“Pleasant welcome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Central Scotland
“Pleasant welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel recently and could not fault it, from the kind welcome we received from ALL the reception staff, special mention for Amelia, Kamilla and lovely Abbey who is a trainee, for their help in obtaining a suitable room for us and their explanation of the evacuation procedure for disabled guests in the event of a fire alarm being sounded, in which they are all fully trained. Guest with hearing problems are given a vibrating pillow if they wish, this will alert them to an alarm sounding in an emergency.
A mention for the other reception staff too who were extremely pleasant and quite happy to come round to the front of the desk and speak to us. Reception is bright and comfortable where a drink at the bar is available, and there are newspapers to read.

Our spotlessly clean room was bright and well proportioned with a desk and chair at the perfect height and the room had ample storage space. Our room had a large bathroom providing a walk-in shower with seat and plenty of grab rails. We had a superb view of the docks and as the window was triple glazed there was no noise at night. Very comfortable beds, despite most of their twin rooms being situated on the 5th floor, helpful staff arranged for the disabled room we got on the 2nd floor to be made into a twin. The house-maids we encountered were cheery and friendly. Good, spacious lift in the hotel too and as I have an electric mobility scooter I was able to park it in a windowed alcove next to our room where it wouldn't cause an obstruction.

Re breakfast, I found it odd that an earlier reviewer would complain about it, breakfast could be taken from 4:00 am onwards, there was a hot food buffet available between 6:30 am and 10:00 am and the cold buffet continued on till noon, there was plenty of coffee on tap at breakfast especially espresso! We have never stayed in a hotel where a breakfast was available from 4:00 am till noon! The efficient lady keeping her eye on the tables and food at breakfast was pleasant and friendly like all the other staff we've come across in the hotel.

The hotel is situated right next to an NCP car park which costs £16 per day to park but if requested the reception staff of the hotel will clip your ticket and when you pay to exit the car park hotel guests are charged a lower rate of £10, we had no grouse with this charge as it meant our car was secure and within easy reach of the hotel, especially as ours was in a disabled parking bay close to the entrance, the gentleman who mans the car park was very kind and helpful.

Aberdeen is a vibrant and interesting city well worth a visit and I have already recommended this hotel to friends and family thinking of visiting Aberdeen. When comparing the hotel to some we've stayed in that charged £100 per night the Ibis is way up there on value for money

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
H5170-GM, Manager at Ibis Aberdeen Centre, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying in Ibis Aberdeen Centre hotel.
You were so kind to summarize everything about Ibis Aberdeen Centre hotel, I do not wish to say anything else juts you are very much welcome.

Dear all potential future guest please read it!

Ibis Aberdeen Centre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. It is a quite new hotel, as we learned, it has been in business for less than a year now. Upon entry, the hotel looks very nice and clean and our bookings were adequately dealt with. The rooms are nothing spectacular, howev, basic and functional and with about as much charm as a military baracks. We found ourselves on the first floor over the 24 hour gym, and those rooms should be avoided if you want a good night's sleep. Heavy weights will be dropped on the floor below you at 2- 4 am by the gym's patrons, and it will wake you up! Our room was spotlessly clean, the shower very pleasant and the breakfast very tasty and sumptuous.

We however observed that the hotel staff -with one or two exceptions- were very friendly and pleasant, but often gave the impression they did not really know what they were doing. Hence the title of this review. We were lead to believe we had to repark the car in the next door car park every 24 hours ( which is not true, you can leave the car and collect your accummulated discount any time upon departure), drink and food orders were mixed up, our final bill had a food tab attach to it from another room number, etc. To us it seemed that the hotel was run entirely by trainees, without any observable supervision. It was an interesting experience, but please invest in some training and supervision for your staff.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms over the gym, they are noisy throughout the night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
H5170-GM, Manager at Ibis Aberdeen Centre, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments.
We always wish to improve our quality of service and increasing the number of front staff. That is why we are always recruiting and training new and new staff members. We also wish to inform our guests that some of our workers are new in their position that is why you can see "Trainee" is written on their badges. As a part of their training they are fully under supervision of senior staff or member of management. I can guarantee they will deliver the same level of serves soon which made Ibis Aberdeen Centre hotel special.
We are sorry if any inconvenience caused.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

5 minutes walk from both te station and union street next to the harbour so ideal. I was sceptical about the potential noise in the morning but the room was treble glazed so I heard nothing. Shower was perfect. a number of plug sockets is always a bonus but no free wifi is always a let down. O2 aircard worked great though. Breakfast adequate and even better when its free. Bar was ok and has sky sports for football

