“A few hiccups, but still one of our favorite places.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcliffe at Pitfodels

Save Saved
You added The Marcliffe at Pitfodels to your Saves list
The Marcliffe at Pitfodels
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   North Deeside Rd | Pitfodels, Aberdeen AB1 9YA, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 61 hotels in Aberdeen
Houston, Texas
“A few hiccups, but still one of our favorite places.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week in August as a base for part of a month's driving tour in the UK. Lovely property, very nice large rooms. We liked the dining experience so much we ate there every night which is extremely unusual for us. My husband has celiac and we were very happy with the gluten-free offerings for breakfast, tea and dinner. Nice to have a scone rather than the usual GF biscuits. We always carry tons of that stuff with us. Biscuits and fresh fruit in room every day and it was a nice enough room that you would be happy enough sitting at a table looking out the window and having an afternoon cup of tea. Plenty of parking, good location for exploring castles since you don't have to fight your way out of town. Bar has really outstanding cocktails, and before dinner we would have a cocktail in the drawing room and Iain the mait're d would go over the menu and let us know about any specials and go over what could be done gluten-free. One of the young fellows (sorry I didn't know his name) always knew us after the first day and would make sure we had a spot and that my husband had gluten-free tea things. Very good food every night. Stephen the wine steward was also very good. Another standout in the dining room was a young fellow named Craig who was very helpful and anticipated needs.Very good breakfast with cold buffet and then cooked to order. The ladies waiting at breakfast were most helpful. The hotel arranged for tee times for my husband and for fly-fishing equipment and fishing for both of us on a fantastic beat. I would definitely stay here again. Several areas for improvement. When we were arranging things before our trip, communication was spotty - we would send e-mails and then never hear back. For instance, I e-mailed that when my husband was playing golf one day I wanted to have some treatments at the spa and how could I book. I never heard back, and when we got there the time I wanted was booked up. Housekeeping was also a problem - room was very clean, but they sometimes came very late in the afternoon when we had come back from our day out and wanted to relax in our rooms. Other problem was not replacing toiletries and toilet paper. We came back from fishing soaked and I wanted a hot shower. We had been low on the shower gel the day before so I assumed they would leave more. No soap. I called the desk and told them my plight. I waited in my robe for a half hour and then called them back before they finally sent someone with soap so I could wash. The last night they took the empty toilet paper roll off and didn't replace it. This is far too good a hotel for these errors. One night Iain was off and it was very busy and we were at a table that was a bit exposed. After having the young waitstaff bump the back of my chair eight times (never with a "pardon me") I finally moved my chair to the other side of the table next to my husband. The bearded gentleman who seemed to be in charge never even asked why I moved or if he could help. Pretty much ruined my meal. Last suggestion is that there is not much place to sit in a common area if you want to read, but not in your room. The drawing room is too busy at virtually any time, even the morning when ladies come in to coffee, and the lobby is too hectic. They really need a library or quiet spot to relax. All suggestions/complaints given, we still loved the Marcliffe and would stay again and recommend it to our friends.

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Had high tea last saturday afternoon for my sister's 40th. I booked it 8 weeks in advance and advised i had a wheat & dairy intolerance I was told it would not be problem I just wouldn't get such nice cakes as everyone else!!! having dined here before i am well aware that they tend to use fruit as a dairy free dessert option but as i had not been in over a year i had hoped they would have made some effort to cater for guests like me. I asked for proper biscuits to be supplied (any supermarket stocks a wide range). Iconfirmed the booking on the a few days before and was told they i had a note tht i did not want to be "panned off" with fruit not quite the sevice i expect form 5 star staff. we turned up and sandwhiches were duly ordered (took too long to arrive) I got a chicken sandwhich which was not cut into quarters like everyone else hadand the crust was still on so not daintylike everyone else had. they then came with the cakes and i was presented witha scone, shot glass of strawberry's & a berry eton mess in another shot glass basically FRUIT! i hadnded the waiter 3 biscuits i had taken with me and advised i would prefer these. I really think it is time that chef's take food intolerances seriously & cater for them to a better standard. Although i was not chaged for my high tea (we asked for a discount as i had provided most of the food i ate) i would far rather pay & receive food to the same standard as everyone else. Very poor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our Spa treatments were so relaxing and carried out expertly by caring and professional staff.
Our hotel room was immaculate and extremely comfortable with everything we needed for our stay.Hotel staff were always very helpful and polite.
The restaurant food is really second to none and with service to match.
We had a perfect stayover.Many thanks to all staff and management..

Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

The marcliffe was a bit of a disappointment as we were expecting something different.
The hotel is situated in a nice neighborhood of Aberdeen. It is not close to the center.
The rooms are elegant and clean, so are the bathrooms.
The staff was ok. Not rude but not very caring. They seemed a bit distracted when doing their work.
We were very disappointed by the dinner we had ordered to our room. Especially from a hotel that is known for its gourmet restaurant. We had ordered a very simple burger and yet it was not edible. I have no idea how you can mess up a burger.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I went there for a special night at the restaurant, our first thought was this is going to cost us a fortune ( I will say more on that later ! ), when we first arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a friendly member of staff whom asked if we were eating there tonight ( nice touch ) he then put us in the right direction so as we did not look silly looking for the restaurant,the attention to detail took me right back to my youth when people new how to look after a client and the FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING as was the staff. when we got the bill we expected it to be rather large but on comparison to an average restaurant it was only about 10% dearer and for a 5 star place that was fantastic news for us. WE WILL EAT THERE AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a junior suite. It is quietly located on the outskirts of Aberdeen, with plenty of parking, but the City Centre is easily accessible.

Our junior suite was spacious, comfortable, bright and well decorated with an excellent bathroom.

Food at both dinner and breakfast is excellent - loved the Eggs Benedict. The Dinner Bed and Breakfast deal is very good value, as we were told you could choose anything off the a la carte menu - even a whole lobster (which I had one night) or a shell fish platter. The restaurant has an excellent Maitre d' in Iain Milne - very welcoming and efficient - and the other bar and restaurant staff looked after us very well too.

The only negative was that, despite 2 requests to Reception and after waiting over 10 minutes, we gave up waiting for someone to collect our luggage on checking out. Otherwise, the Marcliffe was truly excellent. We would definitely stay there again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was our second visit to Marcliffe in 3 years and the property did not disappoint. Our room was lovely and well appointed. There were two weddings at the hotel on the day that we arrived and so the bar area was very crowded but they did clear it by 6 so guests could have cocktails.

Our only real issues were with the restaurant. Our room included dinner and no one bothered to explain what was included in that dinner vs. what was an extra to pay for. We just assumed only the regular menu was included. It wasn't until after our first dinner that we asked for an explanation of what was included (which was everything). Then when we checked out, we were actually charged for the "upcharges" on our second dinner until we pointed out that we were told there were no upcharges and the bill was immediately adjusted. Our travel companions had checked out before we did and didn't realize that they were being charged upcharges for the prior nights meal also so they had to go back in and get the adjustment - after I told them what happened to us. Not insignificant as it amounted to about $200 per check. Our advice is that if dinner is included in your room, do not be shy about asking what exactly is included in that - no one volunteers the information. The Russian red crab while good, was not nearly as good as it was our first trip - it was a pile of broken leg pieces that were a bit overcooked. Service at dinner on Saturday was fairly slow, though the night before had flawless.

All of tha

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Marcliffe at Pitfodels? Share your experiences!