“Nice Business hotel near Aberdeen Airport” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Aberdeen Airport

You added Courtyard Aberdeen Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard Aberdeen Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Argyll Way | Aberdeen Airport, Dyce, Aberdeen AB21 0AF , Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free WiFi + Late Checkout
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reading, United Kingdom
“Nice Business hotel near Aberdeen Airport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Brand new luxurious Business Hotel close to Aberdeen Airport. Smart, luxurious, Airconditioned rooms with free WiFi. Walking distance from Aberdeen Airport. Only downside is there is no shuttle service that operates between airport terminal and the hotel.

Plenty paid car parking also available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardManager1, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for your great review of our Hotel. Its always nice to get 5 stars!
Whilst we dont have a shuttle bus, we do provide a Complimentary transfer between the hotel and the Terminal via the 727 Bus which passes every 20 mins between 4am and 10.30pm.
Thank you again for your review, and we hope we can welcome you back to our hotel in the near future
Happy traveling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Having read some of the previous reviews, I feel I may have been staying in a different hotel!
This hotel is refreshingly different in approach. When I arrived late after a long flight, I needed clean, accessible and 'straight forward'. Check-in was fine and the room was fantastic and sleek. The menu is limited, but fine for my needs. Having stayed in a Courtyard in Munich, I am delighted to have one here - I prefer the less formal approach to hotels and will stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardManager1, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad that you had a pleasant stay, and that you appreciate our more informal approach to doing business. It’s always good to get positive comments, and be assured we will take on board your observations about the limited menu
Happy traveling!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel has received a number of adverse reviews since it opened last month.I will now buck that trend with true & fair comments.
My wife & I booked to stay 3 nights at the very advantageous weekend rate & then tour Aberdeenshire where we had not visited for many years.Our initial experience was good, new room, 40'' HDTV with good channel choice,superb bathroom with walk-in shower. Food was good although menu very limited with ordering similar to that in our local at home -i.e the modern way!
Both being in our 70's, the staff could not have been more helpful & friendly. On a few occasions there were waits to check-in but this can happen at airport hotels when flights arrive frequently.
Subsequently we travelled onward to a Lodge which had received positive T/A reviews but as we found the service there diabolical we left after 1 night of a planned 3 night stay.
On contacting Marriott central reservations we returned to the Courtyard at Dyce where we stayed for the remaining 6 nights of our holiday visiting different locations each day.
Although the Bistro floor had to be relayed over the weekend we were no way inconvenienced where the staff coped admirably with the situation.
All new hotels experience teething troubles & although this is not a hotel for 'family' holidays, I feel it will develop into a very good one to serve the industry they Aberdeen is famous for & I wish it success for the future
Both our stays there were very good & would recommend it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardManager1, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel. As a new hotel, it’s always nice to get good feedback, which is a wonderful motivator for our team, and be assured I will be sharing this with them.
Regards
Reading, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The review below mine is a great review, sadly I hadn’t read it before going to this hotel.
I stayed last night for 1 night, we had a 25 minute check-in process (there was 1 person in the queue in front of me).
I have nothing against hiring foreign staff, but they must at the very least understand what you are saying. I had to write down my last name after the reception couldn’t find my details and I then had to write down my postcode because they couldn’t understand me. (I don’t have a strong accent).

My 5th floor “airport view” room (I’m not sure it actually was) just looked onto the back of the Premier Inn opposite – taunting me that I should have gone there instead!. The rest of the room is fine as you would expect in a brand new hotel. With the highlight (if you can call it that) being the nice new HD TV.
The sink in the bathroom is very odd, they’ve clearly gone with design over function, it’s small and impractical for you to wash your face/clean teeth etc.

Anyway, downstairs to the bar area, I ordered a (£4) pint and was told they don’t do bar tabs, so I’d need to pay and order food on a new bill. That aside the irony is they did not have any change in the register, so I stood there for another 5 minutes whilst they ran off to get change – which was all coins. Of course this is just an annoyance, but after the poor introduction it just compounded my thoughts.

