“Dated but Central” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Toronto
“Dated but Central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I'll admit we didn't spend much time in Aberdeen, and indeed the Aberdeen Douglas Hotel was more of an overnight waypoint for us than anything else.

This places loses points for it's terrible parking location - down around a corner in a hillside lot for maybe 10 vehicles. As a North American, driving in the UK is difficult enough without having to manoeuvre to that degree!

The staff were great, particularly the morning crew who assisted us with purchasing some train tickets and generally were very helpful and friendly. The hotel itself was more of a business spot, for conferences I think, than traveller. The rooms were large but dated, but the free wi-fi and new TVs were nice. I think there was a jacuzzi tub in the spacious but otherwise spartan bathroom. Restaurant was pretty good - try the fish since you're 50m away from the port. The Steak & Ale pie wasn't bad either.

The location is in the heart of the old city near the port and train station. We read that it's the oldest Hotel in town, and it feels like a part of the neighbourhood, which itself retains a bit of a dingy vibe thanks to the ranks of oil and fishing vessels populating the busy harbour just the street from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel's location is five minutes walk from the train station. There was a warm welcome at reception and the staff were most helpful. On my arrival I attended a seafood buffet in the hotel and there was a large selection of fresh seafood - all of which was delicious.

Bedroom was luxurious. It was bright with three windows which were triple glazed so there was no street noise. There was also a nice bath. There was also a large flat screen TV so I enjoyed BBC Alba.

There was a large selection of hot food, fruit and juice available for breakfast and a great variety of breads - all of which were very tasty.

I dined a Molly's Bistro for lunch and evening meals. The food was freshly home cooked, good value for money and the staff were helpful and friendly.

The Citispa (part of the hotel) is located across the street, staff are very professional and I found it very relaxing. It is also open seven days a week.

It was my first visit to the Aberdeen Douglas and I had a very relaxing weekend. Aberdeen is a beautiful clean city.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for on night whilst attending a conference in Aberdeen. My room was large. Although it was at the front of the hotel there was no traffic noise (3rd floor) - I don't know what the lower floors would be like - if you're a light sleeper it may be wise to aim high! There were no biscuits with the tea/coffee in the room. The room came with free and unlimited wifi - as it should in all hotels. The staff were excellent. The public areas hotel beyond reception are a little bit tired. The breakfast was good - choice and quality. Great central location - I'd stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We have stayed here several times now, each time can't believe their star rating with whoever sets the official ones isn't much higher - the reception is a stunning space to walk into and the service i the restaurant far exceeds many 4 stars I stay in around Scotland, and even beats a number of 5 stars in Edinburgh that won't be named! Our room was a double with a window out onto Market Street, I was a bit worried about the street noise, as its a main street but we both slept well - the beds were amazing too - every time I stay in a good hotel it makes me think about getting a better mattress at home! Breakfast was a huge spread of cooked and cold breakfast foods all the usual stuff, amazing black pudding! and all regularly topped up so the cooked food was really fresh. Good powerful shower (always important) and the room had a bit of character it wasn't just a sterile mass produced room, that you very often get in this price range. Lovely dark wood headboard, and stylish expensive looking curtains in each window it is definitely more plush than the price we paid. I usually prefer a modern hotel as traditionally styled hotels can look tired and dirty, but this could definitely have changed my mind - I think when its done well, traditional can be as good as modern!! Dropped into the spa on Sunday to get my nails done, and it was very busy had to book for later and come back as all appointments were filled until the afternoon - I guess that was my fault for not booking in on the Sat, but I did get an appointment later on and my 20% hotel guest discount was very handy. My other half was happy to be left in the bar below the hotel while I went for my treatment, and I joined him afterwards - its a quint little place with lots of interesting irish related bar mats/signs/roadsigns and memorabilia to look at on the walls (Bar was called Malones - I think its linked to Mollys which is their restaurant - like Molly Malones which is a cute touch, and you can feel the warm irish touch in both the bar and the restaurant) watching the sport I'll definitely visit both this hotel (and the spa across the road) again - I'll just get my spa appointments booked in earlier next time! Highly recommended for work or for pleasure, and we saw a wedding group o the Saturday so I guess they do events too - the food was certainly amazing in the restaurant so would expect a wedding reception would be just as good - very filling though (and the bread they have with the soup is out of this world) - would need a loose dress for that wedding!

Room Tip: ask for best available room - don't know if it every helps anywhere, but we got a lovely one!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed in this hotel a few months ago on a working visit to Aberdeen for two weeks. I had never been in the hotel and hadn’t heard much about it although I visit Aberdeen quite regularly - so I was pleasantly surprised to find a really nice, charming hotel that had everything I needed right on the doorstep. The reception staff were very friendly and efficient and made sure I was really comfortable with my room which was very clean and cosy. I could tell that there had been refurbishment work done recently.
I ate in the hotel bistro quite a lot and really enjoyed the different specials - their menu had something for everyone and I also got to know the staff very well and looked forward to speaking with them at the end of the day. Staying here definitely made working in Aberdeen a much more pleasant experience and I will request to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Meols, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Very easy to find being in the middle of market street and a very central location if you want to go into town.Nice room with good facilities and good wifi.I was in a single room which was a touch oppressive due to one frosted window in an alcove and some maintenance was needed to tighten drawer handles and sorted out the constantly running toilet flush unless you wiggle the button but apart from these minor niggles a nice comfortable hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I had a great experience with this hotel - I stayed here with friends on a weekend in Aberdeen a few weeks ago and found it to be the perfect location for us to enjoy the city.
The staff were so friendly and welcoming - our rooms were very clean and spacious and everything was very efficient including our really tasty breakfast!
Our entire group really enjoyed Molly's Bistro and ate here for lunch or dinner for the entire three days as well as sampling some nearby restaurants. We also had a great time in the Hotel's bar downstairs which had live music all three nights

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Aberdeen Douglas Hotel? Share your experiences!