“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
dundee
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

we stayed at this hotel very recently. it looked and sounded very promising on line so we booked it with no hesitation. the hotel presented as badly needing a face lift through out and was not particularly clean. our room, which was a suite, was dark and dismal. the fixtures and features all were worn and tired and the room could have used a deep clean. the bed linen was ok but either the bed or the pillows smelled pretty bad. we did not sleep well at all. reception staff were helpful.

we would never stay here again! central location ideal for getting around but also a lot of intimidating characters hanging around. also, very noisey area.

we were not inspired to have breakfast so only had toast and coffee which were of a poor quality. there was very little choice of cooked breakfast entrees which so many of others now offer.

over all, very disappointing.

Room Tip: choose somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ate here last Friday and was not impressed with the food at all - however lovely staff and lovely surroundings and gorgeous wine by the glass.

Starters were good and enjoyed them both - mains were a huge let down. My friend's pasta was so overcooked it was inedible, my pizza was tasty but was burnt black at one side. And nearly £14 for a pizza is just too much - Pizza Express pizzas are far superior. Both our desserts were pretty dire - creme brulee which had never seen the underneath of a grill, and resembled no creme brulee I have ever seen, also chocolate mousse that was more like chocolate icing you'd get on a chocolate gateau. We did not have to pay for one of the mains and got one dessert free so they took on board that my friend did not eat any of her meal which was good.

They no longer serve lunch at Sopranos - when I asked i was told they only do Starbucks food through the day - I found that very odd.

Will return but only for a glass of wine, I would avoid the food.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Arbroath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This is not a review of the hotel itself as we didn't stay there, but a review of the restaurant/bistro part.

My wife and I have had lunch there on a few occasions when visiting Aberdeen city centre. There are a variety of other 'theme' restaurants just across the way in Union Square, but in those you are just another table. In Sopranos we are always made to feel welcome and our time is valued. There is always a pleasant greeting from the efficient, polite staff.

The food is always cooked fresh, so don't be surprised to wait 20+ minutes for it as it will be worth the wait. Highly recommended is the pizza, which we had heard about from other customers, as it is one of the best I have ever tasted. Very authentic. Another favourite is the fish and chips with very chunky chips. Being just across from the harbour the fish is extremely fresh and delicious.

The lunch menu is also very reasonably priced and there is a good selection of wines available.

The only disappointing thing to comment on is the introduction of Starbucks branded coffee. There is nothing wrong with the coffee itself, but there is huge display fridge which is wheeled in every morning (then wheeled out again before the evening custom) and is positioned just inside the front door but taking up room at one of the best tables. Not only does the fridge face completely the wrong way so the contents are not on display to anyone but people at one table, but it makes sitting at that table, overlooking the street and harbour, not particularly comfortable. It feels like this enormous fridge is bearing down on you! Such a shame that the Starbucks franchising means they have to use this fridge and display but there isn't actually anywhere appropriate for it to go. We were fortunate that the bar was quiet when we went in so we had other tables to choose from, but would have liked to use our favourite table.

All in all though, we are really satisfied with the service and food in Sopranos and would commend everyone to go there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

It was a gale force, cold rainy winters day when I arrived at this hotel.
I liked the upbeat colourful design. Unfortunately this level of care didn't reflect in the hotel infrastructure.
My room was freezing. There was a small heater for me to plug in. I had to practically wrap myself around it to warm up. It didn't give out enough heat for the room.
I was rushing to get out that evening and went to have a shower. The water wouldn't warm up. 5 minutes running and it was still literally freezing. I couldn't believe I'd payed for this hotel!
It angered me that the receptionist didn't seem surprised when I complained about the shower. They offered me a new room, which I took them up on when I returned later that night.
So, to end my experience at the soprano, my new shower went from scorching hot to cold. I managed to rinse my hair, but it was a bit of a jumpy experience. Not what you want on a cold winters day in Aberdeen
Hugely disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hamilton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

There are no decent cheap hotels in Aberdeen but this one is pretty good value for money. I did have to pay in advance and the payment is non-refundable - so be aware of tnhis. The room itself was quite small but clean and adequate with tea-making facilities and a television. It is very near the railway station, the bust station and the centre of things in Aberdeen. For an overnight stay, I found it ideal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here last Saturday in a single room. The hotel is in a great location very close to the train and bus stations in the city centre. The staff were really helpful and let me keep my case there before check-in and after, although I was surprised when the male receptionist told me to go into the wee cupboard and get it myself!

The website gives the impression of a boutique hotel but it's not quite at that standard. The room wasn't perfect (there were missing tiles in the shower room and the usual wear and tear) but I wouldn't expect it to be at the price I paid, it was cheaper than staying in a Travelodge! But it was clean and cosy and had everything I needed and suited me perfectly for my visit.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is located near the station which makes it great for those arriving by train. The rooms vary is size and having stayed here several times, I make sure I get one that is not too small. The staff are very helpful and the breakfasts excellent. This place has a bit of character and is used as a meeting place for an international group

Room Tip: If you need to work as I did, make sure you get a room where the chair can fit in front of the desk
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel? Share your experiences!