“Lacking value for money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Montmartre

Montmartre
58 - 60 Justice Mill Lane, Aberdeen AB11 6EP, Scotland (Formerly Cafe Montmartre)
01224 584599
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 491 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Award winning Chefs, creating the finest cuisine using only fresh locally sourced produce, bringing a little bit of Paris into the heart of Aberdeen City. Private dining room available.
“Lacking value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Food was really nice. The place itself lacked any atmosphere. The service was pretty slow, a long wait for plates to be cleared etc. the pork terrine was delicious, although it didn't come with 'flat breads' as stated on the menu.
Bit of a mixed review. Had it not been so over priced, this would have been a positive review. i dont mind paying alot for a great meal & experience, but the prices charged, did not provide any value for money. The most staggering being £5.25 for a bottle of water.
Probably wouldn't go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Dining Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I go every once in a while for a dinner in Montmartre restaurant - the food is nice and very fresh! The menu varies, so there is always something new and interesting on it. The owner, Sam, is very pleasant and treats all of the guests nice.
We love the place, and we're looking forward to go back again!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Magnificent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had already visited this restaurant with two of my girl friends to celebrate my 21st birthday and was massively impressed with the beautiful food - so much so, I returned with my boyfriend a few days ago and ordered the exact same meal from the menu!

This time, we had a voucher through 'Its On' and the value for money was incredible - two mains and two glasses of wine for £25.

To start, we both had baked Camembert which was perfect. No faults at all! Beautiful.
For the main, we had the steak fondue. The main absolutely blew us away as there was so much steak and the dipping sauces complimented the meat so well. I also loved having to cook the meal for ourselves (the steak was given to us raw and then we cooked it to our preference in hot oil), as this prolonged the intimate atmosphere and stopped us from wolfing down our main too quickly! I cannot stress enough how much we enjoyed the steak fondue. It was so yummy, and I don't even eat steak that often!!
For the desert we shared white chocolate fondue. Unfortunately, we felt that this let the meal down ever so slightly as the white chocolate was very runny and tasted quite oily. I'm not sure if too much butter or oil was added, but it was difficult to dunk the fruit in, without it running straight off. For £11, we felt that this was a little expensive for what we reviewed. If the sauce had been slightly richer and thicker, we would have had nothing negative to say about the meal.

In terms of atmosphere, Monmarte is very romantic and has an intimate setting. Perfect for couples. When I went with my two girl friends, we felt slightly out of place as it was filled with couples! Although I'm sure it would be a lovely place to go for a family meal also.

My boyfriend and I have eaten in many notoriously 'good' restaurants in Aberdeen that are actually rated higher on Trip Advisor than Monmarte is, but we can safely say its one of the most excellent places we've eaten in Britain, let alone Aberdeen! It's definitely our new favourite in the City and we've decided to go back for special occasions in the future.

I couldn't recommend this restaurant any more. It was lovely!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“1st class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Had a fantastic meal,3 course and wine you get what you pay for,1st class again always recommend and never let's down on quality and service....

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Good for a light lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had bought a Groupon voucher for lunch at this restaurant and as we had eaten there under the previous management we were looking forward to our French lunch. Our first impression was that nothing had changed from the previous regime including the fact that there were only a few couples in the restaurant despite being 1pm on a busy weekday.

The welcome was warm and sincere and when we were handed the menu it was pointed out that we should choose from the lunch menu. The choice was reasonably extensive but the items were mostly of a "starter" nature. I chose the soup and baguette option and my wife chose the goat's cheese tartlet. Of the two I probably got the better deal and although both were nicely presented and tasted OK the question of value for money was doubtful. As far as the value for money of the whole package it included a glass of wine and with the cost of the normal glass of wine being fairly high it did make up for a slightly disappointing food element.

We came away reflecting that the visit had not changed our view of which was our favourite French restaurant in Aberdeen and it is not Montmartre!!

• Visited March 2013