“Whoa, highly overrated” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Whoa, highly overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Went there for dinner because it was so highly rated in Tripadvisor. While the service staff were nice to accommodate us at short notice, and chatty, this place in no way lives up to a five star or top ten rating. Note it looks like it's a sandwich bar most of the time, perhaps the lunch sandwiches are something special, but dinner was worse than average.

We paid through the roof for some pasta which was at least five minutes too overcooked, not enough sauce and needed salt. Basic, basic stuff no one should get wrong. Felt like we would have got a better meal at any number of chain Italians for a third of the price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Scotland
“Best broth in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We stopped here for a quick lunch on a busy day. It was cosy inside, a welcome respite from the rain. The soup of the day was chicken broth, perfect to warm the cockles as well as the soggy feet.

The service was quick and friendly but the star of the show was the soup, full of chicken meat, with a deep comforting taste.

My partner had the same but accompanied by a chicken bill sandwich. Soup alone would have been sufficient given the large portion sizes of both, but he managed to polish it off whist enthusing about the chicken dressing.

With a total spend of £20 it was certainly worth paying a visit, we left feeling like we were walking in sunshine, until we needed to put the brolly up!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I went here for dinner one mid-week evening, we were unable to get a weekend booking as it was fully booked for some time, and I’m not surprised! Me and partner both enjoyed very tasty and well-presented started. For main I had the veal escallops and my partner had mango chicken. Both were very tasty and it was a pleasant surprise that the portions were large. The waiter was friendly and knowledgeable and the surroundings pleasant. This restaurant located away from the city centre is certainly a hidden gem.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I came here for a sit in lunch. My friend and I shared the fish board, which was exceptionally delicious! I'm not usually a fan of smoked salmon but theirs was so nice, I had more than my fair share. I then had the sliced roast beef salad which was HUGE, it would've been a filling lunch on it's own without the starter. Not being a big fan of raw onions and pepper, my only issue was that there was too much of both of these components, however the roast beef and cous cous made up for it. My friend ordered the double bill sandwich which he found to be very filling as well. The service was fast, helpful and very perky. Recommended.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Didn't even get to try it...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Every Friday our company order in rolls as a treat and we usually get them from another reliable source. We fancied a change and decided to order from Prego for the 2nd time (the first time we called we couldn't get through and when we finally did, we were rudely told that it was too late - 10.30am). The selection of rolls on offer is a bit more varied and includes black pudding as one of the options. I called this time and asked to order some rolls for delivery. The girl on the phone didn't even know if they did deliveries and I felt a bit silly for asking. It states clearly on the menu that they deliver for a minimum order of £10. I heard some shouting back and forth and was passed onto another lady (not with the best phone manner may I add) and was told that they didn't think they delivered that far and that the driver was already out for deliveries (9.30am). They took my order anyway and said that they would call back to confirm. It was all a bit strange. They called back about 15 minutes later and was told that they don't deliver that far. May I note that when one of my colleges went in to pick up a menu he was told that it would be no problem to deliver to our workplace. The customer service of this pace on the phone is shocking. We will NOT be calling again. It doesn't take much to say a little 'thanks' or 'sorry'. But then that's Aberdeen for you.

• Visited November 2012