“Platinum rooms good but let down by breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Platinum rooms good but let down by breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed several nights in the Platinum Club with OH on a long weekend break.

Absolutely no problem with the room we had but our stay was really let down by the quality of breakfast and the cost of drinks.

Breakfast - good variety of buffet foods but cooked items kept under lamps so tended to be somewhat dry - scrambled eggs just dreadful! Strange arrangement of sitting on settees to eat breakfast ...

Drinks - we had only one drink on arrival in the non Platinum Club part of hotel - a large glass of Sauvignon for me and medium glass of Shiraz for hubby came to an absolutely staggering £14.70!!!!! Did not make the same mistake again.

Awoken at approximately 4.30 am by a fire alarm going off but it was dealt with swiftly and we were able to quickly return to our room.

There were clumps of grass on the stairs for two days before being cleaned and numerous stains on various carpets.

Really not sure if we would stay again or look for somewhere else if we were in that neck of the woods again

• Stayed September 2011
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear Guest
The Platinum Club really gives our guest a great experience and the Platinum lounge which offers the guest somewhere relaxing to sit use the complimentary computers, read a book or one of the free newspapers works well.
The Platinum Club lounge is also where breakfast is served and there is a variety of seating available from restaurant tables and chairs to relaxing sofas which the majority of our guest enjoy as it gives them a feeling of being at home. Breakfast is the main meal of the day and the variety we have on offer ensures there is something for everyone from a complete Scottish breakfast to fresh fruit or why not try some smoked salmon or a selection of cold meats. We have a kitchen team who are only too happy to deliver anything you choose and made fresh as required so to read your comments is disappointing yet I have passed them on to the head chef, so thank you
John Karwl-Jackes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
northern ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed at this hotel when touring Scotland with Ulsterbus.

The best way to describe it is the Hotel off Horrors. The room was filthy, smelly and the bathroom was unuseable. I was travelling with my grandson and the extra bed he paid 500 pounds for was a camp bed. It was just springs and a sheet. After complaining to your reception staff, we were told nothing could be done, it was either take it or leave it. My daughter had contacted the hotel a few months previously to request an upgrade because off her son and was told to ask for that at reception on the day off arrival. Your staff denied this and still would not help. My grandson is tall and was told by the manager he was too big for his age.!!!! If it wasn't for our coach driver who gave us his room , my grandson would have had no place to sleep.

As in one off your previous complaints, the dinner was like a scene from Faulty Towers, if not worse. The staff were ignorant and the food was uneatable for all you were given. A man on our coach asked for gravy and was told NO.!!

I have stayed in numerous doubletree and hilton hotels before and never has this happened to us before. I have lodged an official complaint with Ulsterbus and also have written to Hilton HeadQuarters.

I hope this prevents any other families from the same ordeal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest
I am aware of your situation as I dealt with you on the night you arrived, I will say in the Hotel’s defence we can only accommodate guests with the information we are given so I would like to advise you to go back to the person who made your original reservation. As should we have been informed your grandson was a larger than average 14 year old, I am 5ft 9” and he towered over me and was a lot broader, we would have been prepared for him. You was upset which I understand I do not feel that the points you have raised are far on the hotel and as I have also good feedback on file from the rest of your group. The amount of money you also mentioned this needs to be addresses with your tour operator as they are the one who make their charges. I would like to add one final point that it was at my request for your tour guide not your driver as you mentioned to swap rooms with you as it was a larger room and that way I would be able to fit a full size single bed in the room for your grandson.
Comments and feedback is highly welcome from guests as it is a way we can improve the service we deliver yet to slander someone without the full facts I feel is not fare especially as they had gone out of their way to accommodate and to also defuse a situation.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Stayed here for three nights early July 2011.
On arrival we were upgraded to their "platinum club".
Room was as much as we would expect, excellent views over the open green and towards the sea (we had to pay a supplement). Some furniture is a wee bit tired.
Don't think service was quite up to standard: we were asked by the cleaner/maid in the morning did we "really want our room serviced?" It certainly wasn't vacummed in the three full days we were there (and we are actually very clean and tidy people so it wouldn't have been a chore).
We received some very nice touches in the room such as: free soft drinks, fresh milk for tea/coffee and a few quality chocolates every day.
Breakfasts were usual Hilton quality and served in a separate dining room located within the "Club" building.
Meals in the Conservatory Restaurant were fine: a reasonable standard and price.
Still looking for our newspapers and also the famous welcome "Doubletree Cookie"
Reception Staff (after check in) were a bit indifferent.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for your feed back it is great to hear what our customers think
Regards
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

