“Very pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Cumbria
“Very pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have just got back from a 3 night stay at the Britannia Aberdeen while travelling with David Urquhart Travel. We had reservations after reading other reviews but we had a great time. We found the hotel clean, staff very welcoming and helpful. Our Breakfasts and 4 course evening meals were lovely, well prepared and of great variety. Meals were self service so we were not limited to a given portion as we have been with other holiday companies (please read my previous reviews) so no-one had to leave the table hungry. A HUGE Thanks to the waiting staff especially Louise whose whitty banter and sense of humour made for happy dining. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others. We got a fantastic deal with David Urquhart so we found the whole break a true value for money deal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear travelfan1808, I am glad you had a great holiday here and found that a lot of the comments we receive are not valid. I will pass your comments onto the staff and we hope to see you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Ok, I stayed there for 2 nights and for the price my company paid it was disgusting.
I arrived and checked in with an extremely rude receptionist who clearly want to be there and who was drenched in sweat and absolutely stunk to high heaven. Personal hygiene costs nothing and neither do mannours

I got to my room which on the surface looked bearable (just....) water pressure is extremely low making taking a shower almost impossible and the window only opens about 3 inches making the room stuffy and stale.

my first nights sleep was ok but then it gets worse...................

The second night I went to place where people eat (I won't call it a restaurant) it was disgusting to food was basic and was cooked terribly. But then I noticed all of the stains on the seats and carpets which led me to wonder what my mattras was like on my bed which I checked strait away...........I wish I didn't it was absolutely filthy which made my skin crawl, I felt sick to the stomach that I had to sleep on that, which I didn't..... I paid out of my own pocket to change to another hotel for the 3rd night.

I wouldn't let my dogs stay in this hotel and I have noticed the manager seems to reply to every comment on trip adviser trying to justify it........you can not justify the dirtyness of this hotel my friend and you seriously need to hand in your notice and leave along with most of your staff.

ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTING! AVOID AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear kg k, I am sorry that you were obviosuly not happy with the price your company paid for your room but the cost is the agreed and accepted cost.
North Ayrshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Remember the hotel is aimed at the high volume, low cost sector of the market. Within those constraints they do very well. I went on my own as a last minute, three night, booking with a coach tour. When we got there the manager (?) welcomed us and gave out the room keys. My name was not on the list so I was directed to Reception. I was given a room and they found my surname had been misspelled. Obviously an error in transmission.

The hotel is well outside Aberdeen but OK for a bus tour base. Well worn best describes the hotel and furnishings but there seems to be an ongoing piecemeal renovation to improve it. Having seen what customers can do to it, I am surprised that it is in such reasonable condition.

The choice of food was limited and basic but the food was well cooked - a marvel, considering the numbers - except for the chips which always seemed dried out. However, this suited me as I am trying to stay off chips. As it was always a buffet, I could eat as much as I wanted. The choice of white wine was restricted to two house whites, each being very acceptable table wines. I brought a large glass from the bar for each evening meal.

I asked for an alarm call at a different time for each morning. On the first morning it was not loud enough to waken me but as I was already up it did not matter. I mentioned the problem to Reception. Immediately, she noted I was to get a louder alarm call and it was to be repeated until I answered.This worked well for the rest of my stay.

The mattress seemed flimsy when I first tried it but to my surprise I slept well each night.

The acid test - would I go back again? No hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Hugo D, thank you for your comments and it was indeed myself that came on the coach and welcomed you and gave your keys out (sorry again for your name being miss-spelled). I am glad you had a good holiday and would not hesitate to come back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Following previous comments on tripadvisor.We were dreading our booking with David Urquhart almost to the point of cancellation. However, due to the organisational skills of Conf.mgr David.Not only did he do his own job but also had to stepup and cover the restaurant mgrs job which he did most admirably. Due to the hotel having 4 coaches staying at same time.David once again smoothed out ruffled feathers.
We found our room spacious clean comfortable and tidy with excellent high speed Wifi available. Bearing in mind it is a 3 star only hotel good value for money. Jeff&Annie.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Loopy_bear2000, thank you for your comments. I am glad you had a great holiday and found the hotel value for money. I have also passed your comments onto David who was glad to have made a positive impression.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Very unpleasant, shocking meal, dirty, .........
No bar food(£5 toastie), warm restaurant, terrible buffet, shocking wine, poor staff, smell of sewage in toilets, no view, bad signage,
Can't rate this one!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Ally S, sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, the bar does offer a light snack menu as you have pointed out and the price of the toasted sandwiches are clearly displayed.
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Over £200 per night for an outdated, dirty, worn out room is a disgrace. The staff were badly trained and struggled to be polite. Breakfast was charged as an extra, as was the paddling size swimming pool and gym. There are plenty of other much better and cheaper hotels in Aberdeen. I stayed one night and changed hotels!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear markymarkxx, the hotel would benefit from refurbishment and this is being looked into. The rate you had was obviously room only so breakfast would not be included. The leisure centre is not the biggest but we do not advertise it as being large.
Keith, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

well lets start with the price, although it's normally about £200 a night i thought i got a good deal at £39 on a saturday, how wrong i was, the initial receptionist was very good to us but then it went downhill from then on. as soon as we entered our room and switched the lights on, only the bathroom one worked from the main switches, we had to find the lamp switches to get some light into the room. after we got organised we tried to get transport into the town but no-one knew of bus times, just taxi numbers, which cost a fortune as we were situated out of the town. decided to eat at the hotel but was very surprised to find no a la carte menu, this is a hotel with full running kitchens, couldnt believe that so decided to go elsewhere. after getting back to the hotel and settled down for the night the fire alarms went of at 1.50am, eveyone up and waiting to get back to bed, took fire engine 40 minutes to arrive only to realise it was a false alarm so back to bed at 2.30am. having taken a while to get back to sleep we were woken up at 8am by room service with our breakfast, which we hadn't ordered, after complaining about that we decided to leave, but not before letting my feelings known to the hotel manager in charge, but even then they really couldn't care less, no refund, just a sorry, well sorry dont cut it at times, i really dont remember ever staying in a place that bad, i would think twice about ever going there

Room Tip: am not sure there if there is a good room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear billymac23, the light switches can be switched from the door and the bedside however if switched off from bedside need to be switched back on from there. The bus times are actually on display on the reception desk so I am at a loss as to why reception did not know them or point them to you and I apologise for that. We get busy at weekends with tours and as such run a set menu in the restaurant to cope with the numbers. The Fire Alarms were set off by some youths breaking a break glass point by the lift, unfortunately we had little we could do about that.

Been to Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen? Share your experiences!