“A little disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Dundee
“A little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My partner booked a last minute dinner, bed and breakfast as a surprise at Ardoe House and paid extra for a junior suite in the original house. The entrance is grand and welcoming with a lovely log fire period features such as wood paneling, high ceilings and beautiful public rooms. The receptionist was welcoming and informed us that we were in the main building just up the beautiful main staircase. Our room was large as was the bathroom. Junior suite? Nott really as I was expecting more than two armchairs and a table in the bay window. The room was a bit drab and dusty, especially around the canopy of the four poster bed. Dinner was a little disappointing considering its reputation and the service slow considering there were only another eight diners in the room. Breakfast was served in the same room in the morning which has no windows which is a real shame as the room opposite was bathed in beautiful spring sunshine but lay empty as I think it is used as a function suite. We will return again hoping that the food and service improves.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, please accept my apologies that everything was not to your complete satisfaction on this occasion, I do hope you will consider returning to Ardoe House in the future.

Peter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was the 3rd year running that we stayed here for the Valentine's Package and once again had a really lovely weekend. We were given a wonderful welcome by Shona our receptionist who informed us that we had been upgraded to a new Privilege Room. The hotel had undergone a refurbishment since we had last visited and I have to say that it was a vast improvement. On arriving at our room we were delighted to see a bottle of Presecco on ice and some chocolates - compliments of the Hotel and our daughter had also ordered a bottle of wine for us! The meal we had on the Friday night was part of the Valentine's package and was really delicious, we also couldn't fault the service and were both impressed with the hospitality and efficiency of the new Restaurant Manager, John. There were some issues with breakfast both mornings with wrong orders being given but all were dealt with immediately by John. Both mornings we received a lovely chatty welcome by Shona on reception who enquired about our stay and wanted to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. The other staff member I would like to mention is Leigh who was also extremely helpful - especially when we said we wanted to walk into Town, giving us directions etc. Leigh was also very hospitable in the evenings stopping to have a chat and making sure everything was OK for us.

All in all a really lovely stay and we will be back for next Valentine's and hopefully before then too!

Room Tip: The new Privilege Rooms are very spacious and comfortable but not suited to anybody with a disabilit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback Pauline, I am delighted that you enjoyed your Valentines weekend with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back next year if not sooner. I will be certain to share your comments with Shona, John, Leigh and the team.

fife
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

had a lovely stay in the hotel . rooms are lovely and the bed was massive (pity it was a business trip ), bar is well stocked but not cheap ...£6 for a pint of peroni. Food was great but a bit expensive .Did not use the spa or pool . Staff were great and friendly .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. On a factual point we don't charge £6.00 per a pint of Peroni but it is a premium product therefore is a little more expensive. If you were charged inaccurately on this occasion please feel free to contact me and I will rectify the matter personnaly.

Peter
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I received a "Red Letter Day" gift voucher from my partners daughter for my Birthday in November last year, forgot all about it. Then having found it (my partner did) again looked at the options to spend it on a worthwhile experience. We both like food, so we looked at Restaurants, Ardoe House jumped off the page and as we live on Deeside in Scotland not too far away, we looked at that as a venue. Rather than not drink and drive I thought it would be good to stay over especially as it was close to Valentines Day (creep I hear you say) we booked. The Hotel is a magnificent Victorian Mansion with all the extravagance that existed in those days for one- upmanship, you would have to see it to believe it, but its not the only Grand Hotel in Aberdeenshire. We arrived (its less than 20 Miles from where we live) mid afternoon and enjoyed a late lunch and a glass of wine in the Bar/Lounge, we had booked dinner already so we just chilled. Service was both friendly and efficient as was checking in, the only criticism was the distance we had to walk to the room. They have extrended the rooms beyond the Hotel and the rooms stretch away in an 'L/' shape. Up 1 floor in a lift, walk, walk some more down some stairs to arrive at the ground floor hundreds of yards way from reception, but quiet!

Dinner was excellent, service was good, waiters and waitresses friendly and efficient and really good dining experience, certainly one to be repeated.

There was some confusion regarding credit for the Red Letter Day gift and I didn't get my Sunday Times, but the Breakfast Buffet was "Scottish" by that I mean there was plenty of it..

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the mail building or take your scooter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments Brian, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Ardoe House in the future.

Peter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Well stayed here for the weekend. Firstly beautiful hotel, friendly staff and the restaurant food was gorgeous!!!

The spa was lovely had 2 treatments with the head therapist who is fab at her job, well recommend water bed massage and the facials are superb!!!

Only negatives i have to comment on are minor in comparison to the great time I had here. Our room was 111 and wasn't the greatest if am honest compared to the rest of the hotel.

The bathroom looked dated, shower handle could do with a good scrub and there was a distinct smell of soured dampness :( I showered at the spa just to avoid the bathroom. The bathroom door had a hole in the panel and the room corners had cobwebs.

We did order room service one time and it took over 45mins to get a sandwich, which when arrived was the wrong order.

I really can't stress enough this is a lovely place to stay and eat but feel the above negatives cloud what should have be an indulgent experience, my level of expectation for the Ardoe is high.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much welcome your constructive comments, I will be sure to discuss these with my time and Im glad that this didnt detract from an otherwise enjoyable stay.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed on a Saturday night and from the moment we arrived the staff were great,good humoured and really attentive. We went straight to the spa area and enjoyed the pool. We had a room in the old part of the hotel at the front. We were lucky to get a fantastic view down the Dee river with the highlands in the background.
The meal we had in the main restaurant was excellent. Compliments to the Chef! Smoked Duck starter, Lamb (Superbly cooked and fantastic tasting) then cheesecake.
The breakfast was great on the Sunday with a hot buffet and special order cooked choices.
All in all a great stay, Thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterArdoeGM, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us here at Ardoe House Hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I needed to stay in the area for some time and this hotel seemed to tick all the boxes, as I would be staying for some 23 nights in total and spending a significant amount in the restaurant and bars. On the strength of this, I ordered an Accor loyalty card in the hope I might gain a few points to put towards treating my wife with a weekend away at some point. I can’t fault the hotel at all, however when I queried not receiving any loyalty points with Accor I had the following curt response; “Reservations made via an online travel agent as well as those made via a retailer or a Tour Operator are not eligible for Points.” I have several other hotel loyalty cards and never had an issue with any of them in the past; therefore I will obviously choose an alternative group to spend my money with in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback Tony, please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced in relation to the use of your Accor loyalty card, I have forwarded your comments to our central team to gain some clarity on the matter and I will certainly be in touch once I have a clearer picture on the situation.

Kind regards

Peter.

Been to Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!