Onto food, as stated previously, then menu is ‘sparse’. With only a choice of 3 mains, 3 salads & 3 light bites. So I ordered the food and asked for it all to be brought out together. Paid by card, but the staff had never used the card machine before so had to get help to process the payment (more training needed!).
Once the food was ready, only 1 dish came out, we sat patiently for about 10 mins before one of the (the only?) English staff came over and asked if everything was ok, I said I thought it was all coming out together, and she apologised and went back into the kitchen. Came back immediately with our other dishes – with my burger looking like it’s been sat on a hot plate, very dry and over-done.

I will however, just throw in a positive comment here though, was that the little ‘booths’ are a great idea with your own TV and remote, very nice touch.

Gave up on the rest of the food and called it a night, well almost, as I was up all night feeling decidedly unwell after the meal. A really uncomfortable night.

Just to add the icing on the cake… Breakfast…, had to point to my room number as the staff once again couldn’t understand me again (not just me, I saw everyone struggling). I went for my coffee and the machine had broken. The staff took my room card off my table whilst I was getting food and took it back to reception. I recovered the card back went up to the room, and of course, it had been deactivated!

All in all this place is a perfect example of how not to run a hotel – having stayed in a large number of other hotels in Aberdeen this one is now at the bottom of the list purely down to the staff.

In Summary
Good:
Clean (new) rooms
Decent TV’s

Bad:
Staff/Service
Prices
Staff

Would I stay here again – not at all, would rather go to the Hilton Tree-tops and that place needs knocking down.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lauren C, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.
Clearly we have failed on this occasion to deliver the experience you expected, and for that we are truly sorry. Be assured we do not take this lightly, and are working hard to address the issues you have highlighted. As a newly opened property, we do not always get things right first time, but I am confident we will get it right and deliver the service you would expect

scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights for a weekend away in Aberdeen, having stayed in many Marriott's over the years I was looking forward to the newly built hotel. I unfortunately was disappointed.

First off reception...very pleasant to start but none of them know what they are doing it took about 15 minutes to check in and this was with no que! Then I was told about a £50 deposit I would need to put on my credit card for well...we don't even know what for, breakages or something but apparently I should have been happy as she should have charged me £100 because we were staying 2 days but she was only going to charge us £50....This is not on the website neither have I ever come across this in my entire days of staying at hotels including luxury hotels never, I would understand if I was paying by cash but they had my credit card details...don't hotels just charge to that if you wreck something ? but anyway after I had been pretty nipped off at the women trying to say I should be pleased about the £50 instead of the £100 I had to ask them about the car park and thankfully I did its £5 a day but if you don't let them know you have your car there you can be fined £100 ...chances are they wont ask you so remind them and tell them you have a car!

The room....well its lovely, big bed bigTV what more could you want....well...some nice sheets would have helped. The sheets and pillows on the bed are so cheap its unreal i'm sure premiere inns have much better sheets than this place they were so scratchy my boyfriend found it so uncomfortable and for that reason he says he will never go back. the rest of the room is fine tea and coffee although we had no milk not even UHT tubs so that was pointless but what I did like is the fridge in the cupboard.

The food...not sure if you could even call it that but their menu n general is sparse ...thats putting it lightly you have to order at the bar Wetherspoons style and sit at your table with a number ...fair enough they are trying to cut costs but it wasn't very enjoyable having to constantly get up to get more drinks or order dessert it was annoying, what I did love was the booths with individual TV's was a nice touch that you could sit and watch something while eating. The food itself was ok...I say ok as some things were nice others awful what ever you do do not order fish and chips...its just the frozen stuff you get at home but i'm sure the ones I have in my freezer are better quality. The breakfast now that I enjoyed you had a choice of bacon, sausage,egg and beans for hot food all were very nice, also had toast cereals and yogurts etc filled us up all day which is perfect.

They also have a wee shop area where you can get some things including food, we got some ice cream and some sandwiches on our second night and yes its pricey but it was convenient and the sandwich I had I thoroughly enjoyed so all in Id say go to that rather than the bar if your hungry.

