“Over-priced, over-rated” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Over-priced, over-rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I recently stayed here on a business trip and picked this hotel for its proximity to the Kirkhill Industrial site. However, I wish I'd picked a hotel in the city centre instead and travelled out every day. The hotel is dated, bland and quite a depressing place to be 'stuck'. My room was either too hold or too cold due to the air heating system, which didn't respond well to my attempts at temperature regulation and made an annoying whirring noise all night. The internet connection was super slow, despite being advertised as high speed broadband (this was with ethernet connection too, not wifi). I couldn't even send a 3MB email (which sent in 2 seconds when I returned home). On top of all this, the price was outrageous - £200 a night plus £15 a day for internet and £20 a day for breakfast! I guess they get away with this extortionate price due to mainly business clientele. The only saving grace was the evening meal in the restaurant which was very good, even if the atmosphere left something to be desired. I'm not normally a fussy customer, however on this occasion I felt I needed to air my complaints. In future, I would stay at a hotel in the city centre, for half the price and with better quality accomodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Modern, clean, quiet, with air conditioning . . . everything you'd want in an airport hotel. Good shuttle service to the Aberdeen airport as well. The rooms are really pretty top notch. The exercise/gym facility is also pretty nice with modern equipment.

The restaurant (which doesn't open for dinner until 6:30 pm) is marginal, at best. My wife and I had one of their dinner specials (pork cutlet), and it was darn near uneatable. I'd recommend eating in the bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Needed to catch up with a friend and the Marriott was a logical place, distance wise and somewhere were I could buy her lunch. Chose not to eat in the restaurant so sat on the leather sofas near the roaring fire, but not too near as curl up and go to sleep! I ordered drinks at the bar who offered to open a tab so I could add lunch etc. Very nice staff, including a 'new girl'. Ordered lunch, just sandwiches, and coffees later. Excellent, large cappuccinos! One of the sandwiches chicken and crispy pancetta, with side of vegetable crisps and crisp french fries, was fine. Mine, the Marriott club sandwich was HUGE! Two large sandwiches covered in crisps - far too much or my friend and I could have had it between us. It was a huge price too so really would have been better for two people. As we had a lot to talk about we stayed much longer than we planned and the staff brought us the bill when checking that we had all that we needed. Comfortable space just to stay and chat in, no pressure to leave or keep eating/drinking. Would use again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was a little weary about staying here given all recent reviews but have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. Location was great for me as it was near the office and near the airport. Customer service was excellent the minute I arrived with the check-in desk staff very polite and helpful. My exec room was large, clean and comfortable and breakfast the next morning was hot and tasty.

There was even a free shuttle to take me to work the next morning!

The downsides were:
1. No lift. I'm surprised a hotel like this does not have a lift but I was offered help by the porter

2. The exec lounge was small, no atmosphere and food horrible! More effort is needed here!!!

3. Breakfast was ample and included some hot items but I did notice an egg station and I was shocked to see that cost even extra!!! It's expensive enough (and a rip off) paying for breakfast in the first place and £270 for an exec room only to see extra charges for a custom made omelette. 4 star plus hotels around the world include this as standard breakfast, it should no different here

• Stayed September 2012
Dingwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Lovely hotel with plenty of (free) parking, ideal for travelling in and out of Aberdeen by car. Pool was clean and quiet during our visit. Our double room was very spacious with two king size beds. We didn't have breakfast on this occasion but previously has been very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room beside the pool if you are going to use it, you can just go out of your room and stra...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

In my opinion this hotel is expensive (for what it has to offer). Although the quality is good, the price of meals and drinks is quite high, and to top it all - they charge a hefty levy for use of the internet (which, in fairness I should point out, they removed from my bill when I expressed an objection). Incidentally, if your business is with BP, then great - it's just across the road - otherwise it may be worth looking elsewhere for better value.
When I stayed (for 2 nights), the gym was closed for renovations - although the pool and sauna were available. The room was fine but I noted the noise from the airport at an ungodly hour on both nights; like many hotels, the best point was the staff, who were pleasant, helpful and welcoming.
Shall I stay there again? Undoubtedly, but only for a couple of nights at a time and as long as I don't have to pay for internet usage

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the airport. Sometimes there are helicopters being serviced...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Northumberland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Aberdeen Marriott is located in Dyce near the airport reather in the City centre. Howver the adavntage of this is that it is easy to get into town - a short drive and parking at the hotel is free.
The hotel itself is a 2 storey building which looks quite bland from the outside, however once you are through the doors it has the feel and look of a quality hotel. The lobby, bar and part of the restaurant look mock-baronial in style. As always at a Marriott, the rooms are spacious and well equipped with 32in flatscreen and a very very comfortable bed. The bathroom was quite small but was also well equipped and clean. The shower was excellent. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and the service and the food were great. Indeed all staff were friendly and welcoming.
The weekend rates can be very low - around £60 which makes the Marriott an excellent choice for a weekend break in Aberdeen.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Aberdeen Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!