“Stirton Wedding Event 28th Sept” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 Huntly Street, Aberdeen AB10 1SU, Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #42 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Stirton Wedding Event 28th Sept”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

First I would like to say that the wedding went very well and the staff once past the front desk were excellent, but it is the front desk were you gain first impressions.

I had called 3 weeks before the wedding to ask for an early check-in, 11.00, so we could get changed etc as the wedding was elsewhere at 13.00, no problem was the reply. When we got to the hotel at 11.00 we were told by one of the people on the front desk the earliest we can have your room ready is 14.00 Now thinking both myself and wife who was at the hairdressers would have to get changed in the toilets was not an option. Sorry I said I was advised the early check-in would be honoured. No was the reply not til 14.00. But again stressed my earlier call and advised why the early check-in, again a flat No. The other person then intervened, never said a word just checked on the computer and gave the other person a room key which was then handed to me without any explanation. I also think I did not get the reduced room rate as part of the wedding party but just didn't want to deal with the front desk again. It was my son that was getting married so would have thought the front desk would have had us on a priority but No.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We got a good rate through expedia but it didn't include breakfast. We never ate in the restaurant so I can't comment on the food. Our room was perfect - clean, comfortable, good climate control, no noise. The wifi was free and a bit slow but entirely usable. The location is ideal, less than five minutes walk to Union street. The staff were very friendly and helpful - particularly when it came to parking the car. The lot is small but they always managed to find us a space.

Falkirk, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on a short break to Aberdeen. We managed to get a deal which included breakfast on both mornings and a dinner on the first evening. On this basis, the price was pretty good; it worked out at about £79 per night per room and the dinner alone would have eaten up a substantial proportion of that cost if we'd been paying separately for our food.
The check in was swift and the reception staff were efficient and helpful so no complaints there.
Our room was on the fourth floor with no view as such - just part of a wall and a glimpse into the rear yard of another building. If I'm staying anywhere for a short time I don't mind having no view but if I'd been there for a week or more I think I would have wanted something better to look at!
The communal areas of the hotel are in very good order - very smart and well-maintained with some quirky furniture and plenty of places to relax and enjoy a drink. However, the rooms are in desperate need of sprucing-up. I think the bathrooms may have been re-tiled fairly recently but the effect is spoilt by the shabby wooden boxing and grubby sealant around the bath. The fittings are old-fashioned and the floor was dusty and a bit hairy...yuk! It's also a noisy hotel. I could hear every footstep and voice in the corridor throughout the night.
Our evening meal was the great highlight of our stay. The food was really very tasty and high quality, artfully presented and served without too much of a wait. I had a delicious red snapper starter followed by a gourmet-style burger and my husband's main course of steak was praiseworthy...he was pleased to see that it would have cost him £23 if we didn't have the deal.
There's a bit of a problem with parking here - very few spaces are available in the basement car park so you may end up having to pay to park at the nearby council car park. Having encountered this problem at another hotel in Aberdeen before, we didn't move from our parking space from arrival until departure; we walked everywhere which is perfectly feasible because of the convenient central location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights found the hotel very central for our needs, staff also very friendly and helpful. The only downside is the parking not enough spaces for the size of hotel , but other than that great hotel. The breakfast choice is great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mazarron, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here as everywhere else was full - to put it mildly its overpriced for what it thinks it is. Decor a bit dated. I would be lieing if I said it was better than the premier inn we moved to - it wasn`t.

Room Tip: stop in the premier inn
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed in the hotel, only because close to friends we were visiting. Both times the rooms have been less than satisfactory, with toilet not flushing properly this time and drab dark room looking out at a concrete wall. Breakfast was disappointing with fruit hard and tasteless. This hotel needs freshened up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel was probably quite high-end at its peak but the rooms are worn now and it's definitely in need of a refresh. We ate in the restaurant for dinner and our waitress was lovely. Both dinner and breakfast the next day were great meals. If you can get a good price for this hotel you should definitely stay there, but don't expect it to be perfectly polished.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen? Share your experiences!