“an unexpected stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inveraray
The George Hotel
Main Street East, Inveraray PA32 8TT, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Inveraray
“an unexpected stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had already had a short stay further north near Oban and were on our road back home when we reached Inveraray. We discovered that the 'Rest and be-thankful' road was closed due to an overturned lorry and all the shops were closed in the town as there was no electricity! This was the weekend when there was a really bad storm with high winds. The traffic warden advised us that the George Hotel was open as they had their own generator. We headed there and we decided that we had better book in for the night in case we could not travel home. Fortunately, we got the last room due to a cancellation. We enjoyed the food and the company of other travellers and we had no complaints at all. Ok - it is an older place and the windows are not double -glazed etc but it only adds to the charm. It was an unexpected stay and we enjoyed it. ( The road was opened the next day and even though we had to drive through the snow, we arrived home safely.)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stopped for dinner to break up a three hour drive from Machrihanish to Glasgow. The decor was cosy and traditional and we liked the multicolored fairy lights that were hung from the roof- could have seemed tacky but was quite quaint. We were surprised how busy it was for a Sunday night, however it was our first ever visit so clearly we were unsure of what to expect. Service was friendly and efficient and we were given a good chance to peruse the entire menu at our own pace. My partner opted for the smoked hake with creamy mash, Mornay sauce and broccoli. He said it was well seasoned, however the fish was a little on the small side and I thought the mash had the look of school dinner slop but who am I to judge!Being a non meat eater I was impressed by the two options of main course, either a goats cheese salad or stuffed butternut squash with a tomato and sage sauce. I opted for the latter. I was served a huge under baked half of squash served with an overdone heap of 'stuff' crammed in the hollow. The cheese was crispy and burnt and I counted just one piece of slimy red pepper mixed in with white lumps which I guess were potato(spice absent). Clearly I was very disappointed indeed and I wish I had chosen the other vegetarian option. I would recommend this place to meat eaters as a chap at the table next to us raved about his fillet of steak, commenting it was the best he had ever had.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Balloch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Booked this hotel for one night for me and my partner to have a night away. My partner was serving with HM Forces and was due back from tour so I booked this hotel due to having a Jacuzzi in the room ect. I rang up and made the booking then paid the deposit. This was around 2 weeks prior to my arrival. 5 days prior to my arrival I received a phone call from the manager informing me that that had double booked my room, apparently this was because someone was on the telephone the same time as me booking a room. He told me that they would put us up in another hotel close by, and would provide us with a free meal and a bottle of wine of our choice. I asked to look at the other hotel first and he gave me the website. Upon looking at the other hotel it was sub-standard and frankly nowhere near like the George Hotel. I rang back and declined the offer as the main reason was for the Jacuzzi in the room. The Manager offered me no other compensation or a discount for a future stay. I had my £50.00 refunded and with 5 days left to go, I had to find another hotel and pay above the normal rate. I wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel manager and sent it Registered Mail and I am still waiting for a reply. This happened in the summer of 2013, but thought I would wait and see if I got a reply from my letter (even though they must reply by law) before I came online and gave them a bad rating.

I am a manager within the hospitality industry (Hotel Chain) and this was terrible service! No Customer Care skills at all! I just felt like they did not care. To anyone wishing to stay in this hotel I advise you don’t! It may seem ok but wait and see what happens when something goes wrong! I wonder if they will reply to this post now that it has been published online.

Room Tip: Buy a tent ! much more reliable !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Ahh, The George, my wife and I have stayed here on numerous occasions (think it was 8 on last count) bar a bad experience we had in one of the rooms in the First House, it has always ticked all the boxes. We love Inveraray an hour & a bit from Glasgow, best Whisky Shop in the country, nice walks, beautiful castles, and great hotel with a fantastic pub. We took advantage of the Sunday Snug Deal (check website) stayed in Room 5 huge King size bed, fantastic double jacuzzi, walk in shower, had a fire ready to be lit. Despite being End December we felt the room was too warm without a roaring fire, so left it be.

Food, the menu could do with updating, the food is good but it just needs a change, we had crab & scallops to start, scallops good crab not so, mains Beef Collops & Salmon both very good. Definitely room for improvement on the food. Excellent Wine List & Selection of Malts, had a great bottle of Carmanere.

Look forward to returning for our 9th visit

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed at The George in October on a Sunday Snug deal. The room was snug, whilst the weather outside was wet and cold. The whirlpool bath a treat. Dinner was good value and tasty, breakfast was excellent especially the haddock.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had passed through inverary many times in my life and have nebver stopped off at the george. after seeing the "sunday snug" deal ( £25 of food vouchers each and a bottle of champagne!) me and my husband stopped off for the last day of our honeymoon. It was lovely! I wasnt too keen on the food as it was too "fancy"" for me but my husband loved it. Lovely Jacuzzi in room , very relaxing atmosphere and just over all a lovely place! check it out if you are in inverary even for a drink

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Just back from another wonderful night at the George. Stayed in room 35 in the first house. We usually stay in the George was not sure if would like as much but have to say it did no disappoint. The new tub in bathroom is amazing and the fire just makes the whole experience relaxing and very romantic. We booked the Sunday snug. Excellent value food amazing. A big thanks to all the staff once again. Will be back soon

• Stayed December 2013

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!