“Has the potential to be great but needs investment” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #45 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Manchester
“Has the potential to be great but needs investment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed at this hotel, beside the beach, for a 1 night stay for business in a classic room.

Positives:
- welcome cookie on arrival is a nice touch (delicious!).
- swimming pool is great (although was very busy when I attended at about 4pm).
- bed is very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.
- ample free toiletries in the room
- Hotel is right beside a leisure park (funfair, cinema, restaurants etc). Great if you have kids. It's about a 15/20 minute walk to town.

Improvements to be made:
-no air con or free wifi in room.
- room decor is VERY dated. The entire room just looks yellow.
- breakfast wasn't very nice. All the food was overcooked (or dried out from staying too long on the buffet)

To summarise, I was a bit disappointed - this hotel needs investment. It wad an OK stay. Nothing special. I would return if I got a really cheap room rate.

• Stayed October 2011
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to make your voice heard, as I have said previously concerning the classic room type the program to update all this room type will begin at the start of 2012, which we here at the DoubleTree by Hilton are really excited about, Once the program is completed the property will then have three great room types offering our guests an excellent quality product to stay in with the city of Aberdeen. Please keep an eye on the hotel website for special offers and we look forward to welcoming you back in Aberdeen soon,

Regards

John Karwl-Jackes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed at the Doubletrees for the weekend and once again I was delighted by the standard of the hotel. I stayed in the Platinum Club and received excellent and friendly service by all members of staff. The breakfast was the usual high standard -delicious food and a wide choice. I used the leisure club which was clean and well maintained.
I am looking forward to visiting the hotel in the spring time.
Aileen

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for the Platinum Club.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and all the team look forward to welcoming you back

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I often confirm to Aberdeen with work and sadly the double tree us the only one in walking distance of the office.
No rooms have a safe, half look into the dark atrium rather than outside and all the ones on the first floor are former smoking rooms and still smell. This room for this month's trip has a tv screen smaller than my laptop. Please look elsewhere!

• Stayed October 2011
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Guest
As I say all feedback is good feedback, I am disappointed to hear you did not like one of our Atrium rooms these are our classic room type and are very popular as it is something different. However if we had known your concerns when staying with us, we could of offered you a upgrade into the Platinum Club which has safes in all the rooms or reception would have seen if it would have been possible to assist with any matters for you. We hold a strict no smoking policy in the building

newry ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We had a weekend break in Aberdeen and wanted to stay local to the city centre and seafront. Check in was quick with warm cookies issued to each guest. Rooms were basic but fine and clean. Breakfast was very good with lots of choice and if any items needed replenishment this was not an issue. Pool and sauna were fine. Be aware that if you have late drinks the noise carries up through the atrium so you may be asked to keep the noise down. would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest
A big thank you for your feedback and I am delighted you had such a good time at the DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen. The Platinum Club is a great place to stay offering you that little piece of luxury. I am so pleased your husband had a wonderful birthday and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We wanted to stay in this part of town as we like the beach and had never stayed in this particular hotel. I would not advise eating in the hotel as the level of service and quality of food is not what you expect in a 4 star hotel. Likewise the room we stayed in had no fridge, safe or a/c as is expected of a 4star. The gym and pool are very good.

Dear Guest
I am so disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not such a good one; it is very difficult to answer feedback that is not specific. I believe you stayed in one of our classic bedrooms which presently do not have fridges or a/c we do have those room types being upgraded in 2012 and I thank you for your feedback and will add your points of interest to the list to be discussed when looking at the bedroom inventory.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Booked this trip for my husband's 40th Birthday and I must admit I was nervous having read recent reviews on tripadvisor.

On arrival at hotel we checked in to the Platinum Suite, it was a very quick check-in with a lovely warm cookie for all 3 of us. On entering the room we were very pleased with the lovely decor and amount of space available, hubby was very happy with Sky Sports!! We were just upacking when a member of staff brought a birthday plate up for my hubby with lovely chocolates on it, very nice touch. Mini bar in the room with free soft drinks, milk and chocolates is good also the complimentary alcoholic drink at the bar each night.

We made use of the pool/sauna/steam room/jacuzzi and again it was very nice and clean and staff were very friendly.

Evening meal on our first night was included and was very good quality and the staff went out of their way to help. I had pre-arranged for some table decorations/birthday cake to be brought out which was.

The bed in the room was very comfortable and we did not hear any noise for rooms nearby.

Had a lovely walk along the beach both days after breakfast and lots nearby for kids to do and lovely walk to the town centre.

All staff that we have spoken to throughout our stay have always been pleasant/helpful.

We will definitely return to this hotel and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

for a 4 star hotel the buffet breakfast was horrible as caterers we would never serve a breakfast like that the reception staff were not very helpfull at check in the first room we were given was small and cold you could hear next doors tv clearly we did get an upgrade at £15 per night although i had an email saying upgrade for £9 the staff ignored customers and it took 15 to 20 to get a coffee standered of catering on the evening menu fell short of the very high prices that were being charged

Room Tip: dont use this hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Guest
I am disappointed you left the hotel feeling this way I must say it is difficult to reply to a comment after the event and as you can imagine when we also have great feedback from our guests concerning such things as breakfast. Our style of buffet breakfast is a standard across the brand should there have an item you specially required then should we have known we would have done our upmost to serve.
Please do feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss any matters further
Regards
John Karwl-Jackes

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre? Share your experiences!