“bit disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Fraserburgh
“bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

People in next room had a small dog which started yapping at 6am and woke us up. Mentioned it to reception later in morning and the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing they could do about it, people liked to bring their dogs.
We had a voucher for dinner on the first night which included 2 glasses of wine, when checking out we discovered they had charged us £18 for the 2 glasses which should have been included with the voucher. They also added a "voluntary" charity donation of £1. It can't be voluntary if it is taken without your consent.
Breakfast choice has been noticeably cut back on previous times we have stayed there. The cooked breakfast is fine but the selection of cold meats have now shrunk to a few slices of turkey and ham and a couple of small pots of chutney. Previously the breakfast selection was on of the nicest things at the Treetops.
However, the pool facilities were lovely, water perfect temperature, sauna exactly right and very clean.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with your billing and do hope that this was rectified swiftly for you.

We had hoped that through clear communication at check-in about the 'Small Change, Big Difference' campaign, guests would not feel put upon. It is a voluntary £1.00 donation which can easily be taken off your bill. There are many reasons why guests would not want to participate and we respect this indivudal choice.

Our breakfast selection has recently been streamlined to offer our guests high quality and fresh choices.

Thank you once again for your review. I hope that these issues did not impact too much on your stay and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Mike Marshall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for 10 nights on a trip to Aberdeen in October of 2012 and I was very satisfied with the quality if service that I received there.

The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. The hotel caters to the needs of clients with different requirements.

The gym and pool facilities are well equipped. The restaurant serves very delicious traditional Scottish dishes which I enjoyed.

I would definitely return

• Stayed December 2012
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by the team at the hotel and will ensure your feedback is shared with all staff.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel in the near future.

Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here for the third time in three years. Was disappointed as as not the stay we had hoped for

On a plus side:-
* the hotel is located in a nice area of Aberdeen- near the lovely hazelhead park
* lovely pool and well equipped gym with long opening hours
* friendly reception staff
* very reasonable when paid for with my hilton honours points.
* double deluxe room was spacious with a large bathroom with both shower and bath.
* large car park

On the negative side:-
* it's very much a wedding hotel. We stayed all weekend and were subjected to two weddings. Subjected was the right word and one was very very rowdy including a full pipe band playing indoors!
* the front door of the hotel is crowded with smokers with smoke blowing through the hotel reception. A smokers shelter away from the front door is desperately needed
*we awoke one morning to find a man asleep comatose with drink outside our room door. When we reported it to staff, they seemed to find it amusing. I didn't .
* I asked at check in for breakfast costs to be added to our room. Instead, an embarrassing discussion took place with the breakfast waitress as she tried to refuse us. She then said we would not be charged for breakfast- we were.
* only one of our room keys ever worked
* only hotel I've ever ordered room service in to be told that they are busy at the moment and they'll phone us back
* room dated and needs a refresh

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at the Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations.

The safety and security of our guests is of paramount importance and our Night Team perform regular checks of the corridors and building to ensure this.

I will be investigating the points you have raised about your breakfast and room service experiences with our Food and Beverage Team.

Please rest assured that your comments have been taken very seriously and action will be taken where necessary.

Thank you for your review and I hope you will consider the Treetops in the future.

Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

At short notice, my booker garnered a "deluxe double" with breakfast, but at over £200 I was expecting a great deal better ;

On entering the room, it absolutely reeked of tobacco smoke. Why, ( when I believe there is a penalty system in place for previous incumbents ), are the rooms allowed to be handed over to paying guests with these conditions ? I mentioned it to the reception staff on leaving for business and they dutifully apologised and agreed to rectify it. On returning to the hotel nothing had been done ? The source of the smell was the toilet, where it appeared someone had sat and polished off at least a pack of twenty.

I realised that I had stayed in this self same room in 2006 and it may as well have been 2006, i.e. nothing had been changed at all. Actually, that's not strictly true, the TV was new and smaller, like mini me small !

Ate in the restaurant, but the service was slow and the food was pretty average. I had the bacon and potato salad starter and whilst being cooked and presented pretty well it was cold. I had the impression that it must have sat on "the pass" waiting patiently for someone to notice. Unlucky chef, it should have been encountered as you prepared it. The duck main course with vegetables, again, should have been top notch, but the RAW veg was unacceptable. Sorry chef, this one is on you.

