“Pleasant stay but dissapointing after service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites

You added BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Summerhill Court | Lang Stracht, Aberdeen AB15 6TW, Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #17 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay but dissapointing after service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here on a deal through Groupon and this was our first visit. From the outside the hotel doenst look too pleasing but inside it is clean and tidy. Our room was a suite with ample facilites and again was clean. We also ate dinner and breakfast twice and this was all very nice too. Unfortunately upon arriving back home I found that I had left my £150 GHD hair straighteners in my room. Clearly dismayed by this, I contacted the hotel to advise them. Whilst they were unable to check there and then, I did receive a call back from a member of the reception team some 4 hours after my initial call. I was shocked to learn that my hair straighteners were not there! The same member of the reception team did not seem at all interested and when I pressed her about the matter she became somewhat irritated with me. I manged to confirm with her that someone else had stayed in my room after I left however the rooms are always checked thoroughly after each guest leaves. In light of this, why were they not picked up? Clearly they were not on the hotels itineray so why did the housekeeping team not hand them in to lost property. I appreciate that is my error in leaving the irons there however I am sure I am not the first person in the world to leave something in a hotel room. Fair enough if I had left the item on a train or bus but they never left the hotel room so they cant have just disappeared into thin air? It is incredibly upsetting that they have been lost or dare I say stolen. They were a present from my parents for my birthday and were not cheap. My father has called twice and whilst the reception manager has said the matter has been fully investigated I am at a loss as to why they have not been found? Very dissapointing end to a nice stay in Aberdeen.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Lynsey T

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that your stay with us on the main part was a positive one. I am somewhat dismayed that your hair straighteners seem to have not been logged into our lost property.

We have checked and double checked to ensure they were not placed in lost property without being logged and unfortunately this was not the case. We have also spoken to the housekeeping team who assure us they did not find any hair straighteners as we have a very strict policy in guest property.

We have also double checked our in house cctv system and there are no items of lost property apparent on this footage as guest security is of paramount importance.

Overall I can only apologise this has affected your recent stay with us, we hope to see you again in the near future.

manager@summerhillhotelandsuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

excellent hotel, very clean and warm. The rooms are not large but very presentable with full tea coffee facilities in the room.
The evening meal was excellent served in a very bright conservatory. the breakfast-buffet service was full Scottish in ample supply.
my only concern was the car park which was a public car park servicing nearby shops and a very rough pub below the hotel. I saw a couple of dodgy males exiting the pub checking the vehicles.

Room Tip: good hotel and excellent value,very clean with excellent food and full self service Scottish breakfa...
Dear steve s

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, our guests feedback is always appreciated as only through our guests comments do we know we are achieving our set standards.

The car park is for most guests a concern although issues with the car park are few and far between although on first sight it can be very daunting.

fifer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

what can we say stayed sat 2nd and sun 3d nov evening dinner and b and b given large room complete with kitchen absolutely fab food both nights super,breakfast also very good ,every member of staff we met were brilliant including night porter.outside hotel so so ,Flush on toilet broke i reported this and was repaired instantly the service in this hotel is first class also house keeping in our room was spot on we would stay here in an instant again THANKS TO MANAGER AND STAFF WISH THERE WAS DRAUGHT CIDER

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Fifer Wdg

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your return stay with us, our guests feedback is always appreciated as only through our guests comments do we know we are achieving our set standards.

As for the draft cider I will certainly make sure we have draught cider available for your next visit.

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We got a deal through Groupon to try the Sunday carvery. That was my first visit - I'd never been before as the fact that it was Summerhill put me off to be honest. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was nice inside and the food was quite good. It was quite off putting that there were waiting staff standing right at the carvery watching everything we did when we were putting the food on our plates (I wasn't going to put any potatoes in my pocket, honest) - I put that down to the carvery perhaps being a new thing for them though (just don't do it again please). Another small gripe about the carvery was there was no stuffing and they had a few salad items, which I didn't think was necessary (would rather have the stuffing please). They had a good selection of sauces to go with the meal. Overall, quite good and would go again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Paula S

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your lunch with us, the carvery concept is very much a new addition and as such the team are a little too attentive at times with our guests.

Our guests feedback is always appreciated as only through our guests comments do we know we are achieving our set standards.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Ok so from outside the building does not look good the car park makes you very wary of what lies ahead . You go through the doors to be greeted by a very good hotel for the money considering you are in Aberdeen. Room a very good size nicely decorated , well maintained clean and comfortable. More surprises supply of toiletries, the goody bag , supplies in fridge far better that most hotels. Good breakfast dinner menu not extensive but very enjoyable. Bus to city regular .staff friendly .

I would imagine the hotel has little influence over the outside , whichever company owns the shopping area will no doubt dictate

I woukd stay there again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Margaret B

The car park is very daunting, as you say our control over the public car park is extremely limited although I am glad once inside the hotel any initial concerns were turned around.

Kelso, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Our first view of the hotel was pure horror but as we had used a Groupon Voucher we were prepared to 'Grin and Bear' it but we needn't have worried. Once inside the hotel we were very pleasantly pleased, and relieved. From the welcome at reception to the very clean and delightful rooms we were very happy. There were goodies replenished every morning and very good toiletries that were unlooked for. The restaurant appearance was good and the chef's dishes, excellent. At breakfast we were very pleased to be asked how we would like our eggs as they were cooked fresh. Well done to all the staff.

Room Tip: There are larger rooms with kitchens on the top floor
Dear Gillian B

The car park area can be a little daunting even for our returning guests, unfortunately we have little control over this area as this is a public car park. Thank you for your very positive comments regarding the interior of the hotel and our team members.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This stay was by way of a Groupon voucher. The hotel was nice and clean, the room was adequate - a kin to a Travelodge type room. They provided a nice little welcome bag and fruit which I though was nice. No complaints about the room at all apart from being quite small. We had dinner in the restaurant as it was a DB&B stay, dinner was nice apart from a raw chicken wing on our starter but we received a complimentary drink for this which we didn't expect. Main course was good, I had oriental salmon, my husband had the burrito and wasn't impressed. Cooked breakfast was really poor I have to say, among the worst I've had..the continental was good enough. On checkout they tried to charge us for our complimentary drinks but took it off when I queried so no arguments there. It was an ok stay but I wouldn't go back I'm afraid.

Dear MrsForgetful

We receive many excellent comments regarding our menu and food standards though of course every ones expectations are completely different and please accept my apologies your dinner was less than favourable especially your chicken wings as this is unacceptable in any establishment.

Overall please accept our apologies your stay was not an enjoyable one, please do contact us directly if you are in the area again and we will certainly ensure your stay is a pleasant experience next time.

manager@summerhillhotelandsuites.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites? Share your experiences!