“good food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 62 Hotels in Aberdeen
Walton-on-the-Naze, null, United Kingdom
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Really nice bar with good food and good service somewhere that was easy to relax in, the meal from the bar was good and breakfast was a just right only thing that let it down for me was a single room did get some noise from the rooms next door.Next time I will try a double room which is what I am normally used too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I am happy to hear that you felt at home, and were able to relax.

The double rooms do offer a bit more space and being a bit further away from the walls will help with the guest noise

Thank you for taking the time to post the review, hope to see you again soon.

Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This wasn't my first choice and I had never been before but it was a revelation. The room was very impressive, the food (overall) very good, the wine excellent, if a bit pricey. I can't give it 5 stars as the WiFi didn't reach the annex where my room was and the phone signal in the area was only 2G so email was a pain. My colleague found his meal a bit too salty and the attitude of one of the staff was dismissive to the point of being rude, unlike the rest of his colleagues who were great. I think he was a junior manager and may have been having a bad day but don't take it out on the guests, especially if they are trying to be complimentary. Having said that, I reckon it will be an isolated instance and that this is a very good hotel. I will stay there again and receomend it.

Room Tip: The annex is quiet, the front facing rooms in the main building will get road noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
What a happy accident! Many thanks for the super review.

The WIFI has been a bit touchy in the past; it is an on-going issue, working around these big granite walls. But we’ve added new WAP’s recently and it seems to be working much better.

(As much as we would like to, we cannot control the Phone Signal coverage in Aberdeen…)

I am glad to know you took the isolated poor incident as just that, isolated. The Junior Manager-was a trainee manager-is now an ex-manager.

Thanks,
aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Spent Hogmanay at this family run hotel on the outskirts of Aberdeen city. On arrival we were warmly welcomed by the owner who directed us to our suite in the Annex. The rooms were spacious and well appointed with particularally impressive array of toiletries in the large bathroom and a good choice of tea/coffee etc in the kitchenette. Located at the front of the hotel on a busy road we thought might have been noisy but infact we had no problem with New Year revellers and enjoyed a good nights sleep. The staff at the hotel are the greatest asset any establishment can have genuinely nice people! The restaurant was full but we did not have to wait long for service which was efficient and friendly. Food was excellent quality well presented. A disco was in progress in the main restaurant which was full of families, small groups and large parties but everyone clearly having a great time. Highly recommended will return soon to the restaurant and book again for next Hogmanay!

• Stayed December 2012
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We aim to please!! Glad to see you had a wonderful experience.

Thank you for your positively honest review of my hotel and my staff!!

Hogmanay can be a busy time but the goal is to have a good time and it seems like you did.

Looking forward to celebrating this next Hogmanay with you,

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend as a birthday treat from his parents. After seeing that it was 3stars I had not expected much but wow!
Although I prefer much more modern and white rooms, the room was lovely! Set on two floors with a lounge area and bathroom on the floor we came in and a small set of stairs taking u to the bed area.
The bed was large and comfortable and the room spacious and very clean!
The bathroom had a spa bath with shower over the top which was great!! With bubble bath provided of course!
The breakfast was fine, and had a wide selection, with a choice of hot or cold foods.
Overall we had a great stay and would definitely recommend for anyone wanting to stay near town!

• Stayed December 2011
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
what a lovely review (room 24 - for anyone reading).
we may only be 3 star , but we always strive to give 5 star service, a 5 star welcome and make you feel like..well, a star!
Limerick Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Spent a wonderful weekend over the Halloween weekend , staff very friendly , food fantastic and excellent value for money.
The Mariner is overall a welcoming , professional and fun place to stay, perfect for a short break weekend in the Aberdeen area with great transport links into the city centre .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed your stay with us over Halloween.
(you were quite safe - all the bats are well and truly in my belfry!)
Sandefjord, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel itself is a bit run down, but for a 3 star its not all that bad. Staying in the "double suite" was a bit more expensive, but it was a large room. Decorated sometime before the war (1st WW), the bed was hard as nails and sunken in the middle probably by the numbers that have slept in it over the last 100 years. The floor creeked something terrible, and I feel sorry for anyone underneath my room. The fan in the bathroom was also not working very well and made a constant noise at around 200dB as it wirred in its death throws. We ate in the Atlantis restaurant downstairs, and although quaint, with a varied menu it was pretty much only bar food quality we got and my large beef at over £30 was the smallest I have seen. Breakfast was also a little disappointing, with very little to choose from, although the waitress was very helpfull and did a good job. Would I stay here again, I hope not although if it is the only hotel available in the area, then its better than the holiday inn express.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle Emlyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We did not stay in the hotel but visited the Atlantis Restaurant. It is comfortable, has a lovely ambience and we were given 3 menus to choose from, including the bar menu. The food was excellent - the seafood soup is particularly recommended - the portions were large, and the staff were lovely, especially Alastair! We'll be back when we visit Aberdeen again!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mariner Hotel? Share your experiences!