“food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Strathmore Arms

Strathmore Arms
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glamis
Strathmore Arms
You added Strathmore Arms to your Saves list
1 The Square, Glamis DD8 1RS , Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glamis
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Food was not as described in the menu. I ordered chicken in a coconut and mango sauce - it came in a tomato sauce - no taste of either coconut or mango. Dessert was raspberry and drambuie trifle - again no sign of raspberry or drambuie - very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank jpmac405

Kirriemuir, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My wife, our daughter (9 months old) and I recently went here for lunch and we can't speak highly enough. Liz, who looked after us, was very friendly and engaging (especially with our daughter). She was very attentive and accomodating to our requests for menu changes and things that weren't even on the menu. The food was really good and brought to us quickly. Overall, we can't complain about anything. Thanks again.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank tails1000
Forfar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

30 Forfar cyclists enjoyed their Christmas lunch at the Strathmore Arms on Friday - lovely food, warm welcome, great service and all smoothly managed in spite of it being a very busy day. Portions were "mansize". Thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank clem44
Portknockie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were provided with a home from home for the fourth overnight stop on our charity walk. The accommodation is beautiful, the atmosphere is very homely, the room immaculate and the food is awesome. We were very hungry when we sat down at the dining table and pleasantly full when we left it!
We could not have wished for anything more and would highly recommend anyone wishing to stay in the Glamis area.
Fantastic hospitality, thank you very much for a great overnight stop :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Help_for_Heroes
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Having eaten a few times here and enjoyed excellent food and service I was very disappointed to receive very poor service on Sunday 27th. Although the bar, restaurant and lounge were busy they were far from full between 1 and 2pm. Although we sat down before 1, when we had booked for, I had to look for a waiter/waitress before we could order over 30 minutes later. The slow service lasted all meal. Although we were not in a hurry the lack of attention was disappointing.
The food when it eventually arrived was hot and excellent. We were never asked if we were enjoying the food or required anything else. When I paid the bill I was not asked anything about the experience so the payment reflected the lack of service!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank Ian F
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I stopped here for a coffee on the way to Glen Clova. It was raining so we decided to go inside. Some tables in the small dining area were full but not them all. The large dining area had one family seated at a table the rest of the area was empty. We were offered seats at the bar, we declined and left. Is it the policy of this Hotel to only allow those who are having a meal to sit at a table? We drove to the Glen Glova Hotel were the staff were excellent and friendly. We shall not stop ever again at the Strathmore Arms. Welcome to Scotland!!

Room Tip: Avoid if possible
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jim m
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My partner and I were visiting family in the area last week and asked them to recommend somewhere we could treat them to a meal to thank them for opening up their home to us for a week. They recommended the Strathmore Arms and the recommendation was spot on. It was a busy Friday night, there was a large, noisy, pre-wedding party taking place in the room adjacent to the restaurant and the restaurant itself was about 2/3 full. Our waitress, Gemma, was brilliant. She ensured the noise from the party was minimised by shutting the curtains between the restaurant and the function room. Nothing was too much trouble and she made our evening more enjoyable with her good humour and genial banter. My brother is in the catering business and is a harsh critic but he couldn't find fault with anything. The food was excellent. 2 of us had duck with hoi sin sauce for a starter which was delicious, my sister-in-law and I chose the lamb for our main course which was tender and beautifully cooked. My brother opted for the venison and, as I had never tried it before, gave me some to taste. It was incredibly tender and the flavour was on a par with the best chateaubriand. I dislike undercooked/overcooked/over salted food and couldn't find fault with the abundance of vegetables which were cooked to perfection. My partner had the steak pie, full of steak and gravy and enough for the largest of appetites. The dessert menu had plenty of choice, 3 of us opted for the Panacotta with lime which finished the meal perfectly, my partner had a huge portion of forest Fruits Cheesecake which was just the right side of sharp not to be cloying, the coffee floaters were delicious and the cost for four of us was very reasonable considering the high quality of the food and service. I highly recommend the restaurant and am surprised by the negative comments on this site.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Limpet59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glamis
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Glen Clova Hotel
Glen Clova Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Clova
4.5 of 5 stars 318 reviews

Been to Strathmore Arms? Share your experiences!