“OK but not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #19 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were invited to a wedding here and decided to book a room so we could enjoy the pool and facilities as well as the wedding. The food at the wedding was lovely (we were there for the evening only) but there was soup, great bacon rolls or sausage in buns, everything hot and served with a smile. Bar staff also prompt and provided good service.
Pool and Jacuzzi were fine and not too busy.
We had asked for a room that had been refurbished as I had read that some rooms were a bit tired and our room was large and well decorated. We also asked that it was not facing the front as others had said it was a bit noisy when guests leave late at the front. So our view was over a roof but I had expected that so did not mind.
The things that We did not like were:
- We ordered some food in the room and the chap who brought it up forgot to bring up the wine and we had to send him back twice as there was no salt in the salt cellar. Also the tray was still outside our room when we got back from the wedding reception and the next morning, one of my pet hates in a hotel!
- At about 1am in the morning the kitchen staff decided to empty the bottles from the bar into something else making a really loud noise which must have woken a number of guest with windows facing into the inner "courtyard". Certainly woke me!!
So in summary , an ok hotel but not great. I certainly don't think it is worth the full price we would have paid if we had not been wedding guests.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been done up recently
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, it would seem that you had an enjoyable stay let down by a couple of regrettable errors which I will be certain to speak to my team about, apologies for any inconvenience casued.

Kind regards

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel will always be special to me as I got married here and we will continue to visit. My husband and I returned last week to soapies for an anniversary meal. We very much enjoyed our food. The service was excellent and the staff so welcoming and friendly. The hotel is so nicely done up now, so different to when I was there last. In my opinion it has a modern twist but also still has the antique look to it, that's what I love about this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time with us recently and that Ardoe House continues to hold such fond memories for you both.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked a spa weekend for 14 friends - a hen weekend. We were all extremely impressed by the excellent service we received throughout our stay. We were not a rowdy group, but i would have understood if the staff had been apprehensive at the prospect of a hen party. They went out of their way to accommodate us - we had our meals in a private dining room, were given a complimentary glass of champagne before dinner, and they took the trouble to find out the bride's name and personalise her dessert! Compared with other similar hotels I have stayed in in Scotland, Ardoe House is far superior.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you all had an enjoyable time with us here at Ardoe House and hope to be able to welcome you back in the future. In the meantime please pass on my best wishes to the bride to be.

Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband & I were given a free night here as a gift from a supplier. We arrived Sunday afternoon & have to say the exterior of the hotel is beautiful. The foyer / reception / bars / drawing room etc are lovely, obviously a lot of care & attention have gone into making a good impression. The staff were very friendly upon check in and explained the restaurants etc. - we then headed up to our room. The corridors are gorgeous, lovely tartan curtains, plush carpets then we entered our room (207). It was like going into a timewarp. Gone were all the plushy extras of the rest of the hotel - it was a large basic room with awful 1980's furniture.
It was very clean, I can't complain about that - but one of the windows did come away in my hands when I tried to open it though! It was so disappointing after the initial impression of the rest of the hotel.
We went down to the bar to have a drink & sat outside in the gardens. We felt that because we were not paying for the room - it was a freebie - we couldn't complain & ask to change - we weren't sure if any of the other rooms were any better! There was also a wedding going on so we thought the wedding party had all the good rooms (if there are any!) So we made an excuse that there had been a family emergency & we had to leave. The gentleman on reception was very nice & didn't charge us for the drinks we had in the bar.
If we had known that the rooms were going to be that bad we would have stayed at home & not driven over an hour to Ardoe - that's why we checked out - I have a much nicer room at home that I would rather spend the night in!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, it is very dissapointing that you chose simply to leave the hotel and hot discuss your concerns with our team. We are undergoing a detailed refurbishment throughout the hotel currently and if this room was not to your liking I am certain we would have been able to allocate you another. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Regards

Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Great hotel with endless facilities and reasonable prices for hotel type and location.

Staff helpful and attentive.

On site bar was resourceful, but I would consider eating out at a local pub before returning for the night as the serving sizes do not match the size of the hotel!

Rooms: plush and equipped with all conventional tea making facilities, tv. Beds were exceptionally comfortable.

Location: Good, a bit of a drive and tricky to find with a sat nav, but ample car parking.

Overview: Great Balmoral looking hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am please that you enjoyed your time with us and I will be certain to share your comments about portion sizes with our chef, I must say this is certainly the first time I have had such feedback but we will certainly look into it.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Very pleased with our recent stay.
It was a beautiful day so we sat outside enjoying the lovely grounds and had some drinks after we checked in.
Our room was probably the furthest away from reception but was very comfortable and clean.
We enjoyed a delicious 3 course meal in 'Soapies' brasserie. One of the staff had found out it was my birthday when we were at the bar and they served a lovely plate of chocolates saying Happy Birthday with our dessert - a lovely touch.
We enjoyed a swim in the morning, the pool was quite busy but the facilities were nice.
I also treated myself to a full body massage in the spa and felt very relaxed afterwards.
All the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble
We would definitely recommend this hotel to people looking for a romantic getaway

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your Birthday celbrations with us here at Ardoe House and hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Peter.

Been to Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!