“Not as bad on the inside” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Dyce

You added Menzies Dyce to your Saves list
Menzies Dyce
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Farburn Terrace, Aberdeen AB21 7DW, Scotland (Formerly Thistle Dyce Skean Dhu)   |
Ranked #49 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not as bad on the inside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We took advantage of the bargain B+B plus dinner deal over the May long weekend. Whilst it was a bargain - on arrival we were horribly dismayed by the outside! Looked like a 70s motel where you would imagine a police hold-up involving hostages. The bar is called the 'But n Ben bar'. This place desperately needs a makeover.
Thankfully once you get into the reception area it is much nicer. Our room had a huge bed, couch, TV etc. It was a quiet room - although stinking hot overnight. Bathroom a bit shabby but acceptable.
Dinner was nicely cooked - recommend the lamb shoulder.
Breakfast had a good selection of everything. Staff friendly and helpful, esp the bustling manager.
It is somewhere to sleep - and we were satisfied with our end of the deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments, I tried contacting you to discuss further.

I appreciate your comments regarding food and service and I am happy to report that we have never had a hostage situation in the bar!

I hope you will consider us in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I took advantage of the reduced tariff for B&B for those attending a recent Sportsmans Dinner. Check-in was swift with a very pleasant member of staff, the room was excellent and the breakfast the morning after was great. Nice work and a nice deal associated with attending the function. Oh and the staff did a good job wining and dining us at the function too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I hope we will see you again soon
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

A nice comfortable hotel, but beware of the room service...........
I ordered cheese and pickle sandwiches because when I arrived the restaurant was closed, and when the room server arrived he demanded cash for the food,and not having any on me I had to go to reception and pay straight away, which was inconvenient to say the least.
When I left the next morning I was presented a bill for the sandwiches I had paid for the night before, so I question the integrity of the staff/hotel

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the front next to the airport as the noise from the helicopters and planes c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments relating to your recent stay. I am sorry you were inconvenienced with your room service order. We ask for a credit card on arrival to enable guests to charge items to their room accounts. If you do not provide a card then we would have to ask you to pay cash, I can vouch for the integrity of the staff and that an honest mistake was made in regard to billing, however I am sorry for any bad feeling this may have caused.
Livingston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

After staying here on and off for the last 8 years before going offshore I am pleased to say that some of the old issues are starting to change - but some remain the same

Being primarily used for offshore workers expect to see a lot of them about.

The staff on reception are generally very friendly and you never seem to need to wait long to be seen to.

The restaurant just off of reception has never been a strong point for me. Staff are very detached, slow and the place is fairly small. Food is fantastically overpriced for what it is.

By total contrast food from the restaurant at the rear of reception is the total opposite. Staff are friendly, bright and the food - while still fairly expensive - has always been of good quality.

Location is probably best for those using the heliports, airport and nearby business areas. There's not much else to do locally within walking distance. Fairly recently a large ASDA superstore has been built but it is still a good 10 min hike away.

Expect to be woken very early in the morning by airport noise and people leaving hotel / cleaners. Rooms are not soundproofed at all it seems, the huge gap under the door to the outside world won't help that much.

Rooms seem to be very hit or miss. Some are clean and comfortable, others seem to be straight from the 80's and with a mattress made from local granite. If you're lucky you might end up in one of the "vip rooms" to the right of reception - where rooms and standards are like a whole different hotel! I've only been lucky enough to stay there once, probably by accident.

Another positive is the courtesy buses to the heliport, but be there early they fill up fast.

Luckily my company has always picked up the tab to stay here, I doubt I would pay for it out of my own pocket.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the left next to the train tracks, the noise is 10 times worse there
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review further to your recent stay and for discussing your comments with me. As I mentioned we have refurbished all of our bedrooms and are not fitting weather proof strips in order to draught proof the rooms.

As promised I will ensure that your next stay is a great experience.
northumberland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

the rooms are ok for an over night stay like we did but not for longer as there is nothing really around there to do. we found one pub nearby near the train station at dyce (the spiders web.) the rooms are trying to look better than they are. the hotel seems to have a number of oil workers staying there in between travel and it can be quite noisy. the hotel is near the heliport and the noise from the sprinter train and helicopters starting up in the morning. if you get the upgraded rooms near reception they would be more quieter i would imagine. mixed bag of staff on reception. food is good however but expensive. breakfast is ok with a good choice. staff working on the breakfasts were more polite than the staff in the evening. there is no link between the main hotel and the cheaper rooms in different blocks, so if weather bad you will get wet between your room and reception.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay back in October, I am sorry you did not wish to discuss this in detail. I can tell you that since your stay we have made improvements to our rooms. I have shared your review with the team in order to improve our facilities and service.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here in October 2012. From the outside the place doesnt look very nice at all. Inside its modern and quite nice. The room i stayed in was nice and large and had a double bed with plenty of tea and coffee. The reception staff werent that helpful at all as i wanted to get into town and wouldnt really give me much information to help me.
The food was nice but very overpriced for what it was. Breakfast was good though with a wide selection and the breakfast staff were very friendly. top points to them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, however I have noted your comments with regard to the receptionist being a little unhelpful and the food pricing. I hope you will stay with us in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed her for the night as we were attending a family function,
Check inn was simple and we were directed to our room which was
in a building just across from reception.
There was a large and extremely comfortable bed, beyond this was a seating area
with a comfy sofa and coffee table, Dressing table and plenty lights and mirrors,
Coffee / tea making facilities, a trouser press and iron and also a hair dryer.
These rooms have everything you need.
There is a bathroom with shower over the bath, and above the sink a selection of toiletries everything you need for a comfortable night.
The only thing that let this lovely room down was that the bathroom could have been done with a deep clean, behind the taps and the bath pannel was a bit grubby.
We slept in due to the late night we had at the function and missed breakfast so cant comment on that, but from what I have read on here we missed out on a spectacular breakfast.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you so much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping issues which I have passed on and may I say you missed a great breakfast but maybe next time!

Been to Menzies Dyce? Share your experiences!