The staff all seemed nice enough a few could have cracked a smile but tbh I feel they have all been let down by management and lack of training. There was however a lovely women on at breakfast with blonde hair and either a South African or Australian accent, she was by far the best member of staff in that hotel nothing was a problem and went out of her way to ensure everyone was happy ...if only they were all like that.

Good points:

Big tv
Nice view looking over airport to watch the planes
fridge
Air Con
Nice Bathroom
Everything new
Rooms were quiet...although this could have been as there wasn't many guests
Booths at the bar eat and watch TV

Bad points:

Staff completely useless
Sheets on bed are rough!
£50 a day charge to your card ...for no reason
Food is not so good for dinner
Lack of choice for drink and food

All in....I wouldn't stay here again mainly because the boyfriend refuses, I myself probably would if I had to for one night if I was flying from Aberdeen and it was the cheapest hotel but that said I think id prefer to go across the road to the Premiere Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Airport better view than a car park and its enjoyable watching the pl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardManager1, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel. As a new hotel, it’s always nice to get good feedback, and we do take on board your point regarding our Food and Beverage offerings.
Regards
Blyth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I arrived at the Courtyard and thought this looks like a great hotel and it also has the name Marriott under the hotel name to which i then thought would be a brilliant hotel.

On arrival at reception the staff were polite and very helpful, i checked in and received my key card for the room which was room 402. I entered the room to find the carpet was badly stained which was surprising as the hotel is new, the rest of the room was brill with very comfy beds.

The evening meal and the way you have to order it is a complete joke. First you go to the counter & tell the staff member what you would like to eat, she then proceeds to charge you for the meal which you pay for there and then, she then gives you a small s/s pole to which a numbered card is inserted, then you have to collect your cutlery and then find a seat so you can enjoy your meal. Well i went for the stake & ale pie with patatoe's, carrots & gravy. Let me just say the carrots were still raw the patatoe's were half cooked and the pie was hard and rubbery as though it was microwaved, the only thing that was passable was the gravy, all in all a very poor attempt by the so called chef.

Well what can i say, breakfast came and this time you help yourself. I decided i would have a full English fry up, LOL their idea of a full cooked breakfast was this, ( scrambled eggs, sausages & bacon ) that was it. I spoke to this i presume was a manager and said is this what you call a cooked breakfast and he replied can you tell me what is missing in your opinion from the cooked breakfast. I was completely gobsmacked, i then told him yes i can it's this ( fried egg, plum tomato's, black pudding, hash browns, mushrooms & beans.

He then took note of all this and replied, (we are considering putting beans on the menu)
CONSIDERING?????????

All i can honestly say going by my experience is if are going to travel to Aberdeen and want a good evening meal and a good full English breakfast then pick a different hotel as you will not receive this here. One other thing, in the room you get the usual tea bags coffee sachets etc,
i only had 2 of those little UHT milk tubs and when i went to reception and asked for a couple more tea bags and UHT milk i was bluntly told no you get what is allocated in your room each day.

I will never stay at this hotel again ( very very poor show )

An unhappy guest

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor
It’s extremely disappointing to learn that your experience at our new hotel did not meet your expectations. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies, and also assure you that we take all feedback seriously, and clearly, we have not delivered on this occasion, but be assured that as a new hotel, we are working hard to get it right!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before going offshore, first impression is the rooms are nice and clean and staff friendly.

The downsides are no shuttle bus to the airport or heliports, seems to take an age to checkin, the restaurant has possibly the smallest selection of food on offer I've ever seen. The food was ok but nothing compared to the Marriott round the corner.
The bar only has two pumps, bother lager, becks or Stella.

It looks as though this has been built to serve offshore workers who are just passing through.

Would stay again but go to the Speedbird or Thistle for food.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to read that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations, and we certainly take on board your comments with regards to staff training and food and beverage. As a new hotel, we don't always get it right, but be assured we are working hard to improve all aspects of our operation, so we can deliver a genuinely positive experience for our guests
Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back soon

Been to Courtyard Aberdeen Airport? Share your experiences!