“Pretentious and overpriced.” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Pretentious and overpriced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Popped in for lunch with two friends while visiting Campbeltown recently, and was impressed by the recent changes made to this old hotel, which stands near the harbour, in what is a prime spot, in this picturesque, town. I stayed in the town in the late seventies and remember the Royal as being somewhere you went for a pint or two of beer of an evening, but not to enjoy the cuisine. I was told that it has only reopened recently after extensive refurbishment and is pitching itself towards the American golfers market. It certainly has been refurbished to a very high standard but has managed to retain the character of the old building unlike another establishment, I visited locally, on my reminiscence visit. Unfortunately, the dining experience was not as impressive. The staff are stiff, over- formal and appear "over- trained" and lacking in warmth. The food on offer was varied and reasonably priced with the surroundings but did not deliver on quality. The cauliflower soup was grey in colour and was of puréed cauliflower consistency, not soup- like. As for the paninis? Is no-one in Campbeltown able to bake or buy in quality bread suitable to providing the usual fillings associated with paninis nowadays? To be authentic a panini should be at least delivered on a Mediterranean type bread, not the cheap, mass produced, subway- type rolls on offer here, which are likened to those microwaved paninis on offer in a certain cut- price airline we all know. People have to work really hard these days and their money has to go far. I suspect the local people will visit out of curiosity and go elsewhere for a cheaper alternative. It remains to be seen whether the rich Americans keep it going- I would advise them to live- in but eat elsewhere.

MachrihanishDunes, Manager at The Harbourview Grille, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you liked our renovation of The Royal Hotel. Our goal in the renovation was to provide a full range of modern amenities while maintaining the historic character of the building and we pleased to know that you think we have achieved this objective.

Contrary to what you were told, our target customer base for the hotel extends far beyond American golfers to local residents and travelers of all types and many nationalities. We count many local residents among our dining customers-- many are regulars due to the quality of our setting, food and service as well as the “varied and reasonably priced” offerings you note in your review.

We regret that you found our staff to be "stiff, formal" and "lacking in warmth." We strive to achieve service that provides high quality standards delivered in a warm, friendly manner-- many of our other guests have noted the warmth of our staff and we regret that you did not experience the same. We also are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your food selections-- we do work hard to produce high quality offerings and regret that your experience was unsatisfactory. We have reviewed your comments with our culinary staff and will use them to improve our offerings—we are specifically making changes to our paninis that should result in a more “authentic” sandwich.

Again, thank you for your review-- we hope that you will give us another try on your next trip to Campbeltown!

Irvine, United Kingdom
“Spotless”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I wont say this is the best Restaurnt in Campbeltown but is surely a very nice one with a nice view friendly staff nice meals a bit expensive for what they do who sometimes is just the same you could get somewhere else for a better price but still the view and overall is worth a visit

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Food and service were excellent with the best meals we've had in Scotland. My salmon was locally sourced and the best I've ever eaten. This restaurant in the newly refurbished Royal Hotel recently opened and is doing a great job. For 4 meals with one dessert, drinks for all and coffee, the average per person cost was 22 pounds - well worth it for the quality of the food, ambience, and service. Highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Not the cheapest, but by far the best restaurant in Campbeltown.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Went to the Royal Hotel twice yesterday - once at lunchtime in the Black Sheep bar, then at night in the Harbour View Grill.

I'd heard before that the prices were on the high side, but the prices for lunch weren't too bad. Maybe high for the town, but not in general.

For lunch, I had a panini and my wife had a jacket potato. My panini was very good as was the other half's jacket - though it could have done with a litle more cheese. My wife commented how fresh the salad was that came with my panini.

We decided to return in the evening with our two children, and my parents. The service was quick, and again, very professional. We had a main course and a desert. I thought the menu had enough variety - certainly enough to please my kids and my parents. Between us we had 2x Boston Burgers, 2x Haddock and chips, Macaroni Cheese and a Caeser Salad. The portions were generous, and it was all well presented (especially the deserts).

The bar and the restaurant have been done out to a very high standard. All the staff were very professional and helpful.

Over the years I have been to most eating places in Campbeltown - this is easily the best I have been to. It's the best meal I've had in a restauarant anywhere in a long time. The service, the food and the setting was all excellent. Even though it wasn't cheap, I'd go so far as to say it was good value. We ate at the restaurant in the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow a few days earlier which was excellent, but this was better.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
scotland
“not quite there yet - but has potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel recently reopened after a complete makeover at the beginning of 2012 - they have undoubtedly done a good job with the refit. We visited for dinner on a Friday evening in july - it wasn't busy. The menu in the bar was the same as that in the restaurant, so we went to the restaurant. Service was good and came with a smile, the restaurant was airy and pleasant. The menu was an odd combination of mains at £22 and mains at £10. It doesn't yet seem to know what market it is aiming at - given that the yachting fraternity are literally just across the road, this would seem the obvious market, but we don't usually want sit down three course formal dining - two courses £15, 3 courses £20 is more the sort of thing that would appeal, hot food and decent portions are what you need after a day on the water. The food was good and of a high standard, but there wasn't much of it and you would have needed a fish supper afterwards -. Three courses and drinks would set you back about £30-£40 a head, so not the sort of place you would drop in on a whim. Could be great - certainly has great potential, but really needs to look to it's target market and take advice.

MachrihanishDunes, Manager at The Harbourview Grille, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your review—we are glad that you were pleased with the food quality, service and setting in our Harbourview Grille. Regarding the menu, as you note, we do offer a variety of options—our customers are quite varied, comprising local residents, business, golf and leisure travelers, as well as sailors. Consequently, we do try to offer choices for everyday dining as well as fine dining and special occasions. Regarding sailors, we do fully recognize them as a key customer group (we are the payment agent for the berthing pontoon) and have actively sought their business—so your comments on what appeals to the sailing public are appreciated. We have reviewed all of your comments with our food and beverage staff and will use them to make any needed improvements in our offerings. Again, thank you for your review—we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!