“Skene House Whitehall......First Class” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Place, Aberdeen AB25 2NX, Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 61 Hotels in Aberdeen
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Skene House Whitehall......First Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at Skene House, Whitehall. I can honestly say the service is excellent. the studio apartment was very comfortable and well furnished. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. Special thanks go to Lindsay on reception and the Concierge Ged, for going the extra mile
I recommend this hotel very highly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2whitehall, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are delighted that you chose to stay at Skene House Whitehall again.

Lindsay and Ged are delighted with their special mention. All our staff pride themselves in providing excellent customer service and I will ensure that your review is posted on the staff notice boards for everyone to read.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards

Manager – Skene House Whitehall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have been staying here pretty much every week for the past year. The staff are absolutely brilliant and the suites are always comfortable and clean. Location is very convenient too. I cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your time with us at Skene House Whitehall. I am sure you will agree a staying in a suite is much more comfortable than staying in a hotel room, especially when you are away from home on a regular basis.

I am delighted that our staff looked after you in the way that Skene House Whitehall is reputed for. I am sure it was also a pleasure for our staff to have you as one of their guests.

Karen Barbour – Manager
Skene House Whitehall
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I get the feeling that the Aberdeen hotel market is more geared towards oil workers than tourists and as such there are quite a lot of good deals to be found if you happen to be visiting for a weekend. This was the case for us with Skene House which appeared to be pretty well priced although not quite as cheap as the nearby Premier Inn which I therefore, to some extent, have to compare it to.

The first thing to note is that if, like me you’re not very quick on the uptake, this is not a hotel but an ‘apart-hotel’. In practice this means that you have a hotel reception with a lounge and breakfast room which is surrounded by blocks of tenement style flats which are the rooms.

Ours was a short walk down the street on the first floor of the close. As I say I can’t really describe this in terms of a hotel room as it pretty much looked like a flat for rent decorated in the style I saw when house hunting as a student. That is to say it was very clean, had all the amenities you require, including a kitchen, and everything seemed pretty new but at the same time a bit dated. This is something I think Skene House should fix with no more expense than a trip to Ikea.

One thing we did find to be an issue was the constant smell of smoke in the bathroom and bedroom. The staff advised that this was a fault with the extractor fan and provided us with some air freshener however this didn’t really fix the problem.

The staff themselves I have to compliment however as they are excellent, always happy to help and if it wasn’t for them going the extra mile on several occasions I would be giving Skene House a far lower rating.

In addition the actual hotel area is well set up and has some nice touches. The lounge area, including complimentary fresh coffee and teas along with an honour bar, is great for relaxing and the first drink being on the house was very much appreciated. I would suggest they add locks to the toilets in this area though.

Breakfast was of the standard continental type but there were was a wide range of cooked options available for an extra cost.

So would I stay here again? If I was on a recreational trip, probably not, but were I an oil exec looking for a comfortable home from home in between being flown out to the North Sea then yes I definitely would.

Room Tip: Ask if there's any rooms attached to the actual reception building.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I was very sorry to read from your review that your recent stay at Skene House Whitehall was not as perfect as we would have expected. As you will see from the other reviews on Trip Advisor the issues you experienced are far from the normal guest experience.

We have many different styles and sizes of suites here at Skene House Whitehall, in traditional and contemporary styles and I apologies if the suite you were allocated was not to your preference.

It is lovely to read that our staff provided our usual high level of customer service and we would love another opportunity to welcome you back to Skene House Whitehall.

Kind regards

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a very lovely small hotel. The room was quite big as it was a like a studio :bedroom, separate living room with kitchen and a bathroom. I loved the fact that the bedroom had a skylight. Breakfast was good, and the staff was extremely helpful (we actually checked in earlier than when we were supposed to).

Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are always grateful to hear directly from our guests, about how much they've enjoyed their stay with us. The staff will be delighted to see your review.

I am glad you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet and that our staff looked after you in the way that Skene House is reputed for.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon to Skene House Whitehall.

Manager - Skene House Whitehall
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter had an interview at Aberdeen university and so we had to arrange somewhere to stay fairly quickly.
As I own a travel company it filled me with dread,the thought of looking for somewherebut luckily we were recommended Skene House apts by a friend who has used frequently.
The space was great,kitchen functional for us and it was absolutely immaculate.
Staff all very friendly,lounge area great when we came in from the snow to have a freshly brewed coffee and shortbread witing for you.
Breakfast which was continental was fairly extensive and you could have cooked items if you wished.
I have already recommended to many other people at the university.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Skene House Whitehall following your friend’s recommendation.

I am glad you enjoyed our Deluxe Continental Breakfast, we are one of only a few serviced accommodation providers to have the benefit of a Breakfast Room serving breakfast. We are also, so fortunate to have a lovely spacious lounge, which is enjoyed by our guests, whether relaxing reading the papers or just enjoying their complimentary welcome drink.

Customer feedback on Trip Advisor is very valuable for both accommodation providers and travellers and I am grateful that you have taken the time to post this review.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you are in Aberdeen.

Bryne Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed in a Superior Double, Twin & Single apartment, everything was very clean, the kitchen was a bit spartan but had a fair amount of utensils and most of the home comfort whiteware.
The Twin room was up in a loft which had to be accessed by an extremely tiny spiral staircase that looked like some kind of cheap DIY one size fits all kit. To get up the stairs you needed to be a skinny limo dancer, not recommended for anyone of over average build or with mobility problems. Although we managed, it really should have been pointed out at the time of booking.
Our biggest gripe may seem trivial but the internet quality was extremely disappointing. we were promised High Speed Internet both wired and wireless. For a start the wired and wireless internet in our apartment did not work. When we complained they promptly sent up a repair man who turned out to be the waiter and he didnt have a clue although he did let slip that this was a known problem. We had to piggy back onto a neighbouring apartments wifi where the best we could get was 2.0 / 0,2 download / upload speeds as long as we sat in the right spot which was a real let down. Not exactly High Speed Internet ... They promised to fix it but that evening nothing had been done and we found a letter proudly telling us the problem was solved we could just use the same dodgy wifi from the neighbours ...
On checkout no-one asked how or stay had been, we never received any follow up questionaire so all in all I think we got poor service and i wouldnt mind betting that they still havent fixed their internet.

Room Tip: Ask about room accessibilty to avoid dodgy spiral staircases.. Also get a confirmation about the int...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2whitehall, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Skene House Whitehall.

From the outset, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your recent stay with us.

I am extremely sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay, regardless of the reasons this is not acceptable and I except full responsibility for this as Manager of Skene House Whitehall.
As I am sure you will have seen from our Trip Advisor reviews and No1 Status, we pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and I am very disappointed that you did not experience this.

I have explained this further in my personal email to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.
Regards

Tallahassee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Full apartment/flat style living. Stayed here two times during my stay because of what they offer. For 3 it was very comfortable and offered a living quarter, two bedrooms (one twin, one queen), a full kitchen, and laundry(located outside). Very good price for what all you get also. Ours included a cont. breakfast which was good and it's very close to the city center.

Room Tip: Perfect for up to 4 people. Very cosy and almost like home.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are always grateful to hear directly from our guests, about how much they've enjoyed their stay with us. The team at Skene House Whitehall are very proud of our No 1 status on Trip Advisor and keen to maintain our position at the top, they will be delighted to read your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Aberdeen.

Manager – Skene House Whitehall

Been to Skene House Whitehall? Share your experiences!