“The Altens Thistle.” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sevenoaks
“The Altens Thistle.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Very expensive room, small and pokey, definitely not an Executive room as booked. Cost £235 for single occupancy room only.

The hotel was full of oil workers presumably on deals so the bar was noisy like a pub.

Taxi required to visit town for dinner, so count on £10 each way.

Not recommened.

• Stayed November 2012
Thistlehotels, Manager at Thistle Aberdeen Altens, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear mjw44,

Thank you for your feedback, I was sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and the Thistle brand. Please contact me directly should you plan another trip to Aberdeen and I will personally oversee your arrangements to ensure you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great service from the minute I walked into the hotel. Reception team friendly and helped with any questions I had as it was my first time in Aberdeen, food was of a good standard, and lots to choose from. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen Altens, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Lauren M,

Thanks for the great review! I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your comments are passed to the team and we all hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Den Helder, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We chose this hotel only because other hotels of that category in Aberdeen at that time were twice as expensive. We did not regret it!!

(+) nicely renovated
(+) free upgrade to executive suite which was enormous
(+) clean
(+) great choice of meals, although a bit pricey
(+) check-out took less than 20 seconds

(-) outside could do with a lick of paint
(-) you need a car to get around
(-) roomservice meals were only lukewarm

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sneeuwballetje,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was pleased to see you enjoyed your room and approve of the renovations we have made.

I have noted your comments regarding room service and will follow up with the team.

Myself and the team look forward to seeing you again, next time you are in Aberdeen

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

on arrivel at the hotel and getting checked in all good, get to room to find no heating on, and in scotland in november, you better believe its cold, put the heating on and it took about half hour to heat up, and even the the heat was all at head high, the bathroom was very cold also, could not stand on the floor with bare feet, needed a towel down on the floor, but the room was very clean, and breakfast was lovely,

Room Tip: dont take a room on the ground floor, cold
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen Altens, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear shirleylaing,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. It's good to hear you found the room to be clean and breakfast lovely but I was very concerned to hear your room was cold. We normally pre-heat the rooms so they are nice and cosy for arrival but having checked your booking it would appear reception gave you a complimentary upgrade to an Executive Room but forgot to tell the housekeeping team, so they didn't pre-heat this particular room. I can only apologise for any inconvenience this caused you, but please be assured your feedback has been shared with the team to ensure all rooms are nice and warm for our guests arrivals

bute
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for a conference. Rooms were lovely, huge and very clean. Pool was lovely. Staff very friendly and accomodating. Food was good. Breakfast lovely, lunch mmmm Did not like but restaurant manager noticed I was not eating and asked if the kitchen could make me something else. They produced a lovely chicken sandwich on a platter. i was really pleased. Being an awkward eater (dietry problems) they even substituted the set menu for my evening meal.
If going back to Aberdeen, I would definately stay here.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are huge.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear mgtbute,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for your kind comments. I'm so pleased the team took good care of you and ensured you had a great weekend with us.

Hopefully we'll get to welcome you back in the near future

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here go one night as part of a advertised Halloween party. Our whole party really enjoyed their stay and were particulary impressed with the size of rooms, cleanliness and value for money. Really enjoyed our stay and looking forward to their next themed event.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear scotmccall,

Thanks for the great review, I'm delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our Halloween Ball, and were impressed with our bedrooms! I will share your kind comments with the team and we all hope to see you at one of our other events!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Totally ignored at check in and finally met by over stressed receptionist. All the staff need to learn customer service, smile, be polite and have manners! the chef needs to learn to cook! They also need to learn the menu because what you are ordering is not what you are getting! Ordered rose wine one night, got disgusting white instead, ordered small rose next night and was charged for a medium, found half baked, half piece of garlic with peel in my caesar salad with boiled eggs which were not advertised! was told to get off the treadmill and sign in and fill in form by a grumpy bored teenager sat behind a desk in the spa. he saw me coming in, so why didn't he welcome me and explain to me the procedure first instead of yanking off the treadmill to sign in? was given french fries when the menu stated chunky chips, was given plain mayo when the menu stated lemon mayo with peppercorns!!! I will be ordering out or going to the Wellington's tomorrow night and eating out in town for my last night. I will be complaining to my company when I get back as they booked me in this so called 4 star hell hole. My colleague ordered the same as me and was up all night vomiting, the next night she ordered some tuna thing and it was dried and overcooked like a "flip flop" as she called it, then she ordered the curry and when she opened her mouth to complain, the waitress finished her sentence that the beef was not beef just fat, the pilau rice was mashed up and the sauce stank badly...has this happened before?? Then the manager wanted to speak to my colleague, came out of kitchen with a portion of french fries and told her "there, that's more to your taste"!!! Get a grip people, you are all in the wrong job! Oh and the rusty dusty gym is a health hazard and a lawsuit waiting to happen! WHAT A SHAMBLES!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dee910,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we welcome all feedback, even if it does make for difficult reading.

I have already met you in person and dealt with the issues you raised and I hope if you visit us again you will see that these issues are not the norm.

Operations Manager

Been to Thistle Aberdeen Altens? Share your experiences!