First things first, this hotel is nowhere near what you would think of as the centre of modern Aberdeen, it's a good mile walk away, past some very dodgy looking council flats. Inside, things don't really get much better - the rooms were quite shabby, in desperate need of refurbishment, there was little to no mobile reception, and wi-fi was charged at £10 per day (which for a four star hotel in this day and age is, in my opinion, unacceptable.) On the upside, it has good gym and pool facilities, but again, these are in need of a lick of paint - the roof of the pool is peeling badly. Some of the local members of the leisure centre were also incredibly unpleasant, as were members of staff - having charged me for several extras I didn't have, the manager was incredibly condescending about removing them. I travel to Aberdeen a lot on business, there are much better hotels to be found.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
Dear Guest,
I thank you for your feedback yet I would like to add that the Hotel is ideally situated for the centre of Aberdeen and is located just a 2 min walk from the beach. The hotel is undergoing a refurbishment program presently so some of the points you mentioned we are working on currently, yet thank you for your thoughts.
John karwl-Jackes
Prestwick, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have just returned from a weekend break with my wife at the Doubletree Hilton in Aberdeen. We took the offer of an upgrade in room. The room we got was okay for the money, however the wallpaper was torn and marked, one of the lights did not work and the edging around the bath was mouldy and dirty, hardly a premier room by any standards. However the room was generally clean and spacious with a seated area and a view of the car park.

The worst aspect of our stay was the service in the bar which was not the best. I found the staff to be poorly trained and not very professional or focussed on what they were supposed to be doing.Firstly, I got the wrong drinks order, I then asked the waiter if there was table service to which I was told no, However I then watched another waiter serve drinks to other tables in the lounge. When I asked the first waiter what was going on, his reply was " this is my first shift here, I don't know what happens". This type of response really does not send out the correct image. While customer waited to be served Bar Staff stood around chatting and laughing.

In contrast to the lounge/bar service, the service I received from the staff in the restaurant was very good .Friendly, efficient and professional staff who had the ability to speak to customers in a friendly manner. The meal was excellent quality (venison) not the easiest of dishes to get right. The meals were very good value and well priced for a city centre hotel.

This hotel could do with some money being spent on the public areas and being updated, as you enter the front door of the hotel they have an Investors In People Award for " the Patio Hotel " from many years ago. Trying to live on previous glories is never a good strategy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed the restaurant and the food offering, I am proud of the kitchen and restaurant kitchen team. We have a young and imaginative team who deliver a great experience. I would have liked to hear your feedback prior to your departure as this is the best way as a manager to handle any challenges which our guests may have come across while staying with us. I do however take every point made seriously and will be looking into each one so thank you.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed for one night with my partner and treated ourselves to an upgrade so stayed in the Platinum Club part of the hotel. Must say I was very impressed by the quality of the room, the bed was huge and very comfy, the window gave an outlook towards the beach, no complaints.

My main gripe was with the quality of the food and the price of drinks, I ordered a rib eye steak, it was small and overcooked and was of a lower quality than you'd expect in your standard beefeater type eatery but was twice the price, it came with half a dozen undercooked chips and a couple of mushrooms, not the standard I'd expect from a 4 star hotel, the hotel did have a wedding on at the time so the kitchen may have been a little busy! The breakfast was much better, no complaints on the score.

My other gripe was the price of drinks, around £9 for a pint of lager and a vodka and coke (coke from a tap, not bottle/can), I've recently stayed at a 5 star hotel just outside Aberdeen that didn't charge that much and it's also far higher than any pub or club in the area, no need to charge so high when customers have already paid for rooms and food within the hotel.

I would stay again, nice hotel in a nice area but next time I'd steer clear of the restaurant and bar.

The evening was also spoilt by guests from the wedding fighting in the bar area, this could have happened anywhere so I'll apportion no blame to the hotel for something outwith their control.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
The Platinum Club along with our Premier rooms give our guests larger than average rooms which makes their stay comfortable and relaxing with some of our rooms having fantastic sea views all this helps to enhance your stay with us. Our restaurant has many offers on, to help with the purse strings for example every Friday, Saturday & Sunday evening until the end of December eat from a forever changing menu either two courses for just �15.00 or three for twenty this offer has been running since June. On your return visit please remember to ask the reception team on check in what offers we have running there is something for everyone.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in mid-August while touring Scotland.

We received a friendly welcome and the cookies given to us on arrival were delicious.

Our rooms on the second floor were rather dated, particularly the bathrooms. The showers were pathetic. By far, the most annoying thing about the rooms was the virtually constant irritation caused by the noise of seagulls, which sounded like elephants dancing on the roof. They woke us each morning before 5a.m. Given the location, I accept that the presence of seagulls is to be expected but surely sound-proofing measures could be taken?

There was great choice offered for breakfast each day but the 'cooked' breakfast selection was often undercooked.

The real fun and games started when it came time for the evening meals: dining here at night made Fawlty Towers seem like The Ritz... While the quality of the food was fine, portions were paltry and the restaurant staff in general seemed unable to cope with large numbers of guests. If it hadn't been for a young waiter called Yousef, I fear we'd never have been fed.

All in all, I have to say this is the most disappointing four star hotel I've stayed in for a long, long time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
I am sorry you felt this way however I have had very positive responses from the rest of your tour party. When you travel in such a large group of people it is a challenge to please everyone yet should a guest raise any point with the team we will always do our utmost to rectify it. You should always inform the hotel if as a guest you are unhappy in any way this way we get the chance to be able to improve our service to you the customer.
John Karwl-Jackes

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre? Share your experiences!