“Thumbs down!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre

You added Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Claymore Drive, Bridge of Don, Aberdeen AB23 8BL, Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #33 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Preston, England, United Kingdom
“Thumbs down!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Expectations were higher than normal when booking in with the high room rate, however my expectations were not met from the start.

With this being one of two Holiday Inns ( other one being an Express) I did expect an above average room, what I actually got was a generic room with not even a biscuit on the drinks tray.

The room clean, but was, in my opinion, small in width, with the bed length taking almost the width of the room, the desk chair becoming problematic if pulled out as it used up the all the space left at the end of the bed.

I ordered room service and I got, even with a simple selection, a very poor meal of which I left most of it being cold, I didn't complain, but I should have done on reflection.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable, but without free WiFi I had to resort to a meagre 3G connectivity for talking to loved ones.

I slept well, with little noise, considering the ground floor room, the bathroom well stocked with product for use in the shower.

Breakfast was good with a reasonable selection buffet service and lots of hot coffee and papers.

Would I stay again, no, I could not genuinely recommend this hotel for anyone to use their own money to stay, I was fortunate as my company was picking up the bill!

• Stayed October 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Simon C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Although I was only booked for one night and having stayed in numerous Holiday Inns over the years, I can advised that this is one of the cleanest and friendly ones I have stayed in. The staff were very approuchable and the breakfast which was served between 6.30 to11am was excellant and plentyfull. If you wish a first class experience when visiting Aberdeen then this is the ideal place.

• Stayed October 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I booked online I didn't realise this place was so far away from anything. It is too far out of town to walk to a local restaurant or business centre and staff said there wasn't much around except some local bars. I had the flu when I arrived so didn't really want to drive anywhere and I booked for two nights to recoup. I ordered room service the first night which was ok but the girl dropping it off gave me a down her nose kind of look when I answered the door in my flannel pjs.... I knew I should have worn my evening gown!

Rooms: average size, nice bath room with a bath! For some reason the rooms and main areas were really stuffy even though the heat wasn't on (this was confirmed by other non-flu infected guests). Beds were comfy. So if you're coming in late and leaving early I guess this hotel would suffice for a one nighter.

Charging for wifi is a pet hate of mine. They offer a free 30 minutes but if you have some work or holiday planning to do this is obviously not enough. For the price you pay for the room you would expect wifi to be included. This is an obvious way for them to squeeze more dollars from their already overpaying visitors (they also have an overpriced pay per movie offer on your television).

I have to admit that the pea ham soup starter was really nice, everything else including breakfast was standard. I had mixed experiences with the staff, some in the restaurant were very friendly and genuine but some at the bar and reception were so very fake or bordering on rude. When I left the robot at reception did not make eye contact when she told me "enjoy your onward journey" in an emotionless monotone. Those last words kind of sums up my whole Holiday Inn experience.

I will not stay in another Holiday Inn by choice. I'll support small business and local economy in future.

Room Tip: Ground floor room was hot and stuffy and close to street so you didn't feel safe leaving the win...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear TravellingWales,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding food selection.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding location and the internet charges. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Ponteland, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

No better than a premier inn just more expensive. Food was ok, rooms clean but looking tired. Breakfast again was nothing to write about. However for a reduced rate of £150 with additional for wifi this just did not look good value against premier inns

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Karl H,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My overnight stay at this hotel exceeded my expectations. The staff were welcoming and the hotel was spotless. Corridors look a little tired however I understand they are in the process of upgrading their rooms. The room (one double and one single) was perfect and the bathroom clean and well equipped. There was even a little card under the bed thanking us for checking cleanliness which I thought was amusing and a nice touch. soft and hard pillows were provided with all the usual things for a holiday inn. Much nicer than the Travel lodge equivalent.

The rooms were very hot overnight which did not give us a great nights sleep essential as my son was competing in an athletics competition the following day. You could open the window but only a small gap which didn't give enough relief and i had to shut it half way thought he night due to squaking noisy seagulls! Definitely reminded us we were on the coast.

That said it was a convenient location, clean and cost effective so would recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here for two nights late July whilst in Aberdeen with work.

There is sufficient car parking available onsite and a friendly welcome was offered on arrival and I was able to check in quickly and without fuss.

The room was very clean and in well maintained, however it is starting to look very tired and dated especially when compared against the other three IHG hotels in the city, however the bed was comfortable and I had a good nights sleep both nights.

Breakfast in the mornings was very nice with an excellent choice available, the only let down being the coffee which was very bitter. The weather in July was hot and due the glass roof in this area it did feel like I was sitting in a greenhouse at times and had the potential to become very uncomfortable if dining later in the day.

Overall the stay was enjoyable and I would ay again in the future, however a refresh is needed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Chris M,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and parking arrangement.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the property condition. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I've stayed here on several occasions. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is very enjoyable, and there's a good choice. This is always my hotel of choice when I stay in Aberdeen, particularly for gigs at the AECC as it only a couple of minutes walk between them. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre? Share your experiences!