“Poor for the price or any other price” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #19 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
scunthorpe
“Poor for the price or any other price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel looks good on the pictures as you only see the old part however the rooms are all in a soulless block house motel tacked on the side. I spent £209/night for this and to say the room was poor is an understatement. Ancient 70's style funiture that your mum would have thrown out, chipped and scratched poorly painted marked walls and old fashion bathroom with tired fittings throughout. I have also never seen so few TV channels on freeview available with sky sports only on in the tiny bar area that is like an entry into the cheaper resturant.
The food was poor and massively over priced as they know there is no where near as an alternative I ordered a cheese salad sandwich (£7.50!) a trained monkey could have made it better with salad consisting of 5 pieces of rocket and they forgot my chips (£5 - thats a £1 a chip!)and only brought them at the end!
The main fault with this place is it is miles out of Aberdeen if its busy it can take 40mins plus to get to the centre.
Be aware that the room doors have to be slammed to shut and should be checked as they do not self close - I saw lots that were partially open a theives heaven becasue of this in the early morning you get woken with people slamming doors
All that and charging £209/night is an insult (and they overcharged me - I spent hours trying to sort that) I wont be back!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else but if you cant all rooms are the same poor qauilty but always check your door h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments, please accept my apologies that everything was not to your satisfaction on this occasion, I will be certain to share your comments with the team and address the points raised where appropriate however I would stress that I dont believe our location to be a " fault " as you suggest, we certainly dont advertise ourselves to be anywhere other than where we are and I can assure you that Aberdeen City Centre is exactly 4.5 miles from our door, if you were held up in traffic on this occasion then while that it is unfortunate it really isn't down to us as I am sure you can appreciate. I do hope we are given the opportunity to welcome you back to Ardoe House in the future and allow you to experience the levels of hospitality and comfort on which we pride ourselves.

Regards

Peter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Recently attended a function at Ardoe House. Have not been there for many years and I must say I was very impressed.
The food and service were top class - attention to detail was outstanding. The menu looked very simplistic at first glance and yet was really wonderfully presented.
My only complaint was on visiting the facilities there were bundles of paper towels spilling out everywhere and the bathroom looked a mess. Not the fault of the attendees as attempting to pull one out of the bundle was impossible as they did not tear easily. Surely some sort of dispenser would be preferable and the bathroom would then not look so messy.
Only a minor gripe on an otherwise impressive visit. Went for a function but with food this good will be back for a personal visit in the near future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and I will certainly take on board your comments regarding the paper towels and ensure we take appropriate action to resolve. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ardoe House in the future.

Best regards

Peter
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while working at an education conference. The staff, facilities, food, room and surroundings were second to none. This was the first time the company I work for had used this hotel but it will be our first choice for conferences in the area from now on.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us here at Ardoe House and I look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back in the near future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My stay at Ardoe House was a delight from the moment we arrived with the beautifully furnished castle and the warm welcome from reception. The staff are great they made the entire stay effortless, they are so friendly and professional, anticipating every need. The food is excellent we dined in the contemporary brasserie on the first night and ordered the burger and hand cut chips which were perfect. The second night was the dining experience which was fantastic, 7 courses delivered in a relaxed environment in the hotel restaurant which is situated in the orignal historic castle. The room was great, modern decor and extremely comfortable with smart furnishings. Breakfast in the morning again was great, quality of food was high and the buffet was continually replenished. Having the local "butteries" with raspberry jam was a real taste of scotland which is great for us locals as well as a treat for the tourists.
Breakfast was followed by coffee in the drawing room where we sat and enjoyed the views from the window which could not have been anymore relaxing. I could have stayed there all day. Thank you for such a lovely experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments Eve, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us here at Ardoe House and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Let me say first of all that the food on offer in the restaurant is first class. The menu is imaginative and at times inspired. I enjoyed a pave of local beef, served with candied beef rib, that looked and tasted amazing.

However, the Ardoe House is primarily a hotel and seems to be struggling a bit with that role at present. There is plenty of table space between the restaurant and the bar / brasserie, but on two occasions during my stay I was told that I would have to wait at least 45 minutes to be seated - this in a hotel that is several miles from the nearest dining alternative. It was particularly frustrating to be told that tables in the bar were 'fully booked' when most were empty when I arrived and were still empty half an hour later. Illogically, there is a large alternative bar and lounge area that seemed deserted most of the evenings.

I was at the hotel for a conference and found that hotel staff had 'lost' the materials that had been delivered for it. An hour into the event and several calls to the courier and organisers later, the 6 boxes were found in the kitchen! It should be added that the general service for the event was fine, although participants commented that the salads provided at lunchtime were a bit limited - hot lunches were OK.

My room was large and comfortable, but suffered from being next to the kitchens and AC fans, so opening the window wasn't a good idea.

I treated myself to the meal mentioned above on my last evening. As I've said, the food was great, but for some reason the restaurant layout had changed and the 'fine dining' menu was being served in the smaller of the two dining rooms. No problem with that, except that staff kept using that room as a thoroughfare to the brasserie area with large and noisy doors being opened and closed on each occasion. I didn't escape the 'Fawlty Towers' effect on my final breakfast in the same room, when I was sharply told off by the waiter for using the main door that I had been welcomed through on the previous evening - apparently I should have known that breakfast guests were expected to use another door further along the corridor from reception....

All in all, a mixed experience. I hope it's a temporary problem and I hear there are new restaurant and dining arrangements planned soon. In the past, stays have been much better.

Room Tip: Not in the centre of the old part of the building facing in to the kitchens and fans.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback, please allow me to offer my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced on this occasion, I can assure you that I will address your comments with my team immediately and ensure lessons are learnt as a result. I will also pass your comments on to our kitchen team, I am delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience on this occasion.

Dordrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Perfect service, comfortable room, friendly staff. The breakfast and dinner were very good and served by polite and efficient staff. The room was very clean and had all the usual extras, iron, hair drier, etc. Plenty of parking for car events. Well worth revisiting on our return to the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback Jim, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us here at Ardoe House and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Echt, Aberdeenshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Fantastic meal in the restaurant,excellent and at tentative & friendly staff.
Even made a birthday plate for the birthday girl. Well worth another visit. Definitely recommend to friends and family. The atmosphere in the restaurant was amazing, even though the hotel was extremely busy we were treated as though we were the only guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us here at Ardoe House and I will be certain to share your comments with the team.

Best regards

Peter.

Been to Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!