“Great location - Adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10-14 Union Terrace, Aberdeen AB10 1WE , Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
“Great location - Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

The Hotel has an excellent location and you can enjoy the nightlife within walking distance. The hotel also offers free parking but I suggest you arrive early as parking is fairly limited. The rooms are clean and the service efficient. The bar also offers a good meal.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with friends for a couple of nights & had a lovely time. We were in room 232 which had no view but the room itself was large, modern and comfortable, with all the amenities you could wish for. There's a slight slope to the room, but it's an old building and this is just an observation not a complaint. The bar & waiting staff were great too. The location is just off the main shopping street in Aberdeen, and a perfect spot close to many bars & restaurants. The parking is limited, and I think it's first come first served. All in, we'd definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for spending the time to leave a review. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable weekend with us and will pass the kind comments on to the team.

Our car park is indeed first come first served and we are one of the only hotels within the city centre to offer free car parking to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Myself and a friend went to the Caledonian Hotel for Afternoon Tea and it was a real treat. The staff were very attentive and pleasant and we had a nice table close to the window. It was a Monday afternoon we went and we were virtually the only people in the room but that was fine. The deal included a cocktail (which I had forgotten about) and was a nice surprise and you were able to choose anything from the cocktail menu. The Afternoon Tea came with the usual sandwiches, scones/cream/jam, cakes and tea or coffee. All were lovely and appeared home made and plentiful - we could't eat everything! Crockery used was quaint and added to the All in all I would recommend this to anyone and being in the centre of town would be ideal for a girls treat after shopping all morning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind comments on our recently introduced afternoon tea. Our Sous chef Bryan Murray created the afternoon tea as part of our 120 year celebrations this year. To keep in with what we think is the ideal afternoon tea we have worked closely with Candy Belle Vintique to create an authentic vintage feel with all our crockery. Our Terrace suite is the perfect place to relax after a day's shopping and I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Good lord, this is the 21st century. The tiny bed and breakfast I just left had no lift and a four floor walk up to the lobby - they had free wifi. I thought this one did too when I booked (it was one of my filters). Expensive pay wifi doesn't qualify and should not be listed so that filters fool people into booking thinking they will have access without a huge expense (£20 for 2 days) Lesson: email ahead to check if wifi is provided. (Today wifi is like clean towels: if a hotel doesn't get it right, there will be no return.)

The cupboard door was not well thought out. You had to move the chair because the door opens on the wrong side.

I think the tv remote needs a new set of batteries.

An observation: The view was a scaffolding. I understand buildings need work. Room 407 has an industrial view of rooftops. It would bother others. It is not a big issue for me.

Now that the bad has been said, let's get to the good. Nicely appointed bathroom. The room is a single so it is perfect for a solo traveler. I liked the honey-colored wood furniture and the warm colors (maroons). Plenty of plug ins above the desk for phones etc. (that 21st century thing again). A robe and slippers, an iron and ironing board with a bag for laundry services are cozy little touches.

Overall a nice room. It just needs wifi access.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Thistle Hotels do not offer complimentary wifi, however we have introduced our new Signature loyalty scheme that does offer complimentary login time, dependent on the level of membership they have attained and qualifying points that are earned from the day of application. With reference to the scaffolding we are currently undergoing some improvements to our hotel and scaffolding is erected to the rear of the property. We have agreed hours of work with all contractors to ensure disruption is kept to a minimum. Our aim is to complete the renovations in January 2013 these works are a commitment to continual improvement in our service and hotel offering. I am glad to hear that your approved of your room and the recent refurbishment.
I hope to welcome you to Aberdeen in the future and if you would like me to send you some details on the Signature Loyalty programme please do not hesitate to ask.
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Booked this hotel for a girls night out in Aberdeen, it was perfect. Great location, very stylish well proportioned rooms, looking out on to union terrace gardens. Stair case had just been painted and was all very fresh. Most of staff very friendly and helpful. When checking in we were supposed to have had champagne, this was missing, but a quick phone call and a while later this arrived. A lovely Buffett breakfast in the morning, just what you need after a good night out! Only thing, the 2nd towel for bathroom was hidden in the top cupboard! Maybe in the bathroom would be more appropriate!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear you have a great stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that we did not have your champagne ready for you but am delighted to hear that our team saw to this request immediately. I will pass your kind comments to my team. I look forward to welcoming you in the near future,
GLASGOW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Very centrally located, helpful reception staff, adequate room. The reason the review is not better is that I wasn't impressed by the human hair found adhering to my bathroom door. Not the cleanest room I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. It is disturbing to hear of the cleanliness issues you experienced while staying with us. We do have a number of new housekeepers and this is not the level of cleanliness we expect. I will be speaking with the housekeeping department today and I will ensure going forward all rooms will be thoroughly inspected as one would expect.
I hope this does not deter you from staying with us in the future.
Best regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My partner & I recently stayed at this hotel for a 2 night stay & we had a lovely time. I was pleasantly surprised by the professional & helpful staff who attended to us, particularly in the restaurant & on reception. Nothing was too much trouble & the receptionist even photocopied some important documents for me free of charge!

The only slight downsides were a couple of minor cleanliness issues, which were rectified immediately & also there was limited parking as it was busy at the hotel.

Overall though, we had a great stay in very comfortable surroundings & it was made even better by the high quality of service that we received. Thanks to all management & staff - we will return again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a great stay with us here at The Caledonian By Thistle. It is however disturbing to hear the level of cleanliness did not reach your expectation. I will speak with our housekeeping department and also pass on your kind comments to the team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Caledonian by Thistle.
Best Regards,
Jane Bourque

Been to Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian? Share your experiences!