Room Tip: 228 was everything i needed
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
H5170-GM, Manager at Ibis Aberdeen Centre, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying in Ibis Aberdeen Centre hotel.
It is always a great pleasure to receive positive feedbacks. Despite our team quite young in working in hotel they are so motivated to delivery excellent customer experiences.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Cardiff, South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

The good thing about chain hotels is that you usually know what you are getting and this is no exception
The rooms are very comfortable with the bed being one of the more comfortable that the chains put out there. The bathroom pods are quite funky and the room offers everything that you need for a decent stay. The only slight annoyance was that the TV is quite fiddly and you seem to have to push a lot of buttons to get to terrestrial TV
Location is a 5 minute walk to Union Square which means that you are close to everything
All in all a very nice hotel and thoroughly recommended

• Stayed August 2012
H5170-GM, Manager at Ibis Aberdeen Centre, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank so much for give your comment.
We have recently changed all the beds in the hotel and it is good to read that the guests like this new comfort.
We hope you will also be satisfied if you visit any other Ibis location in UK or you are coming back to ibis Aberdeen Centre.
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Because of my job I stay at many hotels in the UK mainly for one night. I do praise hotels when they are good and feel my write ups are unbiased wether good or bad. It is how I found my stay on that particular day. Sorry sir we have had staff off sick/shortage/left isnt realy our concern, this is how I found itIgnorant staff, when I questioned them about parking I was told it was £10 and it served me right for believing what was on the booking.com site. The room was dirty, especially the bathroom.wooden floors(Sorry I prefer carpets) gave me dirty socks in minutes.I noticed room service trays left by the lift and were still there complete with half eaten food when I left 15 hours later.. Undercooked or overcooked were the breakfast choices and rip off prices for wifi. _there is far better for the price.

Room Tip: by the time you have added on all the extras you could stay somewhere £30 dearer.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
H5170-GM, Manager at Ibis Aberdeen Centre, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
I was so regret because your stay was not what you expected. I am also so sorry to read your comment after I have received your quality report and I fairly answered. Then you have contacted our customer service where we also responded and we offered you compensation, so we really wanted to turn your feeling around.
I fully understand that you were very-very annoyed with the hotel and please accept my grates apologies once more.
I have advised already, that the mentioned website is not the official website of the hotel. We are attached to the NCP car park however they are separate company. The hotel guests have special deal and discounted price available.
I understand that you prefer the carpet but unfortunately we have wooden floor considering the large number of guest with several type of allergies.
The ibis hotels do not have room service but if we have time we are pleased to offer to the guests.
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was my first stay at the Ibis and only stayed because Travelodge was fully booked ,this is where I usually stay. However from now on I will always stay at the Ibis. The room and en suite were lovely and clean, and it was nice to have a duvet on the bed rather than just sheets. The bathroom was lovely and featured an amazing shower, barely a trickle of water comes from the travelodge showers. Also the shower cubicle was surprisingly large. Hotel staff were accomodating and even afforded mysef and my friend a late check out time of 2pm at no extra cost. The hotel is in a perfect location for a night out and dining out (Henry's bar serve amazing food and are right next to the hotel) and the glazing situation means there is no outside noise, however be sure you recognise the extra inside window as there were a few banged noses on ours haha! Being able to connect phone/ipod to tv was a brilliant extra! I never experienced the breakfast service due to a slight hangover however the rest of the services provided at the ibis certainly deserve 10 out of 10 in my books :) I also had an AMAZING sleep... this isn't common for me, I must say the bed was extremely comfortable!! Lovely hotel, I'll be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
H5170-GM, Manager at Ibis Aberdeen Centre, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Ladies,
It was our great pleasure to welcome you in Ibis Aberdeen Centre.
I am happy to share your nice feedbacks with the team.
It is very visible that you could enjoy the lot extra we are proud to serve to our guest in an economy category hotel.
South Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is great but really it's just a travelodge with a larger flat screen tv.

Rooms are very basic and everywhere I look it reminds me of travelodge, to be honest very over priced for what the hotel is.

Oh and the room are laminated floors and the beds are on wheels so and funny business makes you end up on the other side of the room much to me and the person I was with surprise.

• Stayed July 2012
H5170-GM, Manager at Ibis Aberdeen Centre, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank very much for your feedback.
The way you assessed the hotel indicates me that you were satisfied.

The hotel is in economy segment however we believe our attention to details, modern design, smile on reception and quality make the different. The hotel also makes advantage of very good central location.

Ibis Aberdeen Centre

Been to Ibis Aberdeen Centre? Share your experiences!