“Worst hotel I've ever been in” 1 of 5 stars

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Malcolm Road | Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9LN, Scotland   |
Ranked #60 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I've ever been in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in and anyone reading this review please don't step one foot inside this Hotel, Faulty Towers springs to mind with bells on.
The receptionist was very rude, although the bill had been already been paid she said she would need to take a credit card from us, or someone from my head office would need to fax a letter to her, you don't need that when you have just had a hard day at work.
The evening meal was supposed to be a carverie, mm well where do I start, the starter was a selection of salad cold pasta and pate, no toast or biscuits to go with the pate.
The main meal was a selection of pasta ( hot ) bowl of rice, burnt baked potatoes, French fries,
1 piece of chicken in a sauce, two bowls of gravy, a bowl of lemons oh and a plate of fishy things, totally disgusting is the only way to describe it.
The staff need some customer care training, no one seemed to really be bothered apart from the assistant I complained, she looked totally embarrassed,
Breakfast was no better, the tables were filthy from the night before, with ring stains on the table, dirty napkins, stale bread, and the fry up would make would make anyone sick.
The list goes on, while waiting in the foyer the guests were all complaint about how shocking the breakfast was, the receptionist out her head own with embarrassment.
I phoned Britannia's Head Office where the booking was made and I never really got anywhere, I was told to speak to the Manager which I did and all I got was oh I'm sorry, oh dear so sorry ,etc etc, please don't anyone stay at this Hotel.
My friend was up sick all night and she felt ill the following day, I didn't feel great myself, I'm sure it was down to poor food and hygiene in this Hotel

Room Tip: Good tip, don't stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Linda186532, unfortunately the details of your booking were not fully in the reception system and there was a issue due to that when it came to checking in. I will pass your comments onto our chef about the food.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The worst hotel I've every had the misfortune to stay at.
It's grotty from the outside, but even that doesn't prepare you for what awaits when you step inside.

The first thing you see is the very old stained and torn carpet that has been patched together with black duct tape, and from there on in it just gets worse.
The room I stayed in was mouldy and in dire need of a total refurbishment and if I had any option, I would have walked out, but all the other hotels in the area were fully booked.
The management are fully aware of the lack of accomodation in the airport area and how much in demand their place is, and it appears that they are opting for the "get rich quick" philosophy and not spending a single penny on maintenance.

£145 for a tiny, smelly room when £14.50 would be a more realistic price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear goldknitter, I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay. The hotel is old and in need of refurbishment in some areas and this is currently being loked into.
bury
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I made the mistake of booking this hotel for two male members of our staff who reported back in dismay that I'd booked them into what they declared to be a dirty, squalid place, that was in great need of both cleaning & upgrading, both in the bedrooms/ bathrooms and public areas. It vastly over priced for the state of the hotel, and they would not be recommending to anyone, other than to say don't stay there. They had never been more glad to leave a place and if Aberdeen hadn’t been so full last week they would have checked out immediately and gone elsewhere. Some one should take a good look at this hotel from the group and decide if they would stay there themselves.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear kathryn11, I am sorry that the people you booked in did not enjoy their stay however it would have been better if they had put their comments instead of your second hand ones.
Fife Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived as a party of 9 to this hotel and where shocked at the run down state of the outside of the building, this unfortunately did get worse as we entered the reception area. I not sure if it was the outdated state or the smell that hit us first. The reception staff was very stale faced and never really spoke apart from ask our name. We were not told that we had to check our car in or their would be a fine, neither were we told about breakfast times. Then we got to our room. omg talk about 70's. But with added smell. Couldnt decide if it was urine or stale smoke. Our friends smelt like it had been on fire. After everyone resigned ourselves to the fact that it was only to get our head down, following our birthday party, we headed for the bar.. Haha oh my god. The smell was even worse in there. The atmosphere was flat and the prices through the roof !! we where told their was a bar straight across the road. The OK Coral more like, everyone in the bar was more than worse for wear and in total we witnessed 3 extremly disturbing full blown fights within 1 hour. That ended the night with a real damper. Oh breakfast wow chips for breakfast?. full scottish selection of rubber, cold food. We certainly will not be back, Brittania group should be ashamed of this place. Just glad it was only 1 night we had to suffer !!

Room Tip: Stay away from floor 3, Its a smoking floor and smell worse than a stinkin stale ashtray
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear lynneog, I am sorry that you and your friends did not have a good stay. The hotel would benefit from a refurbishment and this is currently being looked into. We do have smoking rooms that do have a smell from them and I assume that is the rooms you were in. The bar person told you of the bar across the road, as you asked if there were any other bars you could go to. However this bar has nothing to do with the hotel so all the references to there (OK Coral etc) are nothing to do with the Britannia Hotel.
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

First impressions count: from the outside, the hotel looks like a block of council flats. Inside, we were met by the most sullen, unprofessional, unhelpful and unfriendly receptionist in all of Aberdeen. A young Polish woman, she evidently expends inordinate amounts of care, attention, energy and time in caring for her nails. Unfortunately, this leaves her little to no care, attention, energy or time for her job or for the customers at the hotel.
Consistent with the impression from the outside, the hotel lobby is shabby, as is the rest of the hotel. Strategically placed pop-up roller banners hide holes in the interior walls.
The so-called restaurant is a convincing copy of any 1970's motorway service station self-service cafe.
To be fair, if it wasn't for the exceptionally rude receptionist (and the cafe/restaurant, which we actually abandoned to head into town) we could have tolerated the Britannia Hotel.
Unfortunately, as I said at the beginning, fist impressions count. It doesn't look much from the outside and the lobby is pretty tatty. But the killer blow is the sullen receptionist.
And the restaurant...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Filosofo196, the hotel would benefit from a refurbishment and we are currently looking into doing some work on this.
Uddingston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was totally disappointed with this hotel. It was booked through work and a colleague looked it up on the Internet and said it looked okay.
The decor is very worn and dated. The carpets in the hallways have tape across the joins. The bedroom had stains all over the beige carpet. The valance on the bed was dirty. The bathroom was very 80's with a big black crack down the toilet cistern.
When I went for a drink in the bar the glass of wine I was served had lipstick on even though I wasn't wearing any.
I went to have dinner to find the only vegetarian item in the buffet was vegetable samosa.
I didn't bother going for breakfast I was so disappointed.
I was awoken twice in the night with very noisy guests returning to

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear YvonneMulgrew, I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay and will pass your comments onto the staff involved.
Montrose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed here many times in the past,and will continue to come back in the future.
This Hotel is in a very good position,you are just 10 minutes from the Airport.
City Centre is only a few minutes away,with very easy access .
Lovely Beach,with nice Restaurants in the area.
Aberdeen has lots of places of interest and nice things to see and do,all kinds of entertainment,and theatres ,music halls.

Room Tip: We find all rooms are okey.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear DorothyG, I am pleased to hear that you are a regular visitor to the hotel and enjoy staying here. We look forward to you staying again.

Been to Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen? Share your experiences!