“Nice tour” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 14 Attractions in Montrose
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful Georgian house was built in the 18th century for David Erskine, a judge of the Scottish Court of Session. House of Dun is just 3 miles from Montrose and its picturesque unspoilt beaches and around 45 minutes’ drive from Aberdeen. Set amongst 368 hectares of splendid Victorian gardens and woodlands, this elegant home has a truly spectacular setting. It now hosts the NTS Hutchison and Stirling collections, some of the finest paintings and furniture in the Trust’s ownership.
16 attraction reviews
“Nice tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a guided tour, very interesting and good guide.

Was a little disappointed that our child did the fairy spotting challenge but not even as much a sweet or lollipop at the end for completing it, which is par for the course at other similar places.

Also didn't understand expecting women to leave handbags behind in a locker, which didn't seem to match the reason of someone having stolen a piece of cutlery previously. One doesn't prevent the other and seemed a bit petty, the tour is over an hour.

Visited July 2013
Houseofdun, Manager at House of Dun, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Many thanks for feedback.
Really pleased you enjoyed your tour and the fairy hunt played its part in entertaining the kids around the house, you are absolutely right about a small reward for the kids, will sort this out immediately.
A couple of years ago several items owned by the family were stolen when the house was open to the public. Each of the trusts properties is unique and comes with its own challenges, we looked at ways of protecting the collection but not diminishing the visitor enjoyment, after much deliberation it was decided to move to security lockers, the feedback has on the whole been complimentary and ladies have commented on how nice it is to tour the house without having to carry handbags etc, from our point has been the added reduction of damage being caused to the collection by items being knocked over etc by bags etc, you would be surprised how often this happens.
So the good news is we continue on the whole to show the house in a homely manner while protecting the collection for future generations to enjoy.

Alcala la Real, Spain
4 attraction reviews
“A grand day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our guided tour of House of Dun lasted more than an hour and was both entertaining and very interesting. The furniture is amongst the best I have seen and I found it difficult to control my urge to touch! There are also a good few amusing novelties such as the Victorian shower which recycles the water - a great incentive to be 'first up' of a morning. My only frustration was that we were allowed only a few minutes to enjoy the superb collection of Scottish paintings (mainly Colourists). On every Sunday in high season visitors are free to explore 'unguided'. We shall certainly do that. If you do visit, don't miss the beautiful gardens.

Visited July 2013
Houseofdun, Manager at House of Dun, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback and kind words about the property.
I am delighted you enjoyed the furniture, and of course the unforgettable Scottish Colourist collection.
Please re visit on a Sunday when as you have said can spend as much time as you like enjoying the property and its collection
Auchterarder
9 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

As has been mentioned by another contributor, there are only guided tours. Our guide had en excellent knowledge of both the history of house and its occupants. With a quite a comprehensive collection of silver, porcelain and furniture, our guide admitted that she did not have the same depth of knowledge here. (To be fair, I do not think any guide could have)It would be a great help therefore if labels were inside some of the cabinets, or information sheets were made available) The tours last around 1.5Hrs this is excellent value. You must visit the cafe, home made cakes !! and very friendly staff.

Visited June 2013
Houseofdun, Manager at House of Dun, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Many thanks for your kind words regarding your visit to Dun
Yes I agree in one hand regarding info about the porcelain and paintings etc, but on the other it would detract from the homely feel, presentation of the house and visitor enjoyment of how a country house would have looked, come along on our freeflow every Sunday, we have room cards as part of the self guided tour.
Once again many thanks
Penrith, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“BEST HOUSE TOUR YET EVER - HONEST - YOU GET TO SEE ALMOST EVERY ROOM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having just been to Glamis Castle and done the excellent tour there, on a whim, my partner and I, thought we may as well go on to the House of Dun, seeing as we're National Trust members. On first seeing the House of Dun from the outside, I thought it was going to be some anti-climax. How wrong I was. The house was amazing and the tour was even better and more extensive than Glamis, or any house tour I've ever been on! Our guide really brought the house, its people and its history to life - and, as he proudly and rightly boasted - we got to see nearly every room in the house! (Now there's a rarity!) The little shop was very good and had lots of bargains in the sale, and the café and staff were brilliant. The home-baked cakes left me squealing with delight, as I stuffed my face. If you are a history buff or a writer or poet, you will be thrilled by the House of Dun. But because you get to see almost all the rooms, I think it will appeal to most people. When we visited the housekeeper's room, I could almost see her. The tour was so atmospheric and engrossing! And, sumptuous, yet homely, I think are the key words for the decor. Small is beautiful, but there's lots to see.

Visited June 2013
Houseofdun, Manager at House of Dun, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
It really is great to see when someone has enjoyed their visit to a property, we took a hard look at the visitor journey a couple of years ago and realised that Dun is quite special, you do get to see almost every room in the house, the story of the house and its collection we have been developing, and today as you metioned you really do get a feel for what the house would have been like to have lived in it.
Many thanks for your kind words and hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday in Scotland.
Montrose, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“Been on tour around the house, wined and dined in the house and regularly visit the gardens.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I live only a mile away so easy for me to visit.
I have been very fortunate to have had a full dining experience in the main dining room. Food was excellent and the staff on duty fantastic.

I also have done the house tours when we have visitors up, again the tour guides are really good and make it interesting each time I have done it.

Finally once a every two months will take a walk around the gardens.
Nice to see the different seasons.
Early spring is amazing with all the snowdrops.

When open there are the little cafes as well, and fine cup of tea and bun to be had.
Signs at front gate tell you when it is open as it is seasonal.

Visited August 2012
Houseofdun, Manager at House of Dun, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review, I hope you enjoy visiting Dun for many years to come