“Great front of house and reception but bar staff in serious need of training” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Chester Hotel

You added The Chester Hotel to your Saves list
The Chester Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59-63 Queens Road, Aberdeen AB15 4YP, Scotland (Formerly Simpson's Hotel)   |
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“Great front of house and reception but bar staff in serious need of training”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Only stayed 1 night , happy with room although quite small for a grand double. Efficient and friendly check in . Disappointed with the residents bar which was two thirds occupied by groups of non residents having afternoon teas . Bar staff had difficulty understanding the order for a gin and slim line tonic and produced a gin and lime and initially said they didn't stock slim line tonic.
The main bar was also very disappointing and completely lacking in atmosphere for pre dinner drinks. Large central table occupied by large group and no other available tables apart from extremely dark ( black ) booths . We went next door to Malmaison for drinks , more atmosphere and staff who could make a cocktail without instructions.
Gave the residents bar another try for a night cap and very dour bar lady asked us from behind the bar " do you want a drink ? " , would have been nice if she had walked over to where we were sitting to take our order. Then further confusion over Glenlivet and Glenfiddich .

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel was a last minute choice for an overnight stay. It has a modern decor which is tasteful and attractive. The very comfortable room had a lovely big bed and nice bedding. The bar meal we had was very good, lovely crispy, light batter on the haddock and tasty smoked cod. All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful. We even got our room changed because we could hear the people next door speaking (it was a connecting room).
A couple of negative points though, the bar was cold, it seemed that the heating was off because the sun was shining (this was Aberdeen in the middle of April, sunshine does not equal heat). Also at breakfast although the food was hot, the plates were stone cold which made the food cool down quickly.
Finally, I am not convinced that the abundance of 'John Byrne' pictures added to the general ambience. I was told they were a bit like 'Marmite', you either love them or hate them. I did find the self portrait in the bedroom rather disconcerting.
Although there were areas which could be improved I would stay here again, especially if the bargain price was repeated.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Alistair_Unicomb, Operations Manager at The Chester Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear hjoanc2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel, and the stay that you experienced. Big modern rooms, good food and friendly staff. Everything that the team at the hotel are striving to deliver to every guest that walks in our doors.

Not everything was 100% though, for which I apologise. Cold plates with hot food really is not going to work. Our restaurant team will fix that, and we will better control our bar temperatures. As you say, sunny outside does not always mean warm. Being in Scotland though, we sometimes forget what the sun is. We have open fires in the bar, and will ensure they are used for the comfort of our guests.

Our John Byrne art work collection is extensive. I regret it was not to your taste, however we are very proud to support this artist and have his work on display. As with any art though, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When you are staying again, best contact the hotel direct for a great price. We always welcome back repeat guests and I look forward to seeing you in the hotel again soon.

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First visit to Aberdeen Chester, as Edinburgh Chester being one of our favourite hotels, so this visit was going to have to match their high standards, we were not disappointed. Friendly welcome from reception staff, shown to our room by a really nice young lad, (sorry I have forgotten your name), wearing a kilt which is always a luvly touch, offered to be shown the rooms facilites, how to use coffee maker, tv etc, a nice touch, a luvly spacious room, huge comfy bed, as you enter the room their is a small vestibule type area between the bathroom door and the bedroom, which houses a wardrobe style unit, where you have a small fridge, hanging space, and shelving, plenty of storage room, huge bathroom with the obligitory smellies, and fluffy towels. The room was also cleaned daily to a very high standard during our stay. Had drinks next door in one of the booths next to the bar which houses a small tv, where they have a menu for bar food or try the restaurant which was busy on a Sunday afternoon, breakfast in the restaurant was good buffet style for cereal juice etc, then ordered poached egg and bacon, but 3 eggs was too much for me !! but still delicious, staff very attentive, sat and watched the chef working. I booked to have my nails done, a luvly young lady did a great job, she was very professional , friendly and chatty, my only comment is, I was not impressed by the Leighton Denny polish she used, I have my nails done regulary with another brand, and I just thought it was not of the same quality but thats only my opinion. Chester you are as good as Edinburgh with the added bonus of a bar, restuarant and Spa, well done all, we will be back :)

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Alistair_Unicomb, Operations Manager at The Chester Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Scotlandtigger,

With the Edinburgh Residence as the bench mark, we are always having to work very hard! And after reading the review you have written it fills me with great confidence.

