“Not 5 star, or close” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
scotland
“Not 5 star, or close”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

A real missed opportunity to be an excellent eatery. Having had a very disappointing meal at the chester some time ago I wrote a very friendly letter suggesting improvements however, the letter was not acknowledged. I should be surprised but given the management style and service in-house, I'm not.

Service is poor and particularly casual given the self proclaimed high standards at the venue. I then visited the bar for lunch; food is good but overpriced; not one new glass was provided despite 3 bottles of wine being served at our table; staff were not attentive (although we were in a booth off the corridor to the main restaurant so they could see us-terrible design concept) and one member of staff literally threw an item across the table rather than place it where it was suppose to go.......bizarre. So, 7 months on form my first particularity poor experience in the main restaurant, nothing has improved. Such a shame.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First stay at The Chester and will definitely be back. Room was modern and immaculate throughout. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Hadn't looked at this hotel before thinking it would be vastly overpriced but I got an excellent deal including breakfast and in comparison to Malmaison next door (which was more expensive) I think the rooms at the Chester are much better and overall better value. Malmaison wasn't as clean, room was tired and felt far too dark.

The internal access to the Chester restaurant is a bit confusing unless you go outside and back in the main door but not a major issue. Food was excellent. Also used the IX Beauty spa and was delighted with the service.

Only slight issue was a chilly room (as a previous reviewer stated) that took a while to heat up. Also quite a bit of noise carrying from the next door room (there was an adjoining door so think that was the main problem). Could hear every word of my neighbour on the phone and moving around, they weren't being overly loud but it was a bit annoying. Next stay I would ask for a room without the connecting door.

Overall very happy with my stay and will be back.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Aberdeen, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

2nd visit to The Chester and was slightly disappointed. There was 6 in our party and to start we ordered 1 bottle of wine. I tasted the wine and then the member of staff proceeded to pour wine into the glasses without asking how many were drinking wine and by the time she came back to me the wine was finished. She proceeded to say that 1 bottle would not provide enough wine for 6 people and asked if we wanted another bottle of wine and without wanting to create a fuss I agreed with her. However 10 minutes later she returned and apologised for her mistake and the second bottle was free of charge. With regard to the food the starters seemed smaller than before and not very well presented, no garnish or presentation just put onto a plate and served. 4 members of our party had the steaks and although they were good 3 of us commented that they were slightly over-seasoned and one was not cooked to preference. Overall disappointed with the food and won’t be rushing back.

Forres, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I wasn't aware of the The Chester Hotel at all, not being too familiar with Aberdeen. This was booked by my company, but i will definitely stay again.
Check-in was easy and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. My room was excellent and the en-suite had a cracking shower with a rainfall head. Bliss.
The hotel all has easy access to the shopping and entertainment in the city centre. 30 minute walk if you're up for it or 10 minutes by cab.
The food at the function i was attending, breakfast and room service were beautifully presented and thoroughly enjoyable.
I'd recommend this hotel to any of my colleagues or friends.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Loved this hotel. Stayed over with friends. Check in was smooth, our rooms were top class. We decided to stay in the hotel to eat and enjoyed some great food in the bar. Had a fantastic nights sleep in their luxury beds and ended it all with a wonderful breakfast. Staff were so friendly and It really worked for us, we'll be back for sure. Very Classy!

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've not stayed here before but couldn't see a link to post a review of the restaurant which is what this is. Their restaurant is a lovely new addition to Aberdeen's dining scene. My husband brought me here for my birthday dinner. The food was excellent. I had langoustines (see pic uploaded). Just as a side note friends who have visited the spa also enjoyed it.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Fochabers, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The stay was pleasant enough, and because the hotel was nearly empty we got a good deal. We would have preferred to stay at the Malmaison, which is next door, but that was fully booked, that speaks volumes. The hotel is well presented with great John Byrne artwork hung around the hotel. Dinner was acceptable but nothing great. After dinner coffee was returned due to lack of coffee in the decaff. The staff tried very hard, to the point where their over attention made me squirm.
After I left they were less helpfull. I left my tablet charger which I reported immeadiately, this could not be located, even though I knew exactly where I left it and directed them to it. They are either sticky fingered or couldn't be bothered, I suspect the latter.

Room Tip: Go bigger if you can