“Hmmm” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dunavon House Hotel

Dunavon House Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberdeen
Dunavon House Hotel
You added Dunavon House Hotel to your Saves list
60 Victoria Street | Dyce, Aberdeen AB217EE, Scotland   |
Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Hmmm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am a female business traveller and have stayed in many hotels in and around Aberdeen.

This, most recent stay at the Dunavon, was my second time; it would not have been my first, second or third choice but most of the other hotels in the area that I prefer to stay in were fully booked.

My first stay (around June 2011) was ok but one minor dislike that I had at that time about the Dunavon on that stay was the lack of windows in any of the public areas e.g. dining room/bar. I was also, on that trip, allocated a room on the ground floor that had no windows and overall I felt rather claustrophobic. That was in the summer though and now it's winter and dark outside anyway, I decided that this was not likely to be an issue for my second visit.

This time, I was given a room on the first floor, it had a window. Yaay. What it also had was a remote control for the TV that did not work, though a call to reception quickly brought a lovely lady with replacement batteries – this did not fully solve the problem though - not her fault-, bedside lamps which gave off little or no light, a bathroom which bizarrely had no radiator or form of heating (the temperature in there was arctic ,being January), no shelf or anywhere on which to put toiletries and no towel rail. So toiletries and towels had to ‘live’ on the floor of the bathroom, or in my case, in my luggage as this was the more hygienic option. Who designed this bathroom?? Seriously. The room also had a ‘desk/dressing table’ which was positioned under a sloping part of the ceiling in the room that had no mirror and the desk lamp did not work. What was the point in this? It could be used neither for work or as a dressing table.

On my first night, while brushing my teeth in the freezing bathroom, I noticed that the ‘stubble’ from the previous occupant, who had obviously had a shave, was all over the tap area of the sink and had been missed by the cleaners. On opening the bedside drawer, I saw that his half eaten bag of peanuts and discarded beer bottle top, had been missed too.

The food at the Dunavon is reasonably good, and I found the staff that I encountered to be pleasant and helpful, so why do they let themselves down by not paying attention to the detail? This is the difference between a good and a bad hotel.

Dunavon is by no means the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in and has some good points but I will not choose to stay there again. Can I suggest that he owner/manager goes into each room and tries to envisage being a guest in their own hotel? This might help them to see the shortcomings and to rectify them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Inverness
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

if you are looking for a hotel room near Dyce airport at a reasonable cost this is a good choice. Modern clean hotel rooms ( maybe a bit small) and a restaurant that provides a good standard of food a t a reasonable price. The main draw back is the noise from the airport as well as the noise from other guests moving around at early hours in the morning

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

During my two night stay I was rather happy with the staff. The restaurant served some great meals, not extremely fast but I wouldn't expect that from a small place. My room was very clean, but very small. Twin bed with barely enough room to turn around, I got a little claustrophobic.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The reason i say more like a B&B than an hotel.
My room was on the first floor at the rear so i had to walk along a corridar of plaster board walls and doors,on entering the room everything was adequate apart from the cupboard/wardrobe
which i did'nt use as i was only staying one night.the floor in the bathroom creaked quite a bit,the wall between the adjoining room was just plaster board and i could hear the person talking on his phone,sneezing etc.the decor was all well kept as with the carpet and was all very clean and tidy.
No complaints with the food i ordered my soup was pipping hot as was my main course and plenty of it,the hotel has quaint bar with a good stock of malt whisky's the beer i had was spot on
i sat on a comfertable sofa after my meal and enjoyed a nice cold pint of belhavens best and read a newspaper of which there was plenty.
Breakfast was another story i walked into the breakfast area and helped myself to juice and cerial which i had finished before anyone noticed i was there (i was not that early 6.30am ish)
then i ordered a full breakfast on which i can't comment as i can't remember so it can't of been that good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

A reasonably limited menu however food was excellent and piping hot! The only fault was the service which was hardly cheery and welcoming! Upon arrival the waitress appeared to be unhappy that we had chosen to dine in the restaurant opposed to the bar. There was also a doubt that we had actually reserved a table so clearly not checked their list of reservations. Coincidently our neighbours also dined that evening and advised that they almost left because they sat for 30mins without being given a menu! Won't be rushing back! I suggest a customer care course for the staff!

• Stayed May 2012
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Bryson's Restaurant, Dyce in Dunavon House Hotel
We had scoured the menu and this looked an excellent place for a family birthday celebration.
We were seated a little while with menus before someone came to take our order. This should have been the warning sign.
At first we thought it was because only one waitress was serving all the tables in our area, but later on two others appeared.

The menu is extensive and possibly too much selection with 7 starters alone.
It all sounded delicious and quite a few in our party of 14 went for the Cullen Skink.
Disappointedly two folk had to put their soup back because I was luke warm. Should not have been a big deal but we would have expected the waitress to come back and check that everyone was now okay. True to the lack of service we had already witnessed no one came back to check.
We sat for quite a while once we had finished the first course but put this down to the kitchen making sure all the main meals were ready at the same time.

Ideally you would wait until the whole table was served before starting your meal. Had we done that many of our dinners would be cold.
There was such a gap in waiting for meals to be served that I asked at reception for the wifi code to keep the young ones happy with their iPod touches.

We had to ask for our drinks to be refreshed and again waited so long that most had finished their meal.
We had to ask for sauce and dressing.
At no time during the meal did the staff show any attentiveness to our table or ask how ou meal was.

So after 2 hours we decided to skip desserts and coffee and made an exit.

So if you have read this far you will not be surprised that 12 out of 14 cats will not be eating their food here again. We were not the only table to spot this lack of service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Galway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Used this hotel for staying while doing offshore survival training in Dyce. It is more like a b&b than hotel. The first room they put me in was so small I thought it was a joke! I asked for a larger double room and got it. I thought it a little bigger but still tiny. Anyways, food is ok and breakfast is good.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Dunavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!