Don't get this place, yes it distinctly says Hilton everywhere, but I think the franchising of the "brand" right across the board, has many, many shortcomings.

My booker will be getting a "heads up", unless the hefty pricing policy is reduced significantly, to remove this hotel from the Aberdeen list.

P.S. I have the distinct feeling that the "HoD's" don't give a stuff about any of the points raised "MikeM" as they should never have arisen in the first place. Repetitive policy statements are merely "firefighting" in my book.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hilton Aberdeen Treetops.

I was disappointed at the points you have raised in your review and I can assure you that I will be addressing these comments individually with my Operational Team Managers.

We are a smoke free hotel and you should not have been given a room in the condition you have described. I understand that this will have made your stay uncomfortable and apologise for this.

Your comments about the food have been passed to the Head Chef and his team for review.

Our HOD's are dedicated to our guests and work with their teams to ensure that any guest issues are resolved in the best possible way.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope that we do have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Aberdeen Treetops in the future.

Ashington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for one night using Hhonors points and we were pleasantly surprised given some of the less than favourable reviews. Checkin was swift and staff were polite and helpful. We made our way to the room on the ground floor (albeit it the layout of the hotel is a bit weird with doors and steps to contend me to get to our room). In arrival the room was nice enough, a little dated and tired plus very small but clean and comfortable. The bed was not the greatest hilton experience but reasonable. No view to speak of from the room (a flat roof and goods entrance!).

Breakfast the next morning was excellent and staff were polite and welcoming. It was £10 each for breakfast given that we had used points to cover the cost of the stay.

Comfortable lobby area and free wifi in public areas was helpful. Disappointingly the pool was closed during our stay for refurbishment.

More than happy to return but would suggest upgrading to a bigger and better room if available. We only stayed the one night so size didn't matter too much but a longer stay would be cramped.

For space I recommend a Platinum Club room at the nearby Doubletree. We stayed there the subsequent two nights and that was exceptional in almost every way normally for similar cost.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Twinsburg, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Spent 4 nights at the hotel for business and would certainly give it a shot again. Due to the nature of business in Aberdeen, one cannot be too picky. Hotels are hard to come by on 1 week notice. Room was on the small side. Very tiny bathroom with almost no counter space. Lot of noise from adjacent rooms and hallway. Ate three meals at hotel and food was above average. Breakfast was very good, but a 10 pound up charge. Good bar for relaxing. All the staff was super friendly and could not be happier to take care of you. This was about the best part of this hotel. About 12 minutes for airport or town, so not the closest place if you want to experience the city on foot. Did not use fitness room. Lastly, internet costs 14.95 pound per day. Pretty steep by today's standards. Should have been free.

Room Tip: Small room would be really tough for 2 people.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

I am pleased to hear that you enjopyed a pleasant stay at the hotel and delighted to hear your comments about my team. I will ensure your feedback is shared.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you will consider the Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel in the future.

Morecambe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had a great stay until I checked out. I couldn't get an upgrade with my membership, but the room that I got was very nice. A decent size and the decor looked new. The mattress felt like it had seen better days or was of poor quality. Room service food was excellent and free wifi is always a bonus. Then when I checked out something happened that absolutely infuriates me. The hotel took on the role of my conscience and decided that I needed to make a charitable donation for each night of my stay. I mean who do you think you are to impose such a system. Oh yes you will respond saying, but it is voluntary. But the point is that you put it on my bill and I have to tell you to take it off. I am disgusted that you would put me in this position. If you want to make a charity donation go ahead, BUT do not presume that I want to follow suit. I seriously hope that you reconsider your policy on this because it soured my stay!!!

Room Tip: The rooms to the right of reception can resemble a cupboard rather than a bedroom. The lift takes fo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that our 'Small Change, Big Difference' campaign caused you so much upset as this was not our intention. Last year this campaign raised £136K for charities across Europe supporting vulnerable young people thanks to the generosity of our guests.

We had hoped that through clear communication about the campaign, guests would not feel put upon. There are many reasons why guests would not want to participate and we respect this indivudal choice.

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions with us and please accept our apologies for the upset this charity campaign has caused you.

I hope you will consider the Treetops in the future.

Mike Marshall

Been to Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel? Share your experiences!