“Ok for budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 61 hotels in Aberdeen
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
“Ok for budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Hotel very handy for town centre. Staff very helpful and friendly. Room etc. clean and bed comfy. Breakfast good and plenty of choice (not bad value compared to some hotels.).

Room was very warm though and we weren't sure how to turn down the heating. If we had stayed more than one night we would have had to get someone to turn it down.

Heard alot of noise - people talking etc. from other rooms and corridor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thank you very much for your review. We welcome all feedback as this enables us to continue to meet the expectations of our guests and give you the best possible service. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by the Management Team at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on business. Arrived at 19:30 & there was 1 single space left in a disabled spot. Checked that I could park there & they said they would let me know if I had to move it.

Ideal location for what I needed.
Staff were very efficient especially in the restaraunt. Food was decent & meal deal was good value.

Road noise wasn't too bad - depends what you're used to.
Overall was good.

• Stayed March 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Good value, we stayed in a family room both the children were on mattresses on the floor! Previous stay at westhill premier inn one child had a single bed and one child was on mattress on floor, room was very large and clean. It was a bit well worn, scratched wooden shelving unit, squint bedside lamps, burn marks on Lino in bathroom but perfectly functionable and clean, staff very friendly and helpful, carpark is limited but we got a space and that was on a Saturday, only a 5 minute walk to Bon accord shopping centre

• Stayed March 2011
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Let's be honest one Premier inn can be just like any other, so it's nice to single one out for special mention. I arrived about 8.30 on a very wet evening and despite the car park being full (OK it could do with being bigger but this is a city centre hotel), one of the staff went out in the pouring rain to move her car so that I could park safely. Brilliant...but there's more!

The restaurant deserves mention too...well, the food was about average but perfectly acceptable and decent value but I have to say that the service would have done one of my local over-priced bistro-pubs proud. Absolutely spot-on - well done to all the staff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thanks for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. We are so pleased that you had a comfortable stay and that our team ensured that you were well looked after. We value all feedback that we receive from our guests and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Middlesex, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

My brother and I stayed here in early January, just after the Hogmanay festivities were winding down. Our stay in Aberdeen was part of a short break using a bargain rail deal, which also took in York where we also stayed at the Premier Inn. (for which I've written a separate review). It was interesting to compare the two, and indeed to note the differences between the Aberdeen City Centre Premier Inn and the company's Inverness Central hotel where we had stayed the previous year on a similar deal. I'm sorry to say I'd rate this the worst of the three, hence the lower overall rating for this hotel.

We arrived at Aberdeen station just after nine p.m, a little later than scheduled. Of course, this was January and it was rather cold, and we did not know the city at all. A taxi was the obvious option to take us to our hotel, but be warned. Aberdeen on a winter Thursday is not the tourist mecca which is York. Another train company's long distance service had arrived just a bit before ours, meaning we had a relatively long wait- probably the best part of fifteen minutes- for our taxi at the station. It was a cold wait too, with poor facilities for late night passengers arriving at the station unless you were to leave the station concourse and venture into an unfamiliar city centre.

However, our taxi driver was friendly and the journey of perhaps a mile and a half or so to the Premier Inn was pleasant..The location could not best be appreciated at night, but in the dim late dawn of an early January morn, it showed itself to be opposite one of the city's most historic buildings. Normally, this has a museum, which it would have been convenient to visit, but unfortunately it is currently closed as part of a major project.

The driver dropped us off right outside the hotel, which was very good of him as it was actually a double yellow line no waiting zone- the official "Drop off zone" for the hotel is apparently in the car park in the hotel's basement- where we had a rather cold wait, again for longer than expected, on our Saturday morning trip back to the station. It seems as though Aberdeen could do with a few more cab drivers!

Check-in at reception was fairly straightforward and businesslike- at least it was not an automated process as at York. It's a shame though that it seems these sort of hotels feel that their staff and management have to be clones rather than individuals, which can lead to an apparent lack of 'friendliness' or welcome, which would have been appreciated at this relatively late hour after a long journey.

I'm disappointed that the "Management Represenative" response to other reviews on this site have clearly come from centralised reservations, using standard phrases, rather than allowing the individual hotel duty managers to make their own comments- although I could understand senior central management wanting to check them first.

There were convenient and efficient lifts to all floors from the spacious reception area- we were on the first floor. The first thing that struck me however en route to our room was the very unpleasant and pervasive smell of stale tobacco smoke in the corridors. Given that Scotland was the first country in the UK to ban smoking in public buildings some years ago, this really surprised, indeed shocked me. I trust and hope that smoke alarms would pick up any instances of smoking in rooms and corridors, but maybe warning notices and CCTV cameras, sadly, are needed in the corridors. This smell affected my overall judgment of the hotel and the management did themselves no favour by not attending to it. Had none of their housekeeping staff heard of air fresheners or carpet de-odorisers? Perhaps it would be a good idea to impose or warn of a fine for anyone caught smoking- it is, after all, illegal in hotels.

This is obviously an older hotel, and the layout of the rooms reflected this. The first thing I noticed, which disappointed me, was that we had twin single beds, rather than two doubles as had been the case in York and I had expected here. The bed I had seemed rather too narrow for my own preference, and I could easily have fallen out of bed especially since- as another guest has observed- the beds were on wheels and moved about a bit. Although I did not claim on the "good night's sleep guarantee", with hindsight I think I should have done.

