“Enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alva
“Enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Lovely hotel set within pleasant grounds. Very peaceful with coal fires in bar area and restaurant. Lacks atmosphere slightly however great for a quiet romantic few nights away. Staff very pleasant and the service is very good.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I would have liked to have written a lovely review to say that you would receive a warm Scottish welcome and be wowed by the beautiful bedrooms.......but.......

On arrival I was informed I did not have a booking, after querying this for about 10 minutes I was then told my booking had been cancelled. Bemused and somewhat annoyed I asked for them to check why it had been cancelled, only to be told that it was not cancelled; I had simply been moved to another hotel by their central reservations department. I was even more confused at this point and asked why....ah well we have overbooked so have moved you !!!!

I asked to speak to the manager and explained that this was totally unacceptable, that I had another six colleagues staying at the hotel and that we had important meetings to attend....all to no avail. I was astounded by their total matter of the fact attitude, they are obviously used to doing this sort of thing.

Anyone who travels to Aberdeen will know that getting a hotel room at less than a week's notice, never mind on the same day is a bit of a task and so despite trying myself to find somewhere else I had no choice but to make use of the hotel the Norwood had deemed fit to put me in. This was the Thistle at the airport (yes the one at the other side of Aberdeen) which meant I had to cancel my meetings for that afternoon.

I tried putting a complaint in on the hotel website but they have not had the courtesy to respond to that mail.

So do yourself a favour, whatever you do don't book here.....unless of course you want to pay pot luck as to whether you will get a room for the night or not.

p.s. at least the room they booked for me was in Aberdeen, they tried to move two of my colleagues to Ballater (yes the one that is 42 miles away) !!!

Room Tip: Pick somehwere else to stay
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

On no account order the so called crispy pork belly as you will be served something akin to an old trainer to eat.
Admittedly they did not charge for it as I could not even cut into it. The waitress was very sweet but that is not the point.
The food here is expensive even by London standards and falls way short of the mark.
Come on Macdonald Hotels, surely you can do better than this.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Perth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We booked this hotel for Dinner on the evening of my son's graduation. Absolutely appauling! We had checked out the menu prior to booking so had an idea of what to expect. After ordering and waiting a considerable time the waitress returned to tell us that three of the items were unavailable.(That left us with overpriced fish and chips as the only option from the menu!) That was the final straw to a catalogue of dissapointments and a special occasion ruined. I told them it was totally unacceptable and left to have dinner elsewhere. (Found a nice italian restaurant in Aberdeen)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Booked this lux hotel last minute. Rest of guest seem mostly Corp types on bonding trips. We were a family with a toddler. The staff couldn't be more
thoughtful or helpful. We were given a huge well appointed room. They brought up cots (one won't open) and even offered to get nappies for us (we'd left that behind us! Yes we are that kind of parents!). Breakfast was leisurely professional and food was first
class (as was my room service confit of duck the night before). Set in a tranquil setting away from hustle bustle it was a lovely relaxing overnight mid week stay for us.

• Stayed September 2012
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Went to close friends wedding on 1 September - what a brilliant day. Arrived with other friends and their baby, even though front of hotel coned off for pictures, they let us drive right up to all the baby stuff could be offloaded, no rush. Room was beautiful with plenty space and a sofa for grandma who was babysitting for them. Grounds were gorgeous, room where ceremony took place was well set out, bright and airy. Bar areas were small and only one had seating - but that would be because of the number of guests. Dinner was very very good. Excellent service and the food was lovely - no complaints at all. The evening reception was great, buffet f chips, stovies, or macaroni or all three was brilliant. Band were great - hotel staff were courteous and very pleasant. Got me a taxi in no time when I wanted to go. Toilets were clean and more than sufficient. Room was very hot during the ceremony and the meal and especially the reception, air conditioning either not working to its best or was turned down because of the ceremony but thats the only very very small gripe - was a fantastic day and fantastic location - recemmended to all. Don't know about the prices as not my wedding but the drinks at the bar - £9 for 2 bottles of beer - YIKES.

Room Tip: Booking late helped my friends get a larger room with sofa and area for travel cot and baby stuff...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Having looked through many restaurant/hotel menus in Aberdeen to celebrate a graduation lunch we opted for Norwood Hall. Having had an enjoyable weekend stay here on a previous visit we thought we had made a good decision. How wrong could we have been! We telephoned 2 weeks in advance to make the reservation for 5 of us in the restaurant - a very polite lady took our booking and was pleased we had made Norwood Hall our choice for lunch. Hmmmm. On arrival when we 'checked in' we were looked at curiously and told to wait in the foyer area while she scurried into the kitchen until eventually a young man (we later discovered he was the waiter) asked us if ''he could help us''. Again we told why we were there and again more curious looks. After some um's and eh's he asked if we would like our meal in the bar. I told him I had specifically booked the restaurant as it was a special family occasion, but whether it was a language barrier problem or whatever he didn't seem to understand what the problem was. We were told to wait in the bar till the table was prepared but having seen the dining room ,which was empty, the tables were already set so not sure what that was about. We duly waited in the bar, had drinks, waited some more.......45 minutes later we had to ask for menus!! The menu wasn't even the one online and I'm afraid to say the choice was to say the least, poor. 1hour 15mins late we got to our table. We felt we got in the way of an easy bar lunch service and were made to feel by that particular waiter that we were a nuisance. A change of shift brought a nicer more polite waiter who seemed almost embarrassed by what was going on and kept apologising even though he had missed the worst bits. The service (or rather lack of it) reminded those of us old enough to remember it, of an episode of Fawlty Towers. Few seemed to have a clue what was happening or even why they were there themselves! Shambolic to say the least. Macdonald Hotels get yourselves sorted out - too much competition out there for this kind of ineptitude. For us it was so bad we still have to laugh about it now. The price wasn't so funny though!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Norwood Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!