Aberdeen for years has been afflicted with low standard, expensive hotel accommodation staffed with surly unpleasant staff. In the past two or three years this has started to change with new hotels being built and others nearly complete. Bed and breakfast accommodation is generally dire so a budget option is very welcome.
I booked the Ibis for a Friday night in March online with Agoda and was amazed at the price of £43. For Aberdeen this was nothing short of miraculous. Undoubtedly this rate will increase greatly during the week but still, it is pretty good.
The hotel is situated on Shiprow near to the docks, a 5 minute walk from the railway station. Taxis in Aberdeen are extortionately expensive so head right out of the station and then left into Shiprow after about 300 yards.
The hotel is in a lovely old Aberdeen area with a maritime museum across the road. The hotel itself though is modern and blends in well with the old buildings in the area. In the same building is a 24 hour gym owned by a separate company and daily memberships are available at a competitive price.
I was greeted by friendly efficient staff and the formalities were dealt with speedily. Thankfully the staff were not Scottish as I find the locals to be unfriendly and unwelcoming to outsiders.
The room was a standard Ibis-type with en-suite, TV and plentiful storage space. The only reason I am giving this hotel 4 instead of 5 stars is the TV and internet system. No wifi and the television settings lead you to believe you have to use the inhouse movie channel and inhouse internet. Yes, you have to use the inhouse internet on the TV screen and a keyboard is provided for this. However, press the "TV" button on you remote control and the TV channels are free. Sadly, the choice isn't very good but it is adequate. I find penny pinching like this by big hotel chains akin to charging for soap ...... petty.
There is a 24 hour restaurant along with a bar that closes around midnight. I didn't eat there so can't comment on the food. I left around 5.30 in the morning and I understand there is a buffet continental style breakfast available from 04.00 which is excellent forethought for those oil workers with an early check-in.
All in all I will certainly stay at the Ibis again due to the clean and reasonably priced accommodation, efficient staff and the central location with a gym next door. I wish there were more like it in Aberdeen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ibis Aberdeen Centre is a newly opened hotel, located in the centre of Aberdeen. The railway and bus station are just a few minutes walk away at Union Square. The ferry terminal and Aberdeen Maritime Museum are just opposite our front door.All business locations as well as Aberdeen City Council Headquarters are within five minutes walk together with the shopping and restaurants in the famous Union Street. The Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre (AECC) and Aberdeen Airport are both a short 20 minutes drive away. The A9 and A96 motorways are easily accessible from the hotel together with Market Street, Virginia Street and many more of the city's main attractions, all within the surrounding vicinity of the hotel. Our guests can visit many of the local attractions such as Balmoral Castle, summer home of the Royal Family being one of many famous Castles to be seen in this beautiful Scottish country side. Why not go on the Whisky Trail and try a Speyside malt? Codonas Amusement Park, Aberdeen Art Gallery or any of the amazing golf courses are all close by. The hotel has a fully serviced bar and restaurant, guests can choose from a cooked buffet breakfast or continental breakfast available from 4am till noon, snacks and evening meals are offered 24 hours per day. Rooms are fully en-suite with walk in showers, tea/coffee making facilities, pay per view movies, mp3 connections and free WIFI internet. The hotel is adjacent to the NCP car park and Pure Gym Aberdeen which is open 24 hours per day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Ibis Aberdeen Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Aberdeen Centre Hotel Aberdeen
- Ibis Aberdeen Centre Scotland