“Unusual setup, but very chic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bauhaus Hotel

You added Bauhaus Hotel to your Saves list
Bauhaus Hotel
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   52 - 60 Langstane Place, Aberdeen AB11 6EN, Scotland   |
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Somers, New York
“Unusual setup, but very chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed two nights at the hotel at the end of June on a Friday and Saturday (more about that in a minute). It was a bit different from the typical hotel experience, and fairly unconventional - the hotel is painted in strong primary colors inside, with a different color theme for each of the 5 floors. The art on the walls matches the theme, which is to say it's painted in bright primary colors, usually of combinations of geometric shapes, matched to the primary floor theme color. I liked the style a lot, but it's very modern, so if you're looking for a hotel experience that's more "regal" this probably isn't the place for you. There is a full bar on the second floor of the hotel that seems to get a lot of traffic, and the reception desk also doubles as a small bar on the groundfloor (as I said - unconventional).

The room was similarly modern, with warm browns and cream colors and furniture with a distinctive 70s-but-modern look. It felt like the room had been set up by an interior designer, and was decently sized. The bathroom was a little smaller, but instead of tile the shower was paneled in a smooth stone (coriander maybe?) which gave it an upmarket feel. The shower was amazing - the wide head flowed so much water it felt like I was showering under a hot waterfall! I loved it and wish I could get one of those in my home. One small note that may be of interest to Americans is that I was surprised to find that they didn't include any washcloths with the linens. So, I called down to reception, and said they would send some right up. No one ever came, and it was late, so I didn't pursue it. But in morning when I called down again, someone came by but thought I was asking to drop off clothes to be washed. Once they understood I was looking for a "face towel" they then informed me they didn't stock any. That surprised me given how many rooms the hotel had and that they were in a big city, but reception later that day also confirmed they don't stock them. Maybe it's a European thing (?) Bottom line - bring your own washcloth. The hotel got a little noisy with so many people going to the bar, and with the tile hallways echoing any voices. Since we were there on the weekend, the bar got pretty busy, and the street that the hotel is on has about 6 different nightclubs that also get a fair amount of traffic, so you'll hear the music beat and be in the "clubbing" environment when you leave to go anywhere in the evening.

The hotel service was overall very good. The front desk person helped me decode the parking signs around the hotel, but be warned that if you're driving a car you'll have to park on the street - and often need to pay really expensive meters from 8 AM - 6 PM. I found some off-street parking a few minutes away (thank you wifi and Google!), but just be forewarned that you'll have to figure out what to do with your car while you're there. Breakfast was included in our room reservation, and the food was good but average overall.

The hotel was reasonably priced, and given the clean modern decor, location in the city centre (not "center" when you're in Britain of course), and included breakfast, staying here is a terrific value. I dinged one star (circle?) for the lack of parking arrangements, but I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter given that they're farther from the street where the clubs ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Grant is an excellent chef! Whilst the food was quite pricey I didn't grudge it because it was lovely! His wife was our waitress and is lovely. Had cocktails here with friends one summer evening and it was a great place to start our night. Highly recommend it :)

• Stayed August 2012
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night at the weekend. We stayed in the Bauhaus Suite which had a separate lounge area with a large flat screen tv, and a couple of sofas. Bed was very comfy and en-suite bathroom had a an amazing shower. Breakfast was wonderful. Freshly cooked in view and very tasty. Overall, a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again. Only complaint was that it was very hot outside which meant the bedroom was very warm and although window did open, it would not stay open.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for 1 night at the end of May, the only availability was a suite, which was overlooking Union Street, as a result it was noisy, on top of that when I had a shower the water was cold & I did not find the staff helpful

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
West Kingston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

With as much as I travel, I am always nervous of the unexpected, and staying at a non-chain hotel is not something I usually like to do. But seeing I waited a little too late to get a hotel in Aberdeen (two weeks before), and almost everything was sold out, I had not much choice. That being said, the hotel was great. The room I was in, the Fitzgerald room, was spacious and modern. The internet worked great, the shower was clean, and the bed was comfortable. Also, the hotel is centrally located so you can walk out to a bunch of bars, and also the number 1 Trip Adivisor restaurant is right across the street. It was an uneventful stay, which was great. If I was in Aberdeen, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Crossgates, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel on first impression is quite austere and minimalist. When I arrived, I wasn't sure that I liked it. But it improved on better acquaintance!
The room and bathroom were very clean. The bed was comfortable and there was a huge TV on the wall! The shower was very lovely and we enjoyed the breakfast.
So everything that's important when staying away was great. But aesthetically it wasn't my taste. My husband loved the look of it though! We would return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had stayed in the Bauhaus about 3 years ago when it had just opened and enjoyed it then, but had actually forgotten what a nice hotel it is. The rooms are spotlessly clean, the reception staff are very efficient and friendly, and the breakfast was really good with the freshly squeezed orange juice an added bonus. The hotel is just at the back of Union Street so is very central. The only downside is that it doesn't have it's own parking and parking is expensive in Aberdeen. We parked at the underground car park across the road at The Park Inn where we paid £12 for 24 hours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bauhaus Hotel? Share your experiences!