“Great location, disappointing hotel” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shore Street, Inveraray PA32 8XT, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inveraray
GreenLeadersGold level
Scotland
“Great location, disappointing hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

The location of this hotel is great with fantastic views over Loch Fyne and easy access to the countryside. The decor in the hotel is very nice but beauty has to be more than skin deep! The bed was dreadful and creaked and groaned and should really have been replaced. The bathroom needed a good scrub, preferrably with bleach, to get rid of the pink and black mould. The food was mediocre and I wouldn't recommend that you eat there but if you do I'd stick to the meat and two veg option - I ordered risotto and had to send it back as it was so overcooked it was just a glob in the plate. Breakfast should have been easy and day one was fine. Day two the dining room was in chaos with uncleared tables and having been asked to wait so that a table could be cleared, which took about 25 minutes, breakfast was eventually served but some of it was uncooked.... . Needless to say a deduction from the bill was requested and given. If we'd not been leaving that day we'd have left anyway and we won't be back to this hotel. However we will be back to the area as it was just breathtaking and have found some very nice bed and breakfast accpmmodation to stay in next time!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-LochFyneHotel, General Manager at Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2009
Thank you for your review, please be assured that I do take customer comments very seriously, we clearely got things wrong during your stay & I would like to apologise. I would like to assure you that the points raised will be addressed along with relevant training needs. I am pleased that you did bring the issues to our attention at the time. Allowing us to rectify our mistakes. Thank you again for your comments.
Marc Gardner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Our room overlooked the flat roof (covered in cigarette butts) and then Loch Fyne. Small room, dingy furniture with stained carpet. The bed was unbelievably uncomfortable. The bathroom sink didn't drain away, the toilet didn't flush. We called the front desk who seemed rather bewildered that someone should complain and said half heartedly that she would try and send someone up. Someone did come up and fix the toilet while we were out for dinner, fortunately not at the hotel. The next morning we discovered the shower was a mere trickle (brrr). What can one expect from 100 year old plumbing, but it's time it got a serious upgrade! No apologies or offer of compensation. The price charged for the rooms is absolutely outrageous for what one gets.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I have taken your comments on board and any maintenance issues have now been addressed, I would like to apologise as these issues should have been picked up by us before your arrival, I would like to assure you that not all of our bedrooms are the same size and that we do have some amazing rooms, I do hope that you will visit us again and allow me the opportunity to reinstall your confidence in our hotel.
scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Hotel itself is lovely, all rooms well decorated and clean.The hotel has a large and very attractive dinning room which is a good as its the only attractive thing you will see here. We stayed for 2 nights on dbb board.On the first night when the dinner menu arrived I thought someone was having a laugh 3 chooses for each course Fish in a mustard sauce, Gammon in a redcurrant jue, and Cous cous salad I chose the fish this was like a piece of rubber I could have soled my shoe with and I am yet to find a word to describe the sauce,when i sent it back I was given the gammon which looked like some one had taken a large chunk of fat and added some poor quality meat to it.You could see the other dinners leaving most of their dinner instead of sending it back. The cooked breakfast was dried up and the choose of cereal very poor and one flora portion each on a side plate to cover your toast.Dinner number 2 ,this I had no expectations about and boy was I right, chicken was again like rubber served with what was supposed to be a fondant potato sitting in the middle of the plate with a few under cooked runnerbeans rapped in the bacon left from breakfast and mouldy cauliflower to keep it company. We went there hopping for some lovely seafood as advertised how very dissapointing.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, and for your positive comments about the bedrooms being well decorated & clean. I am however extreamely dissapointed to read about the issues you have raised about the food, Since your visit we have had a change in personell in the kitchen & these issues will not be repeated. These issues have been addressed with the Head Chef who also is bitterly dissapointed. I do hope that you will visit us again and give me the chance to rectify our mistakes.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

We booked this hotel after staying in another Crerar hotel last year (Mull). We stayed for 3 nights DBB.