It is good to read that you experienced everything the hotel has to offer. Great food offerings, fantastic rooms with lots of space, and our Spa. I will pass on the comments regarding the products used for doing nails. We always ensure that we are using the best products available, and greatly appreciate the honest feedback.

I have no doubt that we will see you again in Aberdeen!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Blandly stylish decor , blandly pleasant staff , blandly okay afternoon tea with slightly stale bread sandwiches and over sweet cakes

Room decor bit on the masculine side and hotel geared to Oli execs on stop overs
All in all left feeling underwhelmed by everything

Room way to warm and stuffy

Staff mixture of OTT and slightly messy .

Found it personality- less , as a place to stay , not for those looking for authentic class with a friendlier touch .

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay more.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Mhairi,

Thank you for sharing your opinion of the hotel. I regret you found what we had on offer 'bland'. Clearly this is not our intention, but to please everyone in hospitality is always tricky. I am glad though that you did not find the service or food offerings to be poor in anyway.

I am unsure how to comment on your opinions regarding our staff. We do have a good variety of personalities within the team, and I am glad you did not find them 'bland' as you did the other aspects of the hotel.

There are many hotels in Aberdeen, and I trust you will try them out in order to find the correct product that suits your personal taster.

aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is an excellent choice of hotel if you want a bit of luxury. The hotel is beautiful the rooms are great very very clean and all the small touches like coffe machine and smart tv made this a great place to relax. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The only disappointed was the breakfast coffee was cold and toast was cold and hard the cooked breakfast was not that great as they didn't have everything on menu.

Room Tip: Any room all excellent
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Bennetts,

It sounds like our bedrooms really hit the mark. During our refurbishment we made sure to invest in only the best facilities for our guests. As you said, smart TV, coffee machines are all great modern facilities to be enjoyed.

I am sorry that our breakfast offerings did not match with the rest of your stay. All feedback is taken on board, and our kitchen team will work hard to bring this service element up to the standard of the rest of the hotel.

Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My stay at the hotel could not of been any better, standards throughout the hotel are high, great rooms, unbelievable quality of food especially breakfast!, nice restaurant.
I want to mention the staff - these guys left a great impression on me, from receptionists, waiters to cleaners these guys were brilliant, I can see that everyone is on board with offering a passionate, perfect level of customer service. I believe this flows down from a great management team. Ordered room service to try the burger and that meal completed my weekend.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Clint,

You have provided the highest praise possible to the hotel, and the team that work in it. Truly, thank you so much for sharing it on Tripadvisor for the world to see.

Throughout the hotel, focus is given to the guest experience and how best to deliver it. We invest a lot of time in training, and review like this prove that it has worked.

The burger. I have had one myself, and they are out of this world. I still cannot decide if it is the relish that the kitchen have created, or the burger meat that is used. Maybe its the combination. I am sure we will see you again in the near future!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited the Chester Hotel few months ago when I went with the Fiance for a Sunday Breakfast. Both of us work in the hotel industry and I have to say that the location was absolutely of my taste. I have been in the hotel prior refurbishment and now the furniture and the style is absolutely gorgeous. Food was well cooked and well presented and we had overall a pleaseant time. On the negative side, I think that the quality of service can be improved, staff was friendly but nobody came and check if we were ok with the meal or smiled throughout!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Gloria,

Receiving such high praise from another member of the industry is very satisfying to both myself and the team at the hotel. I am so glad you like the changes that have been made to the hotel, and the quality of the product we have on offer at breakfast. I would encourage you to come back in order to try dining on the IX Restaurant, or perhaps a cocktail in the bar.

I apologise for our food service team not checking back while you ate. It is a service standard, and one that is perhaps not happening consistently enough. I am sure once I raise this with the team they will make an improvement. I hope I will also be able to remind them that a smile costs nothing and adds to the guest experience.

Once again thank you, and I hope you visit us again.

Alistair and the team at the Chester Hotel

Been to The Chester Hotel? Share your experiences!