“Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 98 Oban B&B and Inns
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Booked a family room for one night, the cost was £110 room only. On arrival we were met at the front gate with a hideous effigy that scared our 2 boys to death, followed by a foreign young man with limited English who stated that the owner was out but he could show us the room.
For the first time since I was 7 years old, i stayed in a room without ensuite facilities! We had to venture across the landing to use the toilet, shower and bath!
The room smelt musty and the bedding was dated to say the least. The family room consisted of a double and single bed and what can only be described as a hard low shelf, this was the 2nd single bed!
The TV was so big and so old our son, who is 6 asked what it was!
The following morning, we had to pay extra for breakfast, £8 per person and no discount for the children, one of whom is 2 years old. I have never seen so many tables squashed into a small terraced front room in my life. You could not comfortably move past another table without the occupant having to move in. The cereal table was next to ours so we felt like the whole room was surrounding us at times. People were also arriving from other guest houses and having to wait for a table to come available. Service was via foreign young men again who certainly had not had a wash within the last 2 days and when asked for anything were not very helpful at all. They seemed very purturbed when asked to fill the small jug of milk up, which was expected to be shared between all the tables for cereal, coffee and tea and children's milk!!
We requested 3 cooked breakfasts and 1 continental. I have never seen a breakfast like it in my life! Very little of it and what was on the plate was vile! The continental breakfast arrived 10mins later and consisted of 1 small croissant on a saucer!
Not once did we see anyone who could be described as an 'Owner'.
If we had looked at this website before booking this we would have known better. It was bank holiday weekend in August 2011 and wanted to extend our holiday for 1 more day following a wonderful stay in a cottage where we fell in love with Oban and just didnt want to leave.
But after our stay here, we should have set off home immediately, it would have been more pleasant to stay in our car for the night!!

Room Tip: Just Dont!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We had hoped to stay overnight Saturday on Mull but with a family of four, getting a room there takes a lot more notice than we had. We then opted for a night in Oban instead. We are glad we did, as the town is a gem! It took some searching but we found this B&B had a family room available. The room was spacious, had a sink (with soap and linens) and a kettle. The shared bathroom was just across the hall and I never had to wait to use it. We paid the same for this room than we did for the Marriott in London, interesting enough, but the small town location dictates price, i guess, and we knew that going in. (132 GBP including breakfast) The room was booked through the "Visit Scotland" website and we had no issues checking in. The guest house website gave us a good hint to go next door to their other property to check in. One tip I would give, if you book through the visit Scotland website, is to know that the civic address they list there says "6 Victoria Place" but the cabby said that was not right. He knew the street we needed and was not sure where the other address came from, but it is a small town and cabbies know the place!

The breakfast room was pretty and available when we had scheduled it. The poor single staffer was a little busy but we weren't in any rush. We enjoyed strolling around Oban and the location of St Anne's made that easy to do.

Note that they do not allow any take away foods in the room, so make sure you eat out.

Room Tip: Some rooms have their own bath I think, check for that.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ambleside, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Booked on line 79 pounds, this did not include breakfast,which was an extra 9 pounds per person. The room was shabby, with a wall light hanging off the wall, and a hole in the wall. The adjacent bathroom was ok, no soap or shampoo supplied. In retrospect I should have looked at the room and declined to stay although they did have my credit card details. We had a great meal in a seafood restaurant, and beat a hasty retreat in the morning. Leave this " guest house " well alone

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

In many years of travelling, this was our worst B&B experience. There were a series of issues: the TV could not be got to show even one station (even our highly technical son gave up on it); the shower blew a fuse (both in our room and in our son's) mid-way through a shower, leaving only the sink in the bedroom for getting rid of soap (and the owner didn't seem to be on-site); the "free wi-fi" was there and it was free, but it came and went with such frequency as to be useless; breakfast was good, but served late and had to be rushed in order to catch a ferry; and to top it off the fire alarm went off during breakfast (possibly due to burnt toast). To say that we don't recommend this place is an understatement.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

The conversation went as follows:
Owner: hello?
Me: hi is that St Anne’s guest house?
Owner: yeah
Me: Can I speak to the owner please?
Owner: yeah speaking
Me: can I book a double room on Sat 23rd April with my 2 dogs?
Owner: we don’t take dogs
Me: oh- it says so on the website
Owner: yeah that’s for Aberour, not us
Me: ah right I’ll ring Visit Scotland then to tell them it’s misleading
Owner: we do actually take dogs if you ask
Me: ‘....please can I bring my 2 dogs?
Owner: ‘...yes’.

After making the booking I checked the reviews here. About 2 weeks later I rang to cancel only to find they didn't have my booking anyway. I am so relieved I booked elsewhere.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

My girlfriend got me a wee weekend away in Oban for my birthday, something I was very happy about as unbeknown to her I have family in the town. Therefore i was telling her about how nice it was and how friendly the people are. Therefore, I was absolutely shocked and embarrassed by the behaviour of the owner. It was really disgraceful.

When my girlfriend she was asked to specify what time we would be arriving, which she did so it was very dissapointing to arrive at the guest house in freezing february to find noone in sight and only a note with a phone number on it which nobody answered when we tried multiple times. We must've been at the door for about halfanhour trying to get in but to no avail. Confused by the message on the st annes guesthouse to go to arbour guesthouse there but nobody there either. It is not made clear by the website that the two are owned by same people. We then thought we might as well go for drink at a pub for an hour and try again later. It was annoying to have to carry all our luggage at this point. I realise that check in times and whatnot can go awry especially if things are booked third party but the whole set up was very poor. However, this is not the main problem with the hotel. I was still fairly happy at this point. We are not complainers, by an stretch.

What happened next was utterly contemptable from a supposed landlady. We eventually after knocking on the door saw movement from the inside and an elderly lady came out and let us in without a word of welcome. We told her we had a room reserved and she didn't even say a word. She then just walked straight out of the room!! leaving us completely bewildered, coming back a couple of minutes later and demanded our details. The whole experience was just disgraceful and not a usual oban welcome. At this point we discovered that the prices were more expensive than when we booked. I was incredulous at this point but kept this under control because we didnt want to risk not getting a roof over our heads. we were then offered the closest room to where the lady was standing which was a tiny wee room with no on suite, after we seemed a bit unsure the landlady reluctantly offered us a bigger room with on suite facilitites. Could she just not be bothered going upstairs to the bigger room??? haha

The room itself was quitte clean and comfortable.

The next day we didn't want to carry our luggage around all day but the landlady had made us feel so unwelcome we didn't feel like we could ask her if it was possible to leave it there.

She then had the audacity to say as we left "I HOPE YOU HAD A NICE STAY AND PLEASE COME BACK" WAS SHE JOKING???????????????????????

AFTER SPEAKING WITH MY AUNTY FROM THE AREA APPARANTLY SHE IS WELL KNOWN AS BEING VERY UNWELCOMING. AND AS I KNOW FROM YOUR RESPONSES THAT THE OWNER LOOKS AT THESE REVIEWS, PLEASE GET HER TO CHANGE HER ATTITUDE. IT IS A DISGRACE AND DOES NOTHING FOR SCOTLAND'S IMAGE OF GOOD HIGHLAND HOSPITALITY.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I can see that St Anne's has had some negative reviews but we had no problems at all - the rooms were clean and comfortable and better than you would expect for the price.

As we were travelling up from England we were arriving very late (nearly midnight) - we mentioned this in advance and it was no problem for the landlady who was friendly and welcoming when we turned up. We even got free drinks vouchers for the pub next door.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to St. Anne's Guest House? Share your experiences!