On the positive side, the room was quiet and warm and once again the central heating and climate controls were easy to use. Certainly adequate for the time of year. I had no problems with the bathroom, which was well supplied with soap and shower gel. Tea and coffee making facilities were fine, and extra sachets were available from reception without charge or fuss. The Freeview TV also had the welcome facility to blank the TV screen to enable the radio to be played overnight without having to have a blue screen shining all night.

Each bed had a bedside lamp on the headboard but no bedside socket. There was also very little space to put one's various bits and pieces suchas a mobile phone, overnight. In these days of so many digital devices,it really ought to be standard practice to provide plenty of space and bedside mains supply for guests who bring their own electrical equipment. The only other sockets provided were on the desk a good nine feet or so from the bedhead.

For a short stay, we had no issue with the storage space, but it's true that for a longer stay it might prove a bit small. A chest of drawers would be a useful addition to the furnishings. However, one thing I can say is that Premier Inns excel with the decorative prints and pictures in their hotel rooms which make the rooms a little bit less bland than they might otherwise be.

After putting our cases into our rooms, we went down to the bar area. By now it must have been gone 10.00 p.m, which meant that unfortunately the restaurant was closed or about to. Premier Inns do seem to close rather early by modern standards- perhaps opening hours til 10.30 or even 11 might be better (the Wetherspoons pub chain, after all, offer food up til 10.00 or later in most of their branches).

As it happens. we didn't really need a large meal anyway, since we had hot snacks on the train, but it would have been nice to have some facility on the premises for hot food or at least sandwiches later at night. At least however I was able to have a "pudding": the hotel has one of those rather fun Ben and Jerry's ice cream vending machines in the ground floor lobby, which is also where the (fee-charging) cash machine and wi-fi terminals are located. However, it does arrive quite frozen, so it's wise to buy perhaps half an hour or so before you want to eat it!
Also available in other machines were chocolate bars, crisps and sundry toiletries- although I would prefer not to have seen condoms on view in a vending machine in such a prominent area. Would not it be better to follow conventional practice and have a dedicated machine in the toilets for these?

Although the restaurant was closed, the bar was open so we had a night cap. The service at the bar seemed hardly very friendly- not hostile, but equally not particularly welcoming. Also, there was no "real ale" available, something that would have made my stay. The seating area available in the bar was adequate but not as comfortable as other Premier Inn restaurants, and there was TV on plus free newspapers.

In the morning we took the breakfast buffet on both days. This was the by now familiar Premier Inn fare, with which I have few issues bar two. Could you not also offer kippers as a breakfast item- particularly in such a prominent fishing centre as the east coast of Scotland! They are hardly expensive and can be prepared in a microwave. I hope Premier management might pay heed to this and consider it as a "to order" option at least. Also, please consider Worcester Sauce as a breakfast condiment.

On the second day of our stay, we arrived at the waiting area of the restaurant and it seemed like nearly five minutes before any waiting staff arrived to seat us. Interaction with the staff was minimal, unlike York where they had seemed friendly without being intrusive. Here, largely with foreign staff, it was disappointing.

We did not use the restaurant on the second night of our stay, preferring a pre-theatre supper before an excellent, fun family pantomime at the theatre. On the general point of these meal deals, by the way, I fail to understand why Premier Inns cannot offer guests the choice of a starter and a main course, or a main course and a dessert. More flexibility in their offers would be greatly appreciated by this guest at least.

Check out was straightforward and the receptionist ordered a taxi for us at no extra charge.

Overall, our stay here was tolerable but I'd hesitate to call it overly pleasant or memorable. As the Premier Inn chain has proved it can do an excellent job, I hope they might improve their staff training and facilities at this hotel in what is, after all, quite an important city. Nevertheless, I think the ratings of just 1 star by some guests here were unjustified and I wonder if they might even have been deliberately negative? I find it hard to believe that a member of the hotel's own starff was writing the reviews.

Stay here, yes, but you might like to check out other places in Aberdeen.

• Stayed January 2011
leicestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

family room was shabby. the pull out bed was in actual fact a mattress on a board on the floor very dissapointing.
The traffic noise and the fall out from the 2 pubs was horrendous. and it never stopped all night.
wont stay here again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, at Premier Inn it really matters to us that our guests are comfortable and have a good nights sleep. On the occasions we do not meet the expectations of our guests we take your feedback very seriously and will investigate fully. Thanks for your review we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Lerwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I had a 2 night stay when i had to be in Aberdeen to attend a hospital appointment.It was horrendous snow,chaos on the roads.I booked my taxi in the morning to pick me up from the Premier Inn to the Hospital in the afternoon.I waited for my taxi and it didnt turn up.I would have missed my appointment if it hadnt been for the excellent staff.I asked one of the receptionists what to do there was no way to get another taxi or bus,i would miss my appointment ,she went away and came back with David their Chef who said he would take me in his own car.It was horrendous on the roads but thanks to David he got me there for my appointment.
I cant praise them enough.I was staying on my own and felt safe i had an excellent meal at a table where i didnt feel in any way intimidated by others,a lovely comfortable room,warm lovely facilities.
They went out of their way to help me in a difficult situation, in any way they could.I wouldnt want to stay anywhere else.
Well done.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre? Share your experiences!