Due to a late booking by my company for an overnight in Aberdeen on business, I wasn't able to have my choice of hotels and this one was chosen for me. My first and last time at the Summerhill. As other reviewers have said, it's on the edge of a very rough looking area of Aberdeen, Mastrick, and doesn't have it's own car park. Like others, I was uneasy about leaving my car here overnight, although it was fine when I returned in the morning.
Enough has been said about the outside appearance of the hotel - it looked like a converted DSS office to me and I was surprised to discover that it was a purpose bulit hotel originally. The route through to the car park was under the hotel, and was unpleasant - I wouldn't want to walk through it in the dark.
I don't like hotels on busy roads and Summerhills is near a busy junction, although having said that the double glazing did keep the road noise down. What was worse was the poor sound insulation between rooms and the very loud and constant flushing of other rooms' toilets. Other rooms doors also banged noisily. Not a good night's sleep.
I was given a single room, which was small but did have a desk that was just about big enough for me to do some work on. The bed was OK for a single but I prefer to sleep in larger beds even when on my own. It was quite hard but not uncomfortable. I had no problem with the cleanliness. The bathroom was tiny and had the smallest washbasin I've ever seen - barely big enough to get both hands in!
I didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment. I thought the cooked breakfast was very good for a hotel buffet, particularly the bacon which was very nice. Little choice of fruit or other stuff on the cold buffet though.
The young lad on reception was pleasant and helpful as was the lady on breakfast duty in the morning.
I have already told my company not to book me in at the Summerhill again. The price paid by my company was about the same as full price at a Premier Inn but the room and quality was lower.
- Also Known As:
- Summerhill Hotel And Aberdeen
- Summerhill Hotel And
- Summerhill Hotel Aberdeen
- BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites Aberdeen, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel & Suites is offering a choice of 23 standard rooms and 22 suites with modern styling. Selected rooms offer views across the Grampian region and sea views on a clear day.Come and relax, soak up the atmosphere in our modern stylish Bistro conservatory Restaurant which offers a wide range of dishes to suit your taste. Whether it’s a light lunch, high tea or leisurely Dinner, a warm welcome awaits at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel & Suites.Our contemporary lounge bar offers a wide range of fine wine, spirits beers and cocktails. Whether it’s a quick drink after work, a bar meal or socialising with friends you’ll find this the ideal place to meet up. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Otel and Hotels.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.