“OK for offshore workers or business... that's about it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Dyce

You added Menzies Dyce to your Saves list
Menzies Dyce
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Farburn Terrace, Aberdeen AB21 7DW, Scotland (Formerly Thistle Dyce Skean Dhu)   |
Ranked #49 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Livingston, United Kingdom
“OK for offshore workers or business... that's about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

After staying here on and off for the last 8 years before going offshore I am pleased to say that some of the old issues are starting to change - but some remain the same

Being primarily used for offshore workers expect to see a lot of them about.

The staff on reception are generally very friendly and you never seem to need to wait long to be seen to.

The restaurant just off of reception has never been a strong point for me. Staff are very detached, slow and the place is fairly small. Food is fantastically overpriced for what it is.

By total contrast food from the restaurant at the rear of reception is the total opposite. Staff are friendly, bright and the food - while still fairly expensive - has always been of good quality.

Location is probably best for those using the heliports, airport and nearby business areas. There's not much else to do locally within walking distance. Fairly recently a large ASDA superstore has been built but it is still a good 10 min hike away.

Expect to be woken very early in the morning by airport noise and people leaving hotel / cleaners. Rooms are not soundproofed at all it seems, the huge gap under the door to the outside world won't help that much.

Rooms seem to be very hit or miss. Some are clean and comfortable, others seem to be straight from the 80's and with a mattress made from local granite. If you're lucky you might end up in one of the "vip rooms" to the right of reception - where rooms and standards are like a whole different hotel! I've only been lucky enough to stay there once, probably by accident.

Another positive is the courtesy buses to the heliport, but be there early they fill up fast.

Luckily my company has always picked up the tab to stay here, I doubt I would pay for it out of my own pocket.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the left next to the train tracks, the noise is 10 times worse there
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review further to your recent stay and for discussing your comments with me. As I mentioned we have refurbished all of our bedrooms and are not fitting weather proof strips in order to draught proof the rooms.

As promised I will ensure that your next stay is a great experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
northumberland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

the rooms are ok for an over night stay like we did but not for longer as there is nothing really around there to do. we found one pub nearby near the train station at dyce (the spiders web.) the rooms are trying to look better than they are. the hotel seems to have a number of oil workers staying there in between travel and it can be quite noisy. the hotel is near the heliport and the noise from the sprinter train and helicopters starting up in the morning. if you get the upgraded rooms near reception they would be more quieter i would imagine. mixed bag of staff on reception. food is good however but expensive. breakfast is ok with a good choice. staff working on the breakfasts were more polite than the staff in the evening. there is no link between the main hotel and the cheaper rooms in different blocks, so if weather bad you will get wet between your room and reception.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay back in October, I am sorry you did not wish to discuss this in detail. I can tell you that since your stay we have made improvements to our rooms. I have shared your review with the team in order to improve our facilities and service.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here in October 2012. From the outside the place doesnt look very nice at all. Inside its modern and quite nice. The room i stayed in was nice and large and had a double bed with plenty of tea and coffee. The reception staff werent that helpful at all as i wanted to get into town and wouldnt really give me much information to help me.
The food was nice but very overpriced for what it was. Breakfast was good though with a wide selection and the breakfast staff were very friendly. top points to them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, however I have noted your comments with regard to the receptionist being a little unhelpful and the food pricing. I hope you will stay with us in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed her for the night as we were attending a family function,
Check inn was simple and we were directed to our room which was
in a building just across from reception.
There was a large and extremely comfortable bed, beyond this was a seating area
with a comfy sofa and coffee table, Dressing table and plenty lights and mirrors,
Coffee / tea making facilities, a trouser press and iron and also a hair dryer.
These rooms have everything you need.
There is a bathroom with shower over the bath, and above the sink a selection of toiletries everything you need for a comfortable night.
The only thing that let this lovely room down was that the bathroom could have been done with a deep clean, behind the taps and the bath pannel was a bit grubby.
We slept in due to the late night we had at the function and missed breakfast so cant comment on that, but from what I have read on here we missed out on a spectacular breakfast.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you so much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping issues which I have passed on and may I say you missed a great breakfast but maybe next time!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is VPP very bad choice of food for the price. Staff are the worst ever in any hotel. I can partially understand why when they need to deal with 100's of oil workers everyday but come on that never excuses ignoring taking my order for 1 hour then a 40 min wait for food.

Shower leaked so bad that I had a swimming pool in my bathroom. Toilet seat never stayed up. Walls made of paper and when I made comment at the desk the next morning the receptionist typed it all into a computer and said it would be fixed.

Still waiting 2 days later.

Good to be close to helicopter departures but very overpriced Aberdeen hovel.

• Stayed March 2013
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments, having contacted you personally I am sorry that you did not wish to discuss this matter further. I am confident that we could have reached a satisfactory conclusion, however I respect your decision.

I hope you will consider us again in the future as we take this feedback very seriously in order to improve our customer service.
Greenock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Although I gave this a rating of 4, it only just scraped that due to the very comfortable room and excellent breakfast.

The checking in procedure was very laborious, however it was done in a very friendly manner by very helpful staff. I was allocated a room in an outbuilding, and you have to watch your feet in the winter here, I nearly ended up on the floor a few times.

It was a very long walk to to get to the room, but the room itself was very nice. My only criticism was the lack of natural light due to 2 thick curtains, a net curtain then doubled up windows. I like natural light and this made the room a little dark for my liking.

The room was extremely clean, and very well made up. The shower fitting was a little temperamental, but once you figure it out its fine to use.

The room staff were a little on the noisy side in the morning remaking all the other rooms (I had a later flight that day), and woke me up from what was supposed to be a nice long lie.

I went down at the last minute for breakfast, and was very surprised to still see a full selection to choose from. I was expecting to be picking trough the leftovers due to the time I had appeared but I was to be very pleasantly surprised. The breakfast was amongst the best in any hotel I have stayed in.

Would I stay here again on Business, yes.
Would i stay here on personal travel, no, it is too highly priced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Menzies Dyce, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor, my apologies that you had to wait to check in. Due to the nature of our business we have blackout curtains in the bedrooms but I take your point.

With regard to noise levels, I have spoken with the housekeeping team to address this. I am pleased to found the staff to be friendly and you enjoyed the breakfast.

I hope we will see you again soon
Elgin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here for a works course,having seen the price they charge there is no way id ever stay here for anything other than work booking it
Hotel is clean and the staff (well the British staff are friendly) the rest are typical polish
Rooms out the back are a joke,heater didnt heat up and the shower was cold water only big gap at the bottom of the main door and you hear all the noise from all the rowdy people round about
The breakfast in the morning is brilliant and the morning staff are even friendlier

Iv stayed in the main building before and these rooms are totally different in everything.

All in all i wouldnt recommend it but it does a job when its paid for by work

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your comments, I have tried to contact you directly to discuss your concerns over the heating in your room.

I understand that on a previous stay you had been upgraded to a Deluxe room which is closer to the main building, these rooms are of a higher specification and therefore carry a supplement.

Our breakfast has become a big hit with our guests and your feedback is appreciated.

Been to Menzies Dyce? Share your experiences!