“Absolutely brilliant. And a lifesaver.” 5 of 5 stars

Wellington Hotel
Wellington Road, Aberdeen AB12 3GH, Scotland   |
Ranked #38 of 97 Aberdeen B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant. And a lifesaver.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was originally booked into the Thistle Caledonian for 2nights. At 11.30pm a noise started above my bathroom that was so loud it shook the walls. The staff were slow to respond and by 12.30am I'd had enough as the hotel was fully booked so they couldn't move me, and I certainly couldn't sleep (even with the earplugs they'd given me!). So I started ringing around to move that night. 21 hotels later (it was a Wednesday and the weather was atrocious so the choppers weren't moving to take the guys out to the rigs so everywhere was full) Frank at the Wellington said he had one room left for that night. He was so nice. So I didn't hesitate and said I'd be there within half an hour. I then took a look at some pics and thought it might not be the best I've ever stayed in but didn't think I had a choice.

Having checked out from the Thistle with them insisting on charging me for the 10mins I spent in bed £138 (!!!!) I jumped in a taxi in below zero temperatures with all my bags and went to the Wellington. Frank greeted me and insisted on carrying my bags in, didn't muck around with formalities and forms and all that as I'd clearly had a time of it and just got the key, took me to my room, told me what I needed and then left me alone to settle. Very nice room indeed. Very comfy bed, pillows and towels. Immaculate decor, very good tv MUCH better than the Caledonians. Great shower, tea etc available in the room. So I finally got some sleep, very happily.

The next morning I slept a little later to try to catch up and at 8.30 was ready to go. One of the hotel staff (all very friendly by the way) knocked on my door and asked if I'd managed to have breakfast... I said no as I had to rush to work and she was so lovely as she'd found out I'd arrived so late and insisted on packing me up a breakfast to have on the way. A delicious bacon roll! So I made sure my booking for the second night was confirmed.

Anyway. I could go on. They were lovely, the hotel was great. OK it's not right in the centre of Aberdeen. Ok so my window view wasn't of the amazing countryside or anything but their hospitality, the rooms, and overall their kindness would absolutely make me go back.

Aberdeen have a captive audience with all the oil guys so consequently often their customer service is less than it should be... Why should they bother... They always have customers...

The Wellington breaks the mould. Thank you. You're doing a fantastic job.

KB

Room Tip: I was in room 3 and it was great but from what I can see, they're all pretty much the same.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WellingtonMgr, General Manager at Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. Frank is a valued employee and very important to our hotel. I am sure he will be very pleased to hear such great comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
aberdeen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Biggest mistake this restaurant has made is to remove the family childrens area, on asking a waitress why.? We were told changing it to a conference room makes more them more money!,, I for sure will not return it used to be nice to have a family meal with something for the children to do
Poor poor poor, pity they had a niche market not very many real family friendly eateries in aberdeen then again the pound speaks volumes doesn't it!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I will be looking in to doing more for the kids. We still consider our hotel, very much family friendly and hope you visit us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great value for money, modern decor, fabulous breakfasts and the evening meals in the restaurant were very good quality at reasonable prices. Staff were friendly. Rooms were clean and tidy with a flat screen tv. Look forward to going back again.

• Stayed March 2013
WellingtonMgr, General Manager at Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we now have a new spring/summer menu with some great offers. Many new dishes to try, and some new additions to the 2 courses for £9.95 section. We hope to see you again soon.
Livingston, West Lothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night at the start of February - I was attending a birthday party in the Aberdeen Harbour area so this hotel was conveniently located. We booked a good rate through booking.com.

The hotel exterior is not much to look at but the interior is lovely. Our room was compact but had everything we needed for a one night stay. It was spotless and modern and the bed was very comfortable. The onsite restaurant was convenient and offered standard pub grub at reasonable prices. Our breakfast the next morning was very good with plenty of selection.

Overall a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

went for a birthday dinner, adults only, got seats in the snugg, to witch was very nice, but,,, oh yes their is a but,, it was very cold, they even had the air con on,,service was very nice and very quick, FOOD WAS THE BEST BIT OF OUR VISIT, 100% HAPPY WITH WHO EVER IS THE CHEF, STARTER, MAIN, AND PUDDING, LOVELY. THANKS TO THE CHEF,,
Coffee's had t go back as they were cold, will be back soon, thanks

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, I am sure the kitchen team will be glad to hear your comments.
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights 18th / 19th January 2013, a KGB deal our room was comfortable,clean and nice and cosy which was very welcoming after driving through a blizzard to get there, The staff were very nice so polite,friendly and helpful.The breakfast was good you helped yourself to cereal, yogurt,toast and what have you and ordered your cooked breakfast and we were asked was it enough asked if we wanted more. We ate in the hotel at night it was very reasonable you could have 2 meals for £10 the food was very nice and you could sit in a booth with a little flat screen TV fixed to the wall. The local bus to town (no 3) stopped right outside the hotel.We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Portimao, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had the most comfortable bed ever and did not want to get up in the morning, very cosy, the room was warm & clean, breakfast was in the restaurant which was lovely, all staff were very nice but in particular the maids, so friendly & helpful a credit to the hotel with their welcoming smiles.

Room Tip: This may seem like a standard hotel but walk inside & the character shines through, clean, frien...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!