“To be avoided” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Largs, United Kingdom
“To be avoided”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Facilities hardly meet basic. Food worst I have known....cold buffet was best of worst. Extortionate price instantly non refundable. Was charged for breakfast I never asked for as was too much bother to change bill

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear stokerjas9, the prices may appear high but it is each guests choice to pay them or not, this is Aberdeen and hotels are expensive during the week. We run a buffet in the restaurant and buffets are not to everyones taste.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The worst receptionist I have ever witnessed (foreign female with glasses). Fire alarm went off at 6.00am, I went down to reception to see if we were to evacuate the hotel, the bad mannered foreign receptionist was the only staff member there. I asked what was happening with the alarm, she looked at me as if I had insulted her & said it was the kitchen smoke alarm. No apology, nothing. As for the hotel, well it's an embarrassment to Aberdeen. The decor was outdated 15 years ago.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ally V, I am sorry that the fire alarms went off this was a simple false alarms. The hotel is old and would benefit from refurbishment.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here twice and sorry, both times were awful, after the first time I thought I would give the hotel the benefit of doubt. Very scruffy carpets greet you and all the paint work is yellow,the rooms are in a bad state with the wall paper peeling off, cupboards and draws falling to bits and beds that require re newing theres a foisty smell throughout the place. Retaraunt is not much different and the food in here is like the bar top price and poor quality. Reading the many reviews most are like this one. Britannia manager I dont need a reply thanks Overall it needs millions spending on the place to put it right so not your fault...

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Neil C, the hotel is old and does require modernisation and refurbishment. We are currently awaiting final planning permission to build a new entrance, reception, lounge and bedrooms and the existing areas will also be looked at whilst this is being done.
glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have had the joy of staying here as I'm stuck in Aberdeen. I would not advise staying here at all! I u dear stand prices in Aberdeen are inflated but over £200 to stay in this place is ridiculous to be honest. The bar is terrible with a toastie starting at £5. Now the worst part the place needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom!

I don't think they actually clean the rooms as the twice if had no option but to stay here they have been filthy. The latter room all the enamel and paint was peeling from the bath and the walls in the room had brown marks on them !when I went to open the window as the heat I. The room was unreal. The white netting on the window was actually black.

I have stayed many places all over the world with work in some horrible locations but this ranks up there with the worst.

I'm sure you will see from my review so far that this hotel should be avoided if possible.

It don't cost a lot of money to keep a place clean!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear scotty13, The prices charged are clearly displayed and is the choice of guests if they wish to pay them. I apologise if you found the hotel to be dirty, it is old and requires maintenance however there is no excuse for being dirty. We are currently sourcing a new company to repair some baths that the last repair on the enamael did not fix properly.
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have just got back from a 3 night stay at the Britannia Aberdeen while travelling with David Urquhart Travel. We had reservations after reading other reviews but we had a great time. We found the hotel clean, staff very welcoming and helpful. Our Breakfasts and 4 course evening meals were lovely, well prepared and of great variety. Meals were self service so we were not limited to a given portion as we have been with other holiday companies (please read my previous reviews) so no-one had to leave the table hungry. A HUGE Thanks to the waiting staff especially Louise whose whitty banter and sense of humour made for happy dining. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others. We got a fantastic deal with David Urquhart so we found the whole break a true value for money deal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear travelfan1808, I am glad you had a great holiday here and found that a lot of the comments we receive are not valid. I will pass your comments onto the staff and we hope to see you back again in the future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Ok, I stayed there for 2 nights and for the price my company paid it was disgusting.
I arrived and checked in with an extremely rude receptionist who clearly want to be there and who was drenched in sweat and absolutely stunk to high heaven. Personal hygiene costs nothing and neither do mannours

I got to my room which on the surface looked bearable (just....) water pressure is extremely low making taking a shower almost impossible and the window only opens about 3 inches making the room stuffy and stale.

my first nights sleep was ok but then it gets worse...................

The second night I went to place where people eat (I won't call it a restaurant) it was disgusting to food was basic and was cooked terribly. But then I noticed all of the stains on the seats and carpets which led me to wonder what my mattras was like on my bed which I checked strait away...........I wish I didn't it was absolutely filthy which made my skin crawl, I felt sick to the stomach that I had to sleep on that, which I didn't..... I paid out of my own pocket to change to another hotel for the 3rd night.

I wouldn't let my dogs stay in this hotel and I have noticed the manager seems to reply to every comment on trip adviser trying to justify it........you can not justify the dirtyness of this hotel my friend and you seriously need to hand in your notice and leave along with most of your staff.

ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTING! AVOID AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear kg k, I am sorry that you were obviosuly not happy with the price your company paid for your room but the cost is the agreed and accepted cost.
North Ayrshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Remember the hotel is aimed at the high volume, low cost sector of the market. Within those constraints they do very well. I went on my own as a last minute, three night, booking with a coach tour. When we got there the manager (?) welcomed us and gave out the room keys. My name was not on the list so I was directed to Reception. I was given a room and they found my surname had been misspelled. Obviously an error in transmission.

The hotel is well outside Aberdeen but OK for a bus tour base. Well worn best describes the hotel and furnishings but there seems to be an ongoing piecemeal renovation to improve it. Having seen what customers can do to it, I am surprised that it is in such reasonable condition.

The choice of food was limited and basic but the food was well cooked - a marvel, considering the numbers - except for the chips which always seemed dried out. However, this suited me as I am trying to stay off chips. As it was always a buffet, I could eat as much as I wanted. The choice of white wine was restricted to two house whites, each being very acceptable table wines. I brought a large glass from the bar for each evening meal.

I asked for an alarm call at a different time for each morning. On the first morning it was not loud enough to waken me but as I was already up it did not matter. I mentioned the problem to Reception. Immediately, she noted I was to get a louder alarm call and it was to be repeated until I answered.This worked well for the rest of my stay.

The mattress seemed flimsy when I first tried it but to my surprise I slept well each night.

The acid test - would I go back again? No hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Hugo D, thank you for your comments and it was indeed myself that came on the coach and welcomed you and gave your keys out (sorry again for your name being miss-spelled). I am glad you had a good holiday and would not hesitate to come back.

Been to Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen? Share your experiences!