We were expecting a similar level of service and comfort but were very disappointed. We were given a room in the old wing of the hotel. This wing is bdly in need of upgrading. The decor was very dated and the carpets were loose. Our bed was not only small for a double bed but the matress was needing replaced. Every time we moved the springs sounded as if they were going to break.
The room was at least clean and the house keeping staff were friendly.

As for the service in the restaurant it was terrible. There was place settings missing (i.e. no cups on a table or cutlery missing). The staff seemed very disinterested in their job (this may have been due to the fact that it was the same staff at every sitting we were at over our 3 day stay) and the restaurant manager seemed to have no idea abouting running a restaurant.
The quality of the food on offer from the set menu was poor. Rock hard roast potato's and raw brocolli.
We were so fed up by the food on offer that we ate in the George Hotel on the Sunday night (this was easily the best food we had over our weekend).

As stated in the title this was a very disappointing stay and would have to say that if anyone is thinking about a trip to Inverarary then book into the George Hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review, I have taken your comments on board & the offending beds have now been replaced. Thank you also for your pasitive comments about the cleanliness of the room.
With regards to your experience in the restaurant, please accept my apologies, I have now employed a dedicated restaurant manager who prime focus is customer satisfaction. Also with some new additions to the kitchen team, the issues you experienced should not be repeated. I would appreciate the opportunity to rectify our mistakes.

Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

This wasour 4th stay in a Crerar hotel, the 1st at Loch Fyne. I guess its asking too much in a hotel of this standard to find that they deal well with the smaller things that irritate.
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect a room to be sterile upon arrival. in fact the bed was clean, comfortable. The general cleanliness in the room was OK. It's things like a layer of dust on the lid of the bin in the loo; the hole in the ceiling where a new extractor fan had been installed and sticky arms on the chairs in the restaurant that just irritate me. It's probably my age! The staff throughout the hotel were friendly polite and helpful. There was a small queue to get a table for breakfast at peak times (9.30 on a sat and sun!) The food was of a very decent standard, though the restaurant has two parts and on our 1st night we found ourselves in the rear of the restaurant where it isn't carpeted and I found it to be very noisy. The table we had in the main body of the restaurant on the next night was more comfortable, and a lot quieter!
Of the Crerar hotels we have stayed in I would be more likely to return to the Golf View in Nairn or The Chevin at Otley before considering another trip to Inverary. Our room, 305, had an adjoining room door and you could here the conversation from next door very clearly (not that interesting, unfortunately!) I turned our TV up a little and the guests next door got the message that they could here us too! I asked if we could be moved and was told that they were fully booked and were, in fact, overbooked for the saturday. Fortunately the noise from next door wasn't bad but if our neighbours had been more inclined to rowdiness I fear the weekend could've been a disaster.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, You are absolutely correct, attention to detail should be paramount and I would like to assure you that this has been addressed with the staff, Thank you also for your comments about the restaurant, we are working hard to ensure all guests enjoy the experience. With regards to the noisey neighbour, please accept my apologies & I do hope that you will visit us again soon.

Ayrshire Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

A nice Hotel and location. Pleasant rooms and spa. Restaurant service poor waited an hour between courses. Inclusive meals very small. E.g. veg between two 1 carrot, potato, bean etc each. such a shame as it spoilt an otherwise prefect trip.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review & for your positive comments about the rooms and the Spa. We clearely got things wrong during your stay in the restaurant however this issue is being addressed with urgencey. I would be delighted if you would give me the opportunity to correct our mistakes, by returning to Loch Fyne in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

There are many negative reviews regarding this hotel and we were mary about a return visit after an excellant break previously. We were not disappointed. Room was clean and spacious. Staff friendly and helpfull with mix of locals and europeans. Food beyond reproach on quality and portions.
As I said there may ne negative reviews but we have had 2 well worthwhile visits this year.
I almost forgot the views are worth a stay alone

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you indeed for your very positive review, I am delighted that you have had enjoyable visits to the hotel, I will pass on your comments to the staff who will be pleased. I do hope that you will visit us again soon and that you enjoy many more visits to Loch Fyne.

Marc Gardner

Been to Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!