“hotel I called home for week” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10-14 Union Terrace, Aberdeen AB10 1WE , Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Sydney, Australia
“hotel I called home for week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at Thistle Hotel originally for 2 nights only. My son was in Intensive Care at the Hospital. I ended up extending my stay. The receptionist-Rosemary on was a gret help. She as very sweet and looked after me very well. A very empathetic young woman nd hardworking too. Aside from being the receptionist she once came up to my room to deliver room service as well. The staff were excellent! The location as well, it is very accessible. The room was price worth. I will defenitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
186338Thistle, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us at The Caledonian By Thistle. Your comments are very kind and I will ensure these reach the team and especially Rosemary. We pride ourselves on offering our guests a first class experience at exceptional value for money, I am glad to hear you received this. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kinds Regards,

Jane Bourque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I organised a weekend stay at the Hotel for six couples commencing 2nd September 2011. We travelled by train from North Yorkshire as part of the excellent Superbreak package incorporating rail travel and hotel stay. For what we paid it was great value, we enjoyed a good quality meal on the Friday evening, sitting around a well prepared table for 12 in our own dining area. Breakfast was a comprehensive choice including of course haggis. Bedrooms were comfortable - with one or two adverse comments about outside noise at the back of the hotel (it is City Cenre in fairness). Staff were very pleasant and I have to say our stay was a success. Hotel furnishing and decor were pretty good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
186338Thistle, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dera Reviewer,

We are delighted that your stay with us was a good one. Thank you for your comments on our décor our hotel bedrooms and public area’s have undergone extensive refurbishment over the past 2 years and we are very proud of our final product. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

fochabers,moray
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I booked a luxury double room for two nights for my husbands birthday.The receptionist was really polite and helpfull. We were given a room on the fourth (top) floor overlooking the gardens across the street.It was a lovely room,huge comfy bed,a sofa,a flat screen tv,and modern bathroom with nice toiletries.There was also a hairdryer, small fridge, iron and board,tea/coffee making facilities and robes and slippers.The hotel staff also left a lovely wee box of chocolates and a bithday card for my hubby,he was delighted. The room and hotel was very clean throughout. We had a great breakfast,both mornings,something for everyone and very good service. We came on the train to Aberdeen and it was an easy walk from the train station,as was all the shops and shopping centres.The10 screen cinema was easy walking distance,we went both nights! Round the corner is His Majestys Theatre, this hotel would be an ideal place to stay for going there. All in all,we had a lovely weekend, and would definately return.

Room Tip: i would reccommend booking the deluxe rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank for spending the time to review our hotel on your recent visit. Here at The Caledonian By Thistle our team endeavour to give all our guests a high level of service and it is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your kind comments to our team with they were very grateful for thank you again. I am glad your husband enjoyed his birthday and have passed a special thank you to our reception team member Rachel who arranged this surprise. We hope to welcome you again to Aberdeen again soon.

Captiva Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Booked two rooms for a three day family vacation. Rooms were a little small, but clean and well maintained. Views over Park are very nice, make sure to ask for room with view! Lots of dining in area. Hotel does have free parking if renting a car. Agree with other reviewers that restaurant is above average for breakfast and dinner.

Get feeling that hotel is more of a business hotel than a vacation destination.

Room Tip: Ask for view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
186338Thistle, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at. We endeavour to give all our guests a high level of service and it's great you feel this was achieved.

We are the oldest hotel in Aberdeen dating back to 1891 and have kept some original features with a temporary design, we are fortunate to have such a great building with one of the best views in the city and it is great to hear you enjoyed the view.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I booked the Caledonian Hotel in Aberdeen as a special treat for my partner and myself to have a nice romantic week-end away. We took out little dog with us, as when we booked on line the hotel said pet's welcome. When we arrived they could not find our reservation, and said that pet's were now not allowed! I asked to speak to the Manager and after a heated discussion she allowed my dog in the hotel ( as a concession!).
On going up to out rooms we were really dissapointed, we did expect the hotel as it was an old building, to be oldy worldy, but found the rooms drab and in desperate need of a makeover. I certainly would not stay here again. The breakfast was ok but again nothing special or what you would expext in a 4 star hotel. I now stay at the Holiday Inn Express when going to Aberdeen.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
186338Thistle, General Manager at Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are sorry that you were not happy with your stay at our hotel. At Thistle we endeavour to deliver a high level of service, and we apologise that you did not receive this during your stay. Our hotel has recently undergone a full refurbishment of all our bedrooms since your stay with us, which was completed in May this year. I would love the opportunity when you are next in Aberdeen to show you what we have done. I will send you a separate message with my direct contact details if you would like to take me up on this offer.

With reference to Pets in the hotel this is to the discretion of the management, I apologies for the upset caused on the day. I will be looking into this and ensuring this is communicated correctly in the future.

I have recently joined The Caledonia by Thistle and your feedback is invaluable to me to ensure we deliver exception service day in day out.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we hope to welcome you back to Caledonian by Thistle in the future.

Perth, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

On my arrival there was a queue of 6 people at reception with no receeptionist to be found. However, when I did get served, the receptionist was very apologetic and polite and informed me that I had been upgraded to a deluxe room. Room was very nice and clean, the bed very comfy and the bathroom was lovely. I had booked on a room only basis and was informed that if I booked breakfast that night, the rate would be £8 instead of £16. Not sure what that was all about as the cost of breakfast was £14.95!! Breakfast I have to say was very good but I would not have had it if I had been informed of the correct cost. There is also no indication in the room of the cost of breakfast. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay and with the location being very central to bus and rail links, it is the perfect hotel for shopping/theatre breaks etc., and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Needham, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The staff is quite pleasant and helpful. The rooms are nice/standard older European hotel rooms -- not fantastic for business use. The food in the restaurant and bar is quite good. The business facilities are weak -- slide projection, but little space for hanging flipcharts and the like on the walls.

Rooms on front of hotel are very noisy -- street noise and train tracks a few hundred yards across the way.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Thistle Aberdeen City Centre, The Caledonian? Share your experiences!