“Authentic Italian Cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Authentic Italian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed dinner here recently. Service is very fast, food is all homemade and very tasty. Extremely good value, a bowl of minestrone soup was only £2. The restaurant is relaxed and has a bustly cafe atmosphere. This is not a fine dining experience but it is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, Friendly and quick service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We visited Carmines as a family group of nine. We were the last table in on a Saturday night. The staff are friendly and very efficient. We had 3 courses and coffee and were back out in just over 45 minutes. That said we were never rushed by the staff, they just had things ready when they needed to be. The food was great and is really good value.
The restaurant is small and is actually more like a cafe than a restaurant. I think this may be where some bad reviews come from as people may go here expecting a fancy restaurant. Go there and accept the place as a small and intimate cafe and you will get a lovely meal and a good laugh with the staff who are very friendly.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
aberdeen
“Shocking - Avoid At All Costs!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I took a client to Carmine's for lunch as it was in a handy location for us both. Never again! One of the strangest and thoroughly unpleasant experiences of my life.

Where do I start? We ordered diet coke to drink, only to have a 2 litre bottle slammed down on our table. The waitress didn't even offer to pour our drinks, just left the empty glasses on our table. She then came quickly back to take our order. I hadn't decided yet, so she stood glaring at me whilst muttering under her breath until I decided.

The food itself was ok ( pizza ), although very greasy. Have had far better pizza in Aberdeen many times before.

When we finished our pizza the waitress came over and took our plates away. Our 2 litre bottle of coke was still a quarter full, but the waitress just picked it up off the table and proceeded to put it in the fridge, presumably to be used later for other diners, even though we had paid for the whole bottle.

She then said to me "That's £37". I have never been anywhere that doesn't present you with a bill showing what you are paying for, so was a bit bemused. I asked for a bill, as I wanted to check the amount was correct, and also as I needed a receipt for expenses, and that was when the waitress erupted! She asked why I wanted a bill, and started getting very angry. Next thing the owner came out from the kitchen and started shouting about the quality of the food we had. I kept trying to explain that I needed a receipt for expenses, but they were both extremely irate by this point. I then handed the waitress my credit card, only to be told "cash or cheque only". My colleague had to go to the nearest bank and get money to pay for the meal. When we did pay, we were presented with a tiny cash register type receipt, that didn't have anything on it apart from the total. No name, breakdown of the cost, VAT number, or anything else that you find on a normal restaurant receipt.

We hadn't finished our drinks, and were still chatting, but then the waitress came over and took our glasses off the table, and stood staring at us. Obviously it was time to go.

The waitress has to be the rudest person I have ever had the misfortune to meet. I have no idea why she was so hostile, but it was a genuinely horrible experience and not what you expect when you go to a restaurant for lunch.

I will never go back there, and just hope that I can warn as many people as I can about what to expect if they ever go there. I just feel sorry for anyone that goes there not knowing what lies in store for them.

Shocking - Avoid at all costs!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Rustic food, like home cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I would generally have walked by Carmine's without giving it a second thought.

However a guy I used to work with highly recommended it, so thought we could give it a go.

What a wonderful surprise it turned out to be. Now one of the regular places we go to when
in Aberdeen. Not a large establishment, sometimes you have to come back for a table.

The food is not picture perfect, as per a chain or a more polished place.

However it has that fantastic home cooked rustic flavour and feel. I have had a mixture of dishes here and all have been very good. My wife favours the Calzonie pizza (spelling ??), they are packed with filling, she has not finished one yet. It has become the owners standing joke, about maybe she will finish this one.

I would have no fears recommending this restaurant to anyone. They will all enjoy it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Absolute gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Delicious Italian cuisine in a gorgeous intimate and relaxed enviroment - fell in love with the place. Great food, great atmosphere - couldn't recommend it more!

• Visited March 2013