bed head - detached Roman Blind - and patched coving where probable water ingress had occured. Carpeting throughout badly worn. Enough said.

Room Tip: Corner suite floor 2 - view of harbour and high street,
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review . We very much appreciate our guest comments and learn from the experiences that they write. I am delighted that our staff were able to assit you during your stay. Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Caledonian Hotel.
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

just had a one night b&b sat night break, overall very nice, a beautiful old building, so thereby lies a lot of its critisism from other people,it will never be a chic new hotel. we found it clean, mostly updated, (tv very poor), good bathroom, very helpful staff, lovely and warm, and if you get a sea view, well, its fantastic.
breakfast was good, nicely cooked and speedily served, will try a dinner next time

Room Tip: wake up to a sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Argyll123, General Manager at The Oban Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so very much for your feedback that you have placed on Trip Advisor, your comments are very much appreciated by my team and I.We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kindest Regards Stewart Walker General Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Let me start by saying that there is a reason this hotel is ranked number eleven out of thirteen hotels in Oban. In fact, I'm surprised it doesn't rank even lower.

We stayed there late in December for one night just before Christmas, when Oban is notoriously quiet. We did sway between here and The Ranald, a newly opened hotel which gets glowing reviews, but because of location and familiarity with the Caledonian we decided just to stay with them. We definitely won't be making that same mistake again!

Check in was okay and the girl on reception was pleasent. We carried our own baggage up to our room, which was small and run down. I've stayed at the Caledonian a few times at this time of year and it always surprises me that they elect to put guests in such poor rooms when the hotel itself is virtually empty. The bed was hard, the decor old and fading, and the bathroom contained a half bath, and a sink unit sitting at such an angle that most things that were placed on it would slide on to the tile floor. But we'd paid a very cheap rate and we were only there for one evening so we didn't complain.

That night we went out for dinner and on returning to the hotel retired to the bar to have some drinks. The first thing we noticed was the couple next to us getting served spirit and mixer in wine glasses. Not a good sign. We proceeded to ask the barman if he had any prosecco, to which he shrugged, gave us the wine list, and then went to have a hunt in the fridges. Unfortunately the only bottle he was able to return with matched neither of those on the list, and wasn't what we were after anyway. Fair play to the guy, he clearly had no interest in working on a bar and when we asked if we could bring in a bottle of champagne from the car instead and pay corkage he said that was fine and made up a wee ice bucket for us.

Having witnessed all this the other couple came over to join us at the table, commenting on the utter lack of training being given to the staff. They were also staying in the hotel that night, but when their room (something similar to ours) had been presented to them they had complained and been upgraded to one with a four poster bed. They urged us to do the same, but by this time it was around 10pm and we just didn't think it was worth the hassle. The bar closed at eleven, with no option of nightcaps to take to our rooms, which was disappointing.

When we checked in we were told check out was at 11am. We had a boat to catch at 12 so this worked out pretty well, or so we thought. However, we were abruptly awoken just after nine when somebody JUST WALKED IN TO OUR ROOM. I have no idea who it was (it was dark and we were still in bed sleeping), but I presume it was the cleaner?!! Who ever it was we were very, very unimpressed. As we were only staying one night it would take minimal effort for a cleaner to find out if we had checked out and the room was ready to be cleaned. This rush to get rid of guests continued with her again continuing to call at the room when we were trying to get ready, and finally when I left the room at 10:58 I heard to phone ringing from inside as soon as I locked the door. I presume reception telling us to check out? I really was appalled by the behaviour. Check out was 11am, but from just after nine we were made to feel that we had outstayed our welcome and felt hassled in to leaving. When I walked down the stairs to reception, a big foyer with two receptionists, neither one of them smiled or said good morning, instead staring at my blankly while I tried to return the key. I told them how unhappy we were about somebody coming in to our room during the morning and instead of being full of apologies as I would have expected, they just shrugged. We really found the behaviour of the staff appalling and they clearly haven't had any training in their jobs, which lets down the whole hotel. We won't be back after this stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review, Please accept my apologies with regards to the issues you experienced, I will certainly pass on your comments on to the team, I thank you for the time and trouble you have taken in writing your review on Trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as those you have made that we are able to continually improve our standards of guest care.
Kind Regards
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

stayed for one night on a dbb package from easybreaks ,on arival there was a problem with my booking but this was a fault by easybreaks and reception sorted it all out for us with no fuss at all .our room was on third floor and had stunning seaviews ,room was very nice ,warm and clean the bed was very comfy though pillows a little soft for me,
dinner was very nice with a good choice ,staff were all very friendly and helpfull in particular the gentleman at reception who helped with the booking mix up and advised on parking
breakfast was excellent good choice and well cooked again service here could not be faulted
the value for money at this hotel was excellent
there was areas of hotel that could do with some attention but that is to be expected in old building
one problem about trip advisor is people read about faults then go looking for them
so for me this hotel is very good and offers great value for money

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your feedback, your comments have been very much appreciated by my team and I at the Oban Caledonian Hotel and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kindest Regards Stewart Walker General Manager

Been to